How about HALF DXCC for DOWN UNDER on 6 mtrs

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4HJ
Forum Novice

How about HALF DXCC for DOWN UNDER on 6 mtrs

Post by VK4HJ »

Compared to the other bands; VK and ZL show very poorly in 6 mtr DXCC performance.Our position in terms of the geomagnetic equator and the distribution of entities in our vacinity determine this. We definitely do suffer a distinct disadvantage, there are less than 8 DXCC in VK and I beleive ,none in ZL.Maybe its time to petition to create a new half DXCC for down under . Half century exists in cricket ,why not in 6mtr DXCC? I will be interested in your comments.
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Re: How about HALF DXCC for DOWN UNDER on 6 mtrs

Post by VK3MEG »

Your in vk4 and complaining ... try it from vk3 or vk7.
as they say good luck with that.
But I have the greatest admiration for those who have achived dxcc from vk a top effort.
Btw dxcc should not be easy
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

dxcc will be very difficult for another 20 or more years as you can see assuming the predictions are correct , doing it on 6m even more so and I can see the reasoning behind a dx50 .
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello,
VK4HJ wrote: We definitely do suffer a distinct disadvantage, there are less than 8 DXCC in VK and I beleive ,none in ZL.Maybe its time to petition to create a new half DXCC for down under . Half century exists in cricket ,why not in 6mtr DXCC?
So a DXLC is what you driving at? (yes L=50 in roman numerals), you might consider approaching a club to sponsor such an award as I have doubts that any large AR organisation would give you any support as it would be seen as catering to a niche group of operators.

I struggled with the concept of DXCC on 50MHz when I had 10 countries worked, it seemed to a long way away then, I am a lot closer now but it still seems to be a million miles away (for all the reason given by you and other posters) but that is part of the mystique of the 100 target, if it was easy everyone would have one right?

maybe not a popular opinion but still it is mine.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj ex vk8zlx
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

I have a better chance of working 100 0n 6m than expecting ARRL to change, I think.

I dont expect to get DXCC on 6m in my life time. Have been on 6m for 34 years and have worked a lot of SSB DX.

So I have worked over 100 countries on 10m in last year.I think I can add the 6m credits to 10m DXCC

Ross
ZL3JT

Post by ZL3JT »

It sounds as though someone wants to reduce the value of the award because they haven't got the time to achieve it? The originator of this thread is almost on the same latitude as FK8. I wouldn't be surprised if FK8CP has already qualified with 100 countries worked on 6m. The question is, is the propagation better further east?... Nah, don't think so. FK8CP works hard for his country totals. He call "CQ" a lot!

Others would like to have some of the rarer DXCC Entities deleted because, "They've never been activated in the last X number of years.." Many, many have never worked, or even heard some DXCC entities, simply because they haven't been licensed long enough.... When was Heard Island last activated? Navassa Island was 19 years ago...Should we delete that one...Oh No it's going to be on in January....
And so on... I have worked all 340 countries on HF and a few more besides... My 6m total is less than 60 entities... I'm happy with that...It's the latitude of where I live is the problem....I'm not going to shift because I "need" 100 countries on 6m.
73 Duncan
VK3ZGC

Post by VK3ZGC »

Why waste your time??

VK3ZAZ / OT /SIX has done it all before.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4HJ wrote:Compared to the other bands; VK and ZL show very poorly in 6 mtr DXCC performance.Our position in terms of the geomagnetic equator and the distribution of entities in our vacinity determine this. We definitely do suffer a distinct disadvantage, there are less than 8 DXCC in VK and I beleive ,none in ZL.Maybe its time to petition to create a new half DXCC for down under . Half century exists in cricket ,why not in 6mtr DXCC? I will be interested in your comments.

Issued by who?
ARRL not a hope.
WIA has shitcanned its dxcc due lack of participants

RSGB had such an award when we were all trying we used it as a motivation
so send your cards there and get upgrade stickers.
2-Way Countries Award

The initial qualification for this certificate is proof of completed two-way QSOs on 50 MHz with ten countries.
Only contacts with countries permitting 50 MHz operation can be considered.

Stickers will be provided for increments of every ten countries worked.

http://rsgb.org/main/operating/amateur- ... hz-awards/

The other concession is the CQWAZ award cos no one can probably get all 40 on 6M they have given us WAZ 30

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awar ... meter.html
Tread your own path :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3ZGC wrote:Why waste your time??

VK3ZAZ / OT /SIX has done it all before.
Twice actually
1993 MIXED and recently all on CW without using any duplicated contacts.
but try as I could ARRL would NOT issue me with a 6M CW DXCC
so I have a CW DXCC all on 6M without any printed endorsements, '
do u think they would make me a special 6m dxcc or anyone else NOPE..
so good luck on DXLC
Try wia again they canned the 6M dxcc due to lack of people, very short sighted?
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Steve,

Are you sure that there isn't a WIA 6metre DXCC award?

My reading of the WIA rules suggests that there is no frequency restriction on the issuing of a DXCC certificate and under the WIA General rules, the award can be endorsed for single band and or single mode.

see: http://www.wia.org.au/members/awards/dxccopen/ and rule 2 of the Rules Applicable to all DXCC Awards.

Worth checking?

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Steve,

Are you sure that there isn't a WIA 6metre DXCC award?

My reading of the WIA rules suggests that there is no frequency restriction on the issuing of a DXCC certificate and under the WIA General rules, the award can be endorsed for single band and or single mode.

see: http://www.wia.org.au/members/awards/dxccopen/ and rule 2 of the Rules Applicable to all DXCC Awards.

