Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK4WDM

Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer

Post by VK4WDM »

Like a lot of city hams I am plagued with noise, especially on the lower bands, but 17m is also bad here. I have tried an MFJ "Noise Cancelling Device" in the past which worked reasonably well but was very fiddly to to operate. I sold it and have now brought a Timewave ANC-4.

Wow this thing really works well! On 30m, my worst affected band, I can drop the noise from around S7 to S2, and it is extremely easy to operate. Our washing machine causes noise on 15 and 10m but the ANC-4 removes it completely.

Our near neighbors don't appear to be running any plasma TVs which would be the acid test, but I am very pleased with it so far :clap:

ATM my "noise antenna" is 10m of hookup wire going out of the shack and tied under the eaves.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to cancel out my XYL's voice when she is making "stop playing with radios and do this....." calls but I am working on it :D

(I have no association with the company or the dealer who sold me the device and I am not being paid a fee or given a discount for a favorable report).

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Re: Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer

Post by VK5IR »

Sounds very interesting Wayne.

Would be good to see a video of this thing in action.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Theo

There are some videos on You Tube already. I had a look at them before deciding to buy the device.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Yes, I've seen them but it would be good to see how it works at your QTH and the effect it has.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Seems fair value for the $189 HRO offer it at , landed about $220.00 . how about you do a review video on youtube Om and I will forward some wife cancelling ear plugs for you?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The real proof of the pudding will be when the neighbors come back from hols and turn their TVs on, but as I say, the preliminary results are impressive.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3BDL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3BDL »

Does anyone know if this works on 6 metres and if it would reduce power line noise?

Regards

Mike VK3BDL
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3BDL wrote:Does anyone know if this works on 6 metres and if it would reduce power line noise?
Mike, yes.
I used one of these when I lived at Dandenong North.
Noise from the overhead power lines, especially in Summer, was horrendous.
The ANC-4 did a great job of minimising this noise.

These devices are not a magic silver bullet that eliminates all noise, but using an external noise sense antenna, the ANC-4 did a great job.
Ideally your sense antenna would be the same polarisation as your main antenna.
A small (and relatively inefficient) dipole will work well as a sense antenna.
You want to maximise the amount of local noise it picks up, whilst minimising the amount of genuine signal you are attempting to copy.

And something of interest, in case anyone has the incorrect antenna connected: http://vk4ghz.com/jps-anc-4-fix/ :oops:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Mike

The listed operating frequency is 500KC to 80MHZ. I have not had a chance to try it on 6m yet. According to the blurb it will deal with power line, computer, and "general" noise. The user manual can be found at: http://www.timewave.com/support/ANC-4/ANC_4TW8x11a.pdf

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Ideally your sense antenna would be the same polarisation as your main antenna
Ah, a good point Adam. My main HF antenna is a vertical so the sense antenna should also be a vertical. I will go and organize that now.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3BDL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3BDL »

Thanks Adam. I appreciate your quick response
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

An update. I connected a 4.5m long vertical as the noise sensing antenna but it worked very poorly. So I tried 8m of plastic coated wire just lying on the house roof and this works really well. Neighbors not yet home so I cannot check how good it is on plasma TV crud.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3BDL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3BDL »

Hi all

I've been playing with mine today but getting very poor results.

I am using a vertical 6 m Ringo as the noise source. Is the fact that it is vertically polarised and the yagi is horizontal the problem? Reading thru all the stuff on the internet suggests that you need a good "noise sampling antenna". The Ringo is certainly hearing the noise...

May be the thing's euchred. I bought it second hand

Mike VK3BDL
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Mike

I know they are rated for 6m but I have never tried mine up there, only on the HF bands, and mostly on 80-30m where it works very well. They don't work on atmospheric noise such as that generated by storms and rain, only on "human made" noise.

They certainly take a bit of getting used to. Try both phase ranges. As I said above, I thought having the main and noise sensing antennas with the same polarity would improve performance, it didn't.

What sort of noise is the problem? You will need to experiment with the type and positioning of the noise antenna.

I would definitely try it on lower bands that will tell you if it is still working ok.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3BDL wrote:I've been playing with mine today but getting very poor results...
Mike, you may be receiving multiple sources of noise, all with differing phase angles, so a single 180° null cannot cater for all.

It does require some experimentation, but as I mentioned above, these are not a silver bullet, but I had still some very good results on 50 MHz.
From memory (>15 years ago), the noise sense feed was rather deaf.
At some stage I may have even used a 5/8 GP vertical as the noise sense antenna.
Main antenna being a 7 element (H) yagi.

Experiment!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/