NTP software (set your PC's time)

VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

NTP software (set your PC's time)

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
have tried a few NTP packages for the PC and have just recently found one that I had not seen mentioned before. Its called BktTimeSync and can be found here: http://www.maniaradio.it

Along with all the normal network time features it can also read the output of a GPS from a serial port and keep the PC's time in sync via that method.

Have been running it for about 2 months now and have been very pleased with its performance, it does not seem to upset any other PC functions and is very light on with PC resources.

If others have a favourite NTP package, please feel free to add to the thread so others can find the information in the future.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Re: NTP software (set your PC's time)

Post by VK4UH »

Thanks Peter for the info

Will this software accept the raw GPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt or the G3RUH GPSDOs?

I have been looking for something exactly like this for a while!

Kevin(KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK5EI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5EI »

Thanks for sharing Peter,

I have been using TimeTools GPS Clock for while and it performs ok.
http://www.timetools.co.uk/utilities/gps-clock/

The only issue I have is for some reason if my gps antenna see's only 9 satellites it stops working. Ok on 8 or more than 9. Just does not like 9 satellites, I find this strange.
I also like the simple display feature of satellites in view and the display of your coordinates.

vk5ei - joe
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I've run a number of different ones and found BktTimeSync works excellently after settling with it quite a while ago.

He also has an excellent lightweight rig control package called IC7000BKT which will also handle memory management for the IC-7000.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi KJ,
VK4UH wrote:Will this software accept the raw GPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt or the G3RUH GPSDOs?
Kevin(KJ) VK4UH
Not tried it with my T.B into the PC in that mode, might give it a go a bit later. Was going to try my little GARMIN GPS so I can lock time on any trips away I might do.

Peter.