Raindrops keep falling on my head...

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Raindrops keep falling on my head...

Post by VK2XV »

Following on from the discussion about the effect of rain on my 9-el 2M antenna - where mention was made about VSWR bandwidth - I remembered that the SWR curves I showed were at the end of 25m of RG-213. As we all know this would make the SWR curve look better than the curve obtained if measured at the antenna terminals. I thought it might be interesting to see what it might actually be at the antenna. Prompted by Owen (VK2OMD) I downloaded the latest version of AntScope for my AA-1400 and took a graph of my, still rain-soaked, antenna...
2M_ant_uncomp.gif
...entering parameters for 25m of RG-213 and getting AntScope to subtract the effect of the cable loss...
2M_ant_comp.gif
... which shows that the antenna has actually a much narrower VSWR bandwidth than seen at the end of the 25m cable run - indicating a fairly high Q antenna.

This gave me an idea - what if I added 25m of RG-174 to the 25m run of RG-213 ? Sure enough this fixes the problem...
2M_ant_rg174.gif
...for all those who suffer from poor SWR this may be a solution to all your woes... :J :J :J :J :J

I am going to hook up a rain-detector to a pair of coaxial relay changeovers which switches in the RG-174 when it precipitates...
And again... :J :J :J :J :J
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
North Richmond, NSW QF56ik
http://www.joataman.net
You are truly knowledgeable when you know what you don't know...
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head...

Post by VK6ZFG »

Hi Steve

You are on the right track however maybe you should consider using a 30dB attenuator instead of the RG174. This would make the system fool proof. Such a system would also be ideal for those in cyclone prone areas as the VSWR would not show any meaningful change even under extreme antenna damage conditions!
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK6ZFG wrote:Hi Steve

You are on the right track however maybe you should consider using a 30dB attenuator instead of the RG174. This would make the system fool proof. Such a system would also be ideal for those in cyclone prone areas as the VSWR would not show any meaningful change even under extreme antenna damage conditions!
better still disconnect antenna and put into 50 ohm load and make it impervious at minus 50 db
Tread your own path :om:
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

Igor - Steve - :lol:

Better put in lots of :J :J :J :J or :wink: :wink: :wink: in the future... otherwise you might be taken to task for incorrect technical information...
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Might I enquire , what is the design of the antenna in question?
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK3AUU wrote:Might I enquire , what is the design of the antenna in question?
Not sure what I can add to what has already been described - but to recap...
9-el yagi; 4.1m boom; gamma-T match; high gain/boom length (11.8dBd quoted); 9.6mm el dia.
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO