Don't use vinyl tape on connectors?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Re: Don't use vinyl tape on connectors?

Post by VK6ZFG »

I usually add a bit of heat sink silicon grease to the connector thread to stop it binding over time.

Why silicon grease? Because it is on hand.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Because it is on hand.
Must be a sticky situation if its on your hand all the time :lol:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Interesting discussion. Commercially and hobby wise I always use self amalgamating tape covered by PVC tape.
I would ONLY recommend Scotch 23 tape for the self amalgamating tape and a high quality PVC tape for the covering tape.
Cheap tapes from various suppliers only lead to tears further down the track.
Only 40 years of experience in the comms industry to back up the comments - so it's your choice

Rex
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Rex

Any recommended brand for the PVC tape?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

scotch , nitto or 3m , check at the hardware for some redip , its used for coating tools and is a decent sealing plastic coating , very useful
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

ZL2WHO wrote:DUX petrolatum anti corrosion tape or keeping it simple... POO Tape. http://www.plumbingplustrade.co.nz/imag ... 00x500.jpg
Full of grease and once around a connector the grease can be smeared to become a solid mass.

Mark.
That's the same as Denso Tape :D

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I find "Starbrite liquid electrical tape" to be very useful for sealing nooks and crannies. Needs a few coats.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Wayne,

Back to your original question and Cushcraft's advice.

In another life I collect coins and banknotes and it is a big NO NO to store in PVC because a by-product of PVC breaking down over time is that it releases chlorine which combines with moisture to form hydrochloric acid and other nasties.

MAYBE a consequence of this breakdown in PVC is the reaction with the metal connectors - be they silver or nickel plated.

Perhaps the warning by Cushcraft relates to the varying quality of PVC tape that is available on the market.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

The Scotch 23 tape is made by 3M

Here's the link to element 14:

http://au.element14.com/3m/23-19mmx9m-s ... OO-DSA-E14

Or Blackwoods:

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/0065 ... 23-19mmx9m

I normally use Scotch 33+ pvc tape for the covering tape, this is a high quality pvc tape again made by 3M

http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/prod ... GOO-DSA-3M

Rex
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

VK4REX wrote:The Scotch 23 tape is made by 3M

Here's the link to element 14:

http://au.element14.com/3m/23-19mmx9m-s ... OO-DSA-E14

Or Blackwoods:

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/0065 ... 23-19mmx9m

I normally use Scotch 33+ pvc tape for the covering tape, this is a high quality pvc tape again made by 3M

http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/prod ... GOO-DSA-3M

Rex
x2

Scotch 23, then wrapped with Scotch 33+. 8)
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Hi Andy

that's right - when using the scotch 23 stretch it to around 50% so the width decreases by close to 20%. Wrap it with a 50% overlap across each turn.

Once the joint is completely covered (and down the coax for a bit) then add the pvc 33+ tape. Again overlap each turn by around 50%.

the advantage of using branded products is there is a data sheet that specifies the temperature and UV exposure that the tapes can handle, whereas the unknowns are unknowns.....

Rex
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I use (usually 3M) VM tape and a couple of layers of ("decent") black tape over the top....but..
for those hard-to-get-at places (and on on Yagi booms etc.) I often install a small (black !) cable tie over
the black tape to prevent said tape unpeeling over time...the tails flap in the wind and look ugly.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Very useful advice from the experts that would make a good article for AR. I hope it is covered (no pun intended) in the foundation license course. We can talk all day able the latest technological wonder but if we don't get the basics right the technology is not going to work correctly anyway.

Something that has not been mentioned is the direction you wind on the tape. Is that important?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK6ADF wrote:
That's the same as Denso Tape :D

I used good old Denso at sea a lot to waterproof connectors. Messy, but works very well.
ZL4DK
Forum Novice

Post by ZL4DK »

Here is my opinion.

Step 1 is not to use pl259/so239 connectors instead use good quality N connectors which provide a watertight connection to start with.
Step 2 is to heatshrink a sleeve over the back of each connector where it is not usually waterproof. Many connectors now come with a suitable piece of heatshrink for this purpose.

You should now have a waterproof joint that is easy to take apart in future. A layer of vinyl tape will add extra protection, mainly from the sun. stretch it well when applying and stretch it until it breaks to finish off to make sure the end does not come loose in a few days.

Self amalgamating tape (under the vinyl tape layer) is effective but very difficult to remove later (why are you putting a connector in the line anyway?).

Denso tape is also effective but messy.

I must admit most of my connections I am taking apart at least once or twice a year to try new antennas or dismantle the station to take into the field. I have had no sign of any trouble from N connectors with heatshrink over the back.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

:clap:
VK4DU wrote:

I used good old Denso at sea a lot to waterproof connectors. Messy, but works very well.
:clap:

:thumbup:

Yes, and can be unwrapped much later on and reused a few times if you had to. I use it all the time at work.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Step 1 is not to use pl259/so239 connectors instead use good quality N connectors
I was surprised that these Cushcraft 2m and 70cm antennas were supplied with PL259 connectors given the superb quality of the rest of the components (yep, I know, should be building me own, but I have had 50 yrs of doing that, these are my 70th birthday present :D). I suspect that you can specify either, so I will contact them and see if I can buy some N type - they have a very nifty way of connecting the gamma match.

With regard to N type. Does anybody have a source of good quality plugs with solder centre pins? I prefer solder to crimp because my crimping skill is not very good and if you muck up a solder one you can easily fix it.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Bit tricky to use N connectors if the radio has a PL259....

:-)

There are compression type PL259 connectors available for RG8/58.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The PL259 sockets are on the antennas not the radio, which is, as I said, is surprising for VHF and UHF.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Certainly strange for UHF......