Tiger 3 digital radar on the news

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK8DOD

Tiger 3 digital radar on the news

Post by VK8DOD »

This has been mentioned before in 2010 in the forums. But I just saw it on the news. Latrobe Uni product.
Unclassified data for public viewing and lots of information, PDFs and videos

Search for Tiger 3 Digital Radar
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Tiger 3 digital radar on the news

Post by VK5PJ »

seems to be a HF / low VHF system, not sure why they say it could replace conventional RADAR systems as the range resolution would be inferior.

Peter.
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

The sheer size, PRF, Pulse width, rotation and beam width of Tigers are OK for OTH early warning and space weather applications but for target resolution at short (<1Km) and extended (>100Km) ranges the magnetron/klystron will remain for some time as primary surveillance/defence/offence radars....great work by the Aussie engineers to design and export the Tigers and get young engineers (gingerbeers) into a HF RF career !!.
VK8DOD

Post by VK8DOD »

For anyone not working in the HF radar field and who is interested in learning more, there is a great textbook available

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-High-Fre ... 20d4c7cfae

Dr. Fabrizio is a leading edge researcher at DSTO and no, I'm not a publishers agent.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Glenn (its the name I know you by and you do not sign your posts)
VK8DOD wrote:Dr. Fabrizio is a leading edge researcher at DSTO and no, I'm not a publishers agent.
I thought I had met most of them in my time there but did not run into him... the book might be a good read but
will need lots of this to stay awake I guess :popcorn:

At least if I have the book I can say I read it in there and not be accused of breaching national security :D

Regards,
Peter