Diamond mobile antennas, covered or open coil?

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Diamond mobile antennas, covered or open coil?

Post by VK7ZA »

I'm looking at the Diamond NR-770*B antenna's, what is the difference between the RB and HB? I note that the HB has a coil, while the RB has a solid doobie-wackie in the center, which I assume is the coil in a plastic housing? Other than the 5cm difference in length, is there any other practical difference?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first mobile antenna, so may be over analyzing it all. Who knows.

Lance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Diamond mobile antennas, covered or open coil?

Post by VK3DXE »

FWIW, I've run Nagoya knock-offs of both the antennas and found the "open" coil to be somewhat more robust.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

Thanks for the reply. As it will be going on a Prado which is already rather tall, the chances of strikes on parking garages and low branches is increased, so the more robust option is certainly a significant factor.

VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK7LDC wrote:Thanks for the reply. As it will be going on a Prado which is already rather tall, the chances of strikes on parking garages and low branches is increased, so the more robust option is certainly a significant factor.

Definitely go the open coil then. I have mine mounted on the top of the hatch on my Subaru wagon and it gets whacked quite a lot with no issues.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

Great, thanks Alan! That's what I needed to hear.

VK3XRI

Post by VK3XRI »

open coil .. give me a shout if your after Nagoya ... I have a few both new and second hand kicking around