Range of 5W HT for repeater access

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Range of 5W HT for repeater access

Post by VK2FABS »

Quick question from a noob. What's a realistic range of a 5W Yaesu HT