Which Morse Key?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK4GJW

Which Morse Key?

Post by VK4GJW »

Okay, I am sure I am about to open up a full can of worms here, but here it goes anyhow! I have started this week in my attempt to learn morse code. Lets not go down the road as to why, I just do! Call me nostalgic or stupid, or variations in between but I want to give it a good go, and at least 12 months to get somewhere proficient between 10 - 20wpm. I know I dont need it, but I WANT to! My question does not relate to how to learn it, I have that locked away with a combination of LCWO and another Morse program that enables me to practice it ANYWHERE in the world, as I tend to travel a bit. I am using a combination of the Koch and Farnsworth methods for that. What I want to know, is when I eventually start to practice sending (which I wont do for a while yet), should I start with a straight key, a single padle key, dual padle key, iambic or what? I know everone (those that actually enage in sending CW) will have a preference one way or the other, and each will have their own storys to tell as to what they started with and what they eventually settled on. So let me have it you CW guys. At this point in time I do NOT have a key. So I am open to any and all suggestions. :?: :?: :?:
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Re: Which Morse Key?

Post by VK4TJ »

There has been a massive revival of interest in hand-sent Morse. See www.skccgroup.com. They're about to kick over 13,000 members and growing. If you have any interest in that sort of thing, a pumper makes sense, though many run bugs as well. I use the Czech military key, and am extremely pleased with it's feel (and reasonable cost!). If your travels take you to Toowoomba, you can have a play with mine. The "feel" of hand keys is a very personal thing - you may hate it!

In any case, we're here to help when you are ready for that first QSO.

Good luck!
John VK4TJ
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Greg,

The one I mostly use is identical to: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1941 ... 20eeba0021

Something like this style should also be OK but avoid paying eBay (inflated) prices.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MORSE-KEY-ON ... 2c8f98d701

Avoid the very cheap and flimsy keys such as were sold by DSE and Tandy for code practice oscillators.

A key (or iambic keyer for that matter) can be made from salvaged parts (eg hacksaw blades or spring metal).

Whatever you pick make sure that its movements are positive but not tiring to the hand if sending for 2 or 3 minutes or more. A good key will have adjustments and springs to suit.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Thanks John and Peter, so far! I did actually see that one on Flea Bay Peter, and thought it was a bit over priced as well. At most I would offer him HALF what he is asking, but having said that, I am no collector of morse keys so I really dont know their value. If one was to stay in the nostalgia theme, then I guess a straight key would be the way. I have yet to canvas my fellow club members yet, and will be doing that tomorrow night. Thanks for the feedback so far, and I do appologise if I am raking up something that has already been done to death. But I did search the site and didnt see too much that was recent. Please keep the feedback and comments coming.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK4GJW wrote:At most I would offer him HALF what he is asking, but having said that, I am no collector of morse keys so I really dont know their value.
Very much depends on whether you get it for 'hamfest prices' or 'ebay prices'.

Leave anything described as 'rare' or 'vintage' to the collectors who will pay over the odds.

After all a key is simply a push button switch, and CW ops were the original 'button pushers'.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4JAM »

I use a WESTERN UNION LEGLESS 2-A TELEGRAPH KEY & SOUNDER on my TS-2000X.
It is well over 100 years old from the 1800's, works well, and looks neat :D
I do not have the sounder connected, just the key. But the sounder does work :-)
I suggest that the key thing is to find something that you like and works.
Andrew
VK4KL
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4KL »

I have a couple of Himound keys for sale

Adrian
Adrian
VK4KL
QG53xd
VK7CW
Forum Novice

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Greg,

This reply might be a bit late but as no one actually answered your question, I will try too:
What I want to know, is when I eventually start to practice sending (which I wont do for a while yet), should I start with a straight key, a single padle key, dual padle key, iambic or what?
You definitely need to start with a straight key. Once you are proficient with a straight key, you can then move onto a single lever or iambic key down the track. You also have the choice of a bug or sideswiper. Or you can learn them all. But not until you are completely proficient with a straight key.

Do not start sending on any other key other than a straight key! A straight key will give you a solid foundation of sending good sound morse.

Hope this helps.

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Hi Greg,

I have no opinion on what is the best morse key for you. I use a keyboard and MFJ493 electronic keyer.

I spotted this on Australian ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1942-PMG-WT- ... 2a487837fa

Adrian. VK4OX.
VK7CW
Forum Novice

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Greg,

Not sure if you have seen or read "The Art and Skill of Radio Telegraphy" by William G. Pierpont N0HFF.

If not, I would thoroughly recommend reading this excellent book.

The latest edition is edition 5, however edition 3 can be downloaded for free from the following link or you can simply google it to download from a few other sites:

http://www.n9bor.us/index.php/morse-cod ... telegraphy

Have fun,

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Hi Greg Like you I am on the quest to learn cw listen to this man . Also have a browse of his qrz page (btw nice page steve)
Hi Greg,

This reply might be a bit late but as no one actually answered your question, I will try too:

What I want to know, is when I eventually start to practice sending (which I wont do for a while yet), should I start with a straight key, a single padle key, dual padle key, iambic or what?

You definitely need to start with a straight key. Once you are proficient with a straight key, you can then move onto a single lever or iambic key down the track. You also have the choice of a bug or sideswiper. Or you can learn them all. But not until you are completely proficient with a straight key.

Do not start sending on any other key other than a straight key! A straight key will give you a solid foundation of sending good sound morse.

Hope this helps.

73 de Steve VK7CW
He has a pretty good idea.

I bought an old PMG straight key at a ham fest for $5 and I have another old milatary key I will get a flash one when I can use it an know what I want.
as one beginner to another I found a contest and interesting toe in the water I'm no gun but can read my own call sign my report and I know what a cq sounds like @ 25 wpm still a long way for me. but in the heat of a contest it didnt matter there wasnt and endless pause after I stuffed up :) and I used a keyer to send my call sign and report. btw I have worked 25 countries already with 7 confirmed I do use a decoder but dont rely on it. also listen to alot of cw when you have a chance it becomes more and more familiar.

The book steve (vk7cw) recommends is really good and puts your head in the right place. "The Art and Skill of Radio Telegraphy" by William G. Pierpont N0HFF.
Welcome to the journey
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Hi Guys,

Firstly thank you all for responding to my initial question. Since I first posted that, I now have a Hi-Mound HM-HK707 key in my possession, and it sits on my radio desk connected to my IC-7200. I have not started to transmit with it yet, but I do use the radios function to practice the new characters as I learn them. I have been almost religious in my practice and daily will spend at least two half hour sessions with LWCO listening and learning the characters. I currently have the character speed set at 20WPM with an effective speed of 7WPM. So I am really learning to hear the characters as a "sound" rather than dots and dashes. I have a few other programs that do similar things that I can just zone out and listen to when I am flying between cities as part of my work schedule too, and that really helps as well. As I said earlier, I have given myself until the end of 2015, but so far no hurdles, and LWCO says I am achieving an accuracy of better than 99.2% which I am VERY happy with! I have the first 12 letters down and will continue on from here. Thanks again for your replys.

Regards
Greg
VK4GJW
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

Thanks for the mention of LCWO, I too have made a commitment to myself to get my CW skills to a level where I am confident to use it on air. I was not aware of the LCWO website until you posted it here. It looks like a very useful resource

For anyone else who is interested here is the link http://lcwo.net/
73 Mike
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

While on the subject, I searched the google play store for an android app for Koch method cw and this is what I found (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uuf.cwkoch) an explanation of the software is here http://www.iz2uuf.net/article06.html
As I commute to and from work on public transport this may be a useful app for when I dont have access to the Internet (or dont want to waste my data allocation on my phone)
hope others find it useful
73 Mike
VK7CW
Forum Novice

Post by VK7CW »

Greg,

You sound like you are doing fine and the HK-707 is a fine key to learn on. I have one here sitting on the shelf that has been used many many times.

Steve (VK3MEG) thank you for the kind words.

I wish all of you who have the desire to learn all the very best and I cannot stress enough, practice practice pratice and repition, repition, repition on a daily basis no matter if it is only for 5 minutes.

Listen whenever you can and make sure you read 'The Art and Skill of Radio Telegraphy'.

When you are ready to go on the air I also agree with John VK4TJ that you join the SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) as they cater for learners no matter what your skill or speed level. It is free to join and will help you immensly.

Take care

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I have joined SKCC, did that about 2 months ago. SKCC # 12930, ready for when I get on the air. Downloaded that article on Telegraph and it is really good reading! Thanks again!

Regards
Greg
VK4GJW
VK7CW
Forum Novice

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Greg,

Well done on the SKCC number and I will definitely keep an ear out for you when you get on air.

I only just today recevied an email regarding a Free Kent Morse Tutor app for your phone.

I have downloaded it but havent had a chance to look at it yet. It might be good for listening on your phone perhaps when driving to work etc.

I'm sure if you google it you will find it.

Regards,

73 de Steve VK7CW