Worth checking?

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
sorry to drag this up from the dead but i thought I would add something to what Peter said.
re WIA dxcc you can only get one single band dxcc and its the first one you apply for then they want you to get the 3 band dxcc which in my case is very doable just need to chase up some cards but i want dxcc for 10m single band not 20m that i got by default cause it was the first dxcc i got and i was so excited grabbed it at the first opportunity. silly me so I cant get a single band dxcc for 10m this should change it should also mean the 6m people can get dxcc and the 2m eme people can get dxcc. if you want it.
I have lost all interest in claiming prizes or certificates. I know my totals i have my confirmations thats plenty for me may be if and when i hit 300 i might change my mind. I doubt it. My certificate for 200 worked total is in the draw the only one i wanted to display was my 10m .
ZL3ADT congrats it was a big year on 10m last year i'm chasing 200 on 10 now 24 more to work .. its fun
cheers
cheers
QF22GG
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

We all have a cross to bear on 6 mtrs

Post by VK3ZAZ »

:om: :om:

To group results from this huge country is flawed, heap of DXCCs from Northern VK only 1 from VK2 and 3.
And many in top 90 stuck for years, don't sell them short just yet by creating a 50 incentive, they have already passed that bench mark.
As I said before if you want a half century apply to RSGB they already credit countries from TEN up in increments.
So do UKSMG.
NZART have a WAP award that allows for 50 CC.
DXCC is an operating achievement award,
Its how you feel about your own results, no more no less.
Its not about look at me how good is that? But it seems to be does it not?
VK3MEG sure has 10M results, has been chasing it for 2-3 years well done.. :thumbup:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have been on 6m for 50 yrs and have 48 countries worked including LP to LU and PY, but I am am aged 70, and with the predicted conditions for the next 30 years, I am never going to get to DXCC, but call me a big kid if you like, I just enjoy making contacts wherever they are - I even get a kick out of working a pileup of JA like during the last couple of days. If it is something new it is just a bonus :D

It is nice to get a certificate on the wall, but isn't the true nature of AR really communication and experimentation?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Steve,(3OT) you are referring to something that happened two years ago for one month and was rectified, after you complained about it..

A simple reading of the WIA Awards rules state :

"Rules applicable to ALL DXCC Awards

1. The basic DXCC award is available for confirming 100 or more approved DXCC entities.

2. DXCC awards may be endorsed for SINGLE BAND, SINGLE MODE, QRP, SWL based on applicant data. "
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

2. DXCC awards may be endorsed for SINGLE BAND, SINGLE MODE, QRP, SWL based on applicant data. "
no they cant Trent i have tried to apply for a single band dxcc for 10m and have been told i can have one only a 3 band dxcc after my 20m dxcc.
cheers
QF22GG
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Whatever
we are addressing the ARRL 6M DXCC not the WIA DXCC
and 1/2 dxcc

SMIRK offered a 50 CC ward also
long gone.
Next G need to sort out their own issues and do not try to change hard and fast rules set three decades ago.
if no 6M dxcc are issued to VK/ZL/O in coming decades so what.
That does not detract from those who did succeed due to fortuitist conditions.
Just as fortuitist I might ad as living in NORTH Australia in the TE zones. :popcorn:
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

I see nothing here that says it is the ARRL DXCC in the orginal post by VK4HJ - just that DXCC should consider DXLC...

And yes living in VK4 is very fortuitous.....Land of milk, honey and great band conditions...
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3OHM
Forum Novice

Post by VK3OHM »

Firstly, a correction. For the single band award, you are not stuck with the first band on which you get the award. The system will calculate the band on which you have the most DXCC, and if a higher endorsement level than previously, it will grant an endorsement at the higher level, and on the new band. Therefore, you could get 100 on 40m, followed by 125 on 20m, but it would only be a single certificate. The same principle applies to 3, 5 & 7 band awards - it picks your best 3, 5 or 7 bands.

The concept of a single band award, for each band, has a few issues. If you grant multiple 1 band awards, then there will inevitably be a push to grant multiple 3,5 and 7 band awards. If you were to extend the same logic to the other multi-band awards, to be consistent, someone with 9 bands would be entitled to 256 awards, which strikes me as ridiculous.

What you are saying is “How many ways are there to select 1 number (band) from 9 numbers (bands). The formula for this is the binomial coefficient, nCk. I don't have super/sub scripts in this editor, so you need to read that, and the others, as (superscript)n C (subscript) k. 9C1 = 9, i.e. it is possible to achieve 9 separate 1 band awards. If you were to be consistent, and extend the same principle to 3, 5, 7 and 9 bands, you have a large number of awards. 9C3 = 84, 9C5 = 126, 9C7 = 36, 9C9 = 1. This gives a total of 256 separate awards.

So, the policy for the moment is that the entitlement is a single 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 band certificate. The system will always pick your best 1,3,5,7 or 9 bands when calculating your DXCC count for endorsement purposes.

This is a tricky area. I agree there are several interpretations, and no single one is obviously correct. Like all policies it can be subject to revision if there is a well argued position. For the moment, I don't see why the 1 band award should be treated differently, but let's have the discussion. I am not making the policy in this area, just implementing it. The current implementation makes sense, but nothing is carved in stone.
73, Marc VK3OHM
Icom IC-9100, Expert 1K-FA amp, Diamond W-8010 antenna
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Thanks for the explanation and your open mind.

The WIA needs more coordinators like you.

Glenn
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

I want a one and a half DXCC. just a feeeeewwwww more to go :D

happy to hand in my 100 dxcc..if that's the case.

de Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW