23-on-23 +PLUS – November 23, 2014 an alternative

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

23-on-23 +PLUS – November 23, 2014 an alternative

Post by VK4CZ »

23-on-23 November 23 - can we run an alternative event?

When the original concept of the 23-on-23 was developed it set out to create an additional planned activity on 23cm between the various Field Day events so that we could continue to work to improve the capability of our home/portable 23cm stations (and further help reduce the $Cost/QSO benefit for our investment in equipment :angel: ).

Our concept was also that when the 23rd of any given month fell on a weekend, we could invest some more time and get out into the field and try to stretch the distances of Qs being completed.

What we’ve found has been that we are attracting a good number of operators to the 23-on-23 week day events, and these have now extended to include a ‘digital’ activation component to add to the challenge and fun of the ‘event’.

This month, the 23-on-23 and Spring VHF/UHF Field Day coincide, bringing additional activity to the band.

In a discussion with Robert VK4LHD if there was an appetite to look to including an additional event into the calendar between the Field Day and the next 23-on-23!

As I see it, we have three choices:
1. Wait until the 23rd Dec (might have a few issues with Christmas) to conduct the next event;
2. Add a ‘special’ 23-on-23’ into the calendar that combines both the SSB, CW & Digital activities of the current format; or
3. A Digital 23 event focused on providing activity that is specifically focused on assisting the op’s starting out using digital modes on uWave.

Once again, this is not just a SE VK4 event… so of us are looking for the ability to strive for longer haul Qs and value the support of Grant VK2MAX and others who can provide the other end of the path!

Robert & I would appreciate hearing your thoughts?
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Re: 23-on-23 +PLUS – November 23, 2014 an alternative

Post by VK4EA »

That sounds pretty good to me, at this stage I was planning on microwave operating on the Sunday only, location to be decided.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

Well for me it is now official. The Sunshine Coast ARC is now not doing the Spring VHF/UHF Field day so I won't be out at all on the Saturday but I have decided to run the last 5 or 6 hour of the contest under VK4WIS with very limited 6, 2 & 70cm ability and on microwave from 23cm up to 10Ghz on the Sunday morning as this seems to be the time that most of the microwave activity comes to life during contests. So while I'm up at Howells Knob I will stay out for the 23 on 23 so if everyone else is happy with the idea we could run the 23 on 23 straight after the contest finishes which is 0100utc or 11:00am VK4 time. This should give up plenty of time to work 23cm on SSB and digital modes if we wish and most of us will most likely be still setup portable anyway. This is just my thoughts on it and someone else might have other ideas.

Cheers
Robert
VK4LHD
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Robert

I'm unable to participate in the FD on Sat, but am planning to be on 23cm and 13cm on Sunday morning when I can... but will need to see how the day pans out with family (both young and old). GL.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
ZL1RQ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1RQ »

I will be operating from Home on Sat and from Mt Crosby on Sunday. (My site has good views south but a bit limited to the North)
All bands 50Mhz to 24GHZ.

Alan
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Hello all
I am also unable to participate in the field-day on Saturday due to my practice's Christmas celebration for staff. I really have to go.
I am planning however to go to Howells Knob on Sunday morning. I intend to take my 10 and 24 GHz gear out for some more practice on both bands and hopefully extend my PB on 24.
It is likely that Phil 4IIO and Peter 4EA will join me.
I gather SSC club is not officially activating this contest and hope my efforts will not crowd in on Robert 4LHD either

I will have 146.550 FM simplex and local repeaters for liaison and HF SSB from the car if necessary

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane