Are pilots headsets good for HF

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK4BXI

Are pilots headsets good for HF

Post by VK4BXI »

Hi,
there are a lot of high priced headsets sold for ham operations. But pilots must use something similar, and probably better. Is there anyone out there using one for radio Amateur operations ? If so is there one that would suit well ?

Regards Bob
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: Are pilots headsets good for HF

Post by VK3ALB »

I recently used a Altronics C9064 headset with an FT897 and I thought they worked really well. The audio reports I received were quite complimentary and they certainly blocked outside noise. They have a dynamic microphone insert with built in preamplifier. They do not have a dynamic noise cancelling feature. The supply voltage from the mic socket of the radio was adequate and there was certainly plenty of gain in the system. I didn't need to change the radio settings for mic gain very much at all to get good output.

I found this set in the bargain basket at Altronics reduced to around $100 all because one of the knurled plastic nuts that locks the headband was missing. I don't think I would have purchased them at list price.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4BXI wrote:Hi,
there are a lot of high priced headsets sold for ham operations. But pilots must use something similar, and probably better. Is there anyone out there using one for radio Amateur operations ? If so is there one that would suit well ?

Regards Bob
yes but bit crisp highs
stop outside noise but pressure bit hard on ears after contest.
Youc an get gel pads which I sue for flying which are cooler but 3 four hours is pretty rough on the ears.
they are used for demoded AM as you know.
Good one are not cheap Dave Clarke etc.
Mike is electret condenser and has a voltage to activate it.
Tread your own path :om:
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK4BXI wrote:Hi,

Regards Bob
I had, until recently, been using one for many years. (now using a Heil Elite). The only 'thing' I had with the pilots headset was,,,, it was wired for mono so, in order to use it on my twin VFO radio and be able to listen to both vfo's at the same time, with one in each ear, I had to re-wire it for stereo. And, as Steve mentioned, I also had to change out the mic insert.... until I bought an Icom, then I put the original insert back in.

John