Comments on 5DFB coax

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2FAK

Comments on 5DFB coax

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Was looking around some sites yesterday and came across coax called 5DFB...and so interested to know if anyone is using, has used...it......I have read plenty on here about the usual brands and types but not this...
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Comments on 5DFB coax

Post by VK3ZAZ »

RG10FB by Kyushin is an excellent UHF CB cable 3/4 diameter double screened
<1.5db at 477 MHZ
I imagine RG5FB is smaller
I used 10FB on my 11 el 6M yagi and ran 1KW no problems no issues
and 40M runs on the 6 and 10m beacon aerials at VK3RMV it lasted from 1992 until tear down two years ago.
I still have sections here that are dry and fit for use after that time.
It is uv stabilised and aluminium first shield tinned copper second screen.
N type connectors cheaper than LDF4 and much easier to fit including crimp type
I guess 5FB would be BNC size. Main thing keep water out use lots self sealing tape.
Bit stiff to go around a rotor I guess

2 cents
Tread your own path :om:
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Re: Comments on 5DFB coax

Post by ZL1RS »

We used 5D-FB at work for base station HF antenna cable runs, being a bit more robust for use in areas near war zones than RG-58. The stuff we had was labelled KANSAI TSUSHIN DENSEN and of Japanese origin and had the quality to match. Quite OK, with a solid copper inner and odd size (slightly larger than RG-6/LMR240) which meant the appropriate connectors had to be sourced. Foam dielectric with aluminium foil and copper braid outer conductor if memory serves me correctly. Like Steve says, keep the water out otherwise it turns into an oxidised mess in no time!

Mostly we used the 8D-FB stuff for both HF and VHF. Again, not a ham standard size (a mm or so bigger than RG-213/LMR400), and connectors had to be obtained to suit. Again, solid copper inner, and foam dielectric covered by foil and tinned copper braid.

Recently I came across 100m of 10D-FB surplus for $1/m, a bargoon that could not be passed by! It is larger again (approx. 14mm dia) and quite stiff. I ran 2 lengths in conduit underground between the shack and the house in case my wife pegs out before me and I can have radios inside :lol: The special sized connectors were available on ePray.

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs