Publish - or not to publish - that is the question...

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Publish - or not to publish - that is the question...

Post by VK2XV »

There has been some discussion on another thread about contributing material and not being a lurker. While I agree 100% that one should not be a lurker (and put something back into the arena), the question remains for me just how one would go about de-lurking oneself.

From my personal point of view the question is does what I have to contribute (of a technical nature) useful or interesting to others ? An indicator of this is that when I asked this question on another thread...

http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 765#p51512

...I got zero response even though there were over 800 views of that thread. I can only conclude the answer is a resounding "NO !!". Now - lest it is thought I am crying over my soldering iron - I am not unhappy about this - but it does provide evidence for a decision on whether to publish what simple activities I do, or just document for myself.

I can think, off the top of my head, several AR blogs which I am interested enough to occasionally view, but these are written by individuals whose mindset, when approaching a project, seems to be directed to writing up the project in the first instance. For me, it is the opposite. I don't set out to educate anyone and writing up is usually an afterthought. That's because my motivation is 100% learning something interesting - publishing it is a chore with little reward. Please note: I know there are websites and blogs that do this well - but I am too busy trying to learn all I want to know in the time available to me to do this properly for any length of time. And that learning is not just restricted to AR.

A separate factor for me is that the majority (>50%) of readers seem not to actually 'read' what is written and can come back with responses which are more about their own assumptions and prejudices than the topic at hand. This got so tiresome on my blogs that I shut down comments as I was spending more time herding lazy readers back into the corral than answering intelligent questions.

In essence I feel, unless I am going to devote a large amount of time to it, publishing what I do serves little purpose. What I do, and the level I do it at, is of little interest to others and publishing is of little use - at least that has been my experience...
Last edited by VK2XV on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
North Richmond, NSW QF56ik
http://www.joataman.net
You are truly knowledgeable when you know what you don't know...
VK3JUG
Frequent Poster

Re: Publish - or to publish - that is the question...

Post by VK3JUG »

To tend to Lurk on forums (when i get time) and find it a great way to learn or confirm things, quite often thru searching a particular subject you are directed to a post on a forum, and while a lot of people think there posts/blogs are a waste of time and get no replys, 800 veiws means a lot of people did look, and maybe a lot just skim thru, a lot do find them of interest and help. I work alot on the fact someone else has probably been there and done that so i can save a lot of my time by seeing what they did and how etc. I don't post very often but sometimes i go, hey i've come across that and this is what i found, and hopefully it helps someone else. Much can learnt by Lurking.
PeterN
VK3JUG
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

I like Peter above spend much more time lurking rather than responding to posts or authoring new threads, but if everyone was like me there would be nothing posted of interest to anyone. So I suppose there are lots of people like me who are like sponges and try to soak up information without posting anything of interest to others. So please post your experiments/ observations etc and be confident that people are gaining from your postings even if they do not reply. I for one will attempt to at least say thanks to the posters of information that I find interesting or useful in my experimentation within the hobby.
73 Mike
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Publish - or to publish - that is the question...

Post by VK3BQ »

Sure. My blog website is full of junk stories with little "technical" value but it has pretty pictures. However I use it as a "knowledge bank" for myself. Eg.. What was that link for the 10digit grid reference website. . I'll go check back and read it to remember.

My site doesn't Get very many views. But it's not about views.

This is the problem. Try finding a nice "intro to 10ghz" website. That clearly points people to what's required. What pitfalls to avoid and what's a good starting point

People seem to keep it to themselves. Why? So others can also fail and struggle like you did? Or you could spend 5 mins pointing people to your prized resources. Tips and tricks and show that it can be easy With a little direction..

The same aim the vk3 microwave morning at emdrc. Hoped to achieve. Share the knowledge and help people. Not keep it to yourself in the back of the shed. In case someone else gains an advantage??
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

I'm probably just as guilty for "lurking" around here rather than posting.

As to why, I really can't point to any particular reason. There is, of course, the old one of not wanting to get involved in a bunfight that some topics seem to degenerate into.

With regard to posting experiments, I do prefer to do the work and then publish that on my website, putting as much information as I can on the project in case it may be useful to someone.
Which brings me to one of my pet hates, ham radio websites (and that includes club websites) that have very little information about a project that makes it very difficult to duplicate or adapt to your own needs. It is almost like it is a state secret or something.

Yes, there are those that make money from their work, but I get many emails requesting either a kit or pcb even though all the information is there to enable them to do it themselves. I try to accommodate people wherever I can in that regard. The only thing I dislike, is others making money from my work without the courtesy of asking permission to use something from my website. In that regard, I am re-engineering Dave Benson's range of PSK kits for re-release, but I did ask and received permission to do so.

So, to publish or not. Personal choice I guess. Regarding comments, I don't have a comment facility on my website. I figure those that really want to know will contact me and ask me questions or make comments, which I am happy to respond to.
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi everyone another self confessed lurker here. (Lucky I dont wear a raincoat as well) I like a lot of others learn a great deal by reading the forums and find some of the information very useful. I usually only comment if I think I can add something positive to the thread. Like everywhere in life we all behave differently and have different priorities. So like many I will lurk around and hopefully learn something in the process
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Re: Publish - or not to publish - that is the question...

Post by VK2XV »

Thanks for the comments. All points noted.

One thing a lurker could do (as has been mentioned above) is to provide feedback. Just looking at the number of views is not a good measure of interest or usefulness. An intriguing title may entice a viewer (which is registered in the count), whilst the content may not be of interest. Feedback is the only way to inform the original poster of usefulness or relevance. Some already do this and it is much appreciated - but a couple out of 800 viewers really is not much encouragement...

This can be, with the least effort, a :thumbup: (or :thumbdown: if appropriate). A short sentence pointing out a particular good or bad point is very useful. Using the quote button and extracting a noted point by editing is more work, but is used well by a number of responders - but please use the review button to check you haven't scrambled the code...
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Publish and be damned!

-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK7CW
Forum Novice

Post by VK7CW »

I too am one of the most pathetic people of all (in some peoples eyes) that chose in the past not to post.

For one thing I will not post for the sake of posting. I will however post if I have something interesting or can actually contribute something beneficial.

If I or others choose not to post that is my decision and I should not be forced to post.

As I previously stated in another thread, I have only been checking this forum occasionally for some useful information.

Just recently I wanted some information on the WIA Awards however I do not have authorisation to view that forum (and still dont), even though I am a financial member of the WIA.

How many non members of the WIA have access to that forum I wonder?

Should I not get a copy of the WIA Amateur Radio magazine because I have never contributed?

Food for thought!

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

Well, you should now be able to see the restricted forums as you have passed the required 10 posts.
Should I not get a copy of the WIA Amateur Radio magazine because I have never contributed?
Interesting thought, as I get them passed on to me by a member.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3YE wrote:Publish and be damned!

Anyone who tries to have an influence is going to have detractors and enemies.
And some of them will go on a personal “smear” attack using distortions and fabrications. :thumbdown:
Last edited by VK3ZAZ on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tread your own path :om:
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK7CW wrote:I too am one of the most pathetic people of all (in some peoples eyes) that chose in the past not to post.

For one thing I will not post for the sake of posting. I will however post if I have something interesting or can actually contribute something beneficial.

If I or others choose not to post that is my decision and I should not be forced to post.

As I previously stated in another thread, I have only been checking this forum occasionally for some useful information.

Just recently I wanted some information on the WIA Awards however I do not have authorisation to view that forum (and still dont), even though I am a financial member of the WIA.

Food for thought!

73 de Steve VK7CW
This forum is not run by the WIA....
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Before this chip on your shoulder needs amputating, let's restore some facts.
VK7CW wrote:If I or others choose not to post that is my decision and I should not be forced to post.
Nobody is forced to do anything.
If you want to sit there and consume and consume, and not contribute back into your own ham radio community, that is your decision.

Ask yourself, why do you come here (or elsewhere)?
You probably want OTHERS to provice solutions for YOUR problems and questions.
People are finding this content to read, because somebody else has gone to some effort for YOU and others, not themselves.

VK7CW wrote:even though I am a financial member of the WIA.
You seem very confused.
This Forum is open to all radio amateurs... it even says that at the very top!
Some sections require some minimal participation.

This has been explained to you before, and we're just going around and around in circles now.
Unless your objective is to stir up trouble with this broken record, just accept this.

VK7CW wrote:Should I not get a copy of the WIA Amateur Radio magazine because I have never contributed?

Food for thought!
Still confused?
AR magazine is a membership journal.
If you're a paid up member, and elect to receive a copy, you will no doubt receive one.
I'm sure the Editor would like content contributions as well... but we're all too busy being entertained by the moans on a Forum to submit anything.

At the end of the day, if people can't comprehend that providing information for others can be a healthy things for any hobby to grow and prosper, and get new blood involved, then perhaps ham radio really does deserve to die off into oblivion.

My new hobby has been really easy to get into, simply because of the amount of content out there.
If hams don't get this by now, then ham radio will go the way of the dodo.

If some of you blokes put as much effort into posting about your projects, instead of moaning about being "forced" to do something, then reading content here would be a lot more interesting.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

Let me make this clear...

I have not said lurkers are pathetic - if that has been said on another thread then vent there.

I take this view...

1. A forum is a community.
2. We have communities for mutual benefit.
3. Members of the community, by definition, should contribute as best they can towards that mutual benefit.

I am one of those odd people who thinks that good manners should not be suspended just because you are communicating via the internet. I offer the following analogy...

A group of like-minded people are standing at the bar and having a technical discussion over drinks about a subject of common interest. One person is describing something he discovered pertaining to that common interest. It is good manners to either ask questions, comment on the relative merit of the discovery, or at least nod an acknowledgment. To stand there expressionless like a stunned mullet and make no response is bad manners - but perhaps I am old-fashioned. Even worse would be to take note of the information given, go away and use it yourself and tell no-one - not even the source of the information. Feedback is essential for community.

I value good feedback above all things as it helps to refine and/or correct my understanding. I do not mind if you call me an idiot - really. However, I expect you to back that up with solid data - otherwise you might be just looking in the mirror. :)

In summary: In my opinion, giving good quality feedback is just plain good manners. It is an acknowledgement of the efforts of posters and a demonstration of community. Displaying good manners is not "posting for the sake of it" - in my opinion.
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK3ZAZ wrote:Anyone who tries to have an influence is going to have detractors and enemies.
True - but trying to "have an influence" is different from posting about technical topics. When one is trying to have an influence one is engaging in a political act which naturally brings opponents - I think it is called democracy.

The "world according to Steve O" is different from the "effect of raindrops on an antenna". Once one moves away from hard data (as this very post does) it is political and largely subjective and emotional. One should expect flak - in my opinion.
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

As an occasional reader of VKLogger due in part to a lack of interesting technical discussion, I would say you need to promote yourself better. I like technical articles. I had no idea your blog existed, the thread you posted in had been rolling for some time and I ignore it. You need to make your contributions and questions stand out, often this means posting a new thread.

A topic-oriented blog will trail away to nothing if your area of interest is narrow. What you have done by making a general purpose blog is better.

Secondly, you need to promote it. Post a thread here in the relevant discussion area saying you've made a new article and a brief description on what it's about. Also look into SEO (search engine optimisation) and submit your site to google for indexing (the submission is part of google webmaster tools, which you have to register a login for and prove your site ownership by uploading a specifically named file to your site via FTP).

Thirdly, publishing it as a book guarantees that only your next of kin will see it, and if they're not interested they won't read it. The internet, however, is a great archive. Owen Duffy (VK2OMD, previously VK1OD) has made a name for himself with his various blogs, so you could ask him for some advice on how to promote the site as well. Worth noting is that even though he killed off his previous site (a shame as it was an awesome technical resource), most of the contents are still available via the Wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/201311122319 ... vk1od.net/ You cannot delete something from the internet!! :D

Lastly, your Tee antenna for 630m is pretty neat. You cover the design and measurements aspect well - your competence with your craft is obvious. How do you find the Tee antenna in terms of transmit reports compared with the previous inverted L setup?

Magloop article was good too, and you've covered off the measurement aspects very well.

My advice: Don't make a book. Spruik your blog on the internet, develop a following. Just look at Cebik's site, he has passed away and his site has been paywalled and yet you occasionally see an (illegal) mirror pop up with the full content available. People are interested in this stuff, and the internet makes it easy to disseminate.
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK2AVR wrote:Post a thread here in the relevant discussion area saying you've made a new article and a brief description on what it's about.
Yes - I have tried that before (on another forum relating to Radio Astronomy), but I still didn't get feedback.
VK2AVR wrote:Owen Duffy (VK2OMD, previously VK1OD) has made a name for himself with his various blogs, so you could ask him for some advice on how to promote the site as well.
Owen and I swap emails semi-regularly - ironically sometimes about posting on forums and publishing. In any case I am not in the same class as Owen or Cebik.
VK2AVR wrote:How do you find the Tee antenna in terms of transmit reports compared with the previous inverted L setup?
The main purpose of the T-antenna was to establish a stable MF antenna which could survive the weather and allowed running a MEPT (don't get me started about those who run unlicenced beacons... ) 24/7/365. That was a success from my point of view.
VK2AVR wrote:Spruik your blog on the internet, develop a following.
I think, essentially, the problem lies with me - I am a little shy of developing a following - it kinda feels like being tied down. I am very erratic in my interests and spear off into all directions - sometimes disappearing for months (sometimes years) buried in some arcane activity.

However, I think your advice to post a heads up here of things added to my website is a good one.

Thanks.
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

And I wonder what the new Hobby is ADMIN....

I think many here have hobbies in a totally different direction than radio.
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi all....

And I wonder what the new Hobby is ADMIN....

I think many here have hobbies in a totally different direction than radio.
If that query is directed to me (?), it's answered (by my 2nd post) in the topic linked to above by the original poster.

It still involves electronics and RF, but does not suffer from the #1 major flaw of ham radio.
ie: requires other people equally as keen as what you are at the other end, otherwise it's pointless.

Yes, many of us would have multiple hobbies, but the most rewarding hobby soon becomes the dominant one.
Other interests fade away, where we probably hang onto "safety blanket" items, thinking we are still active, but we're only fooling ourselves.
Leading horses to water since 2005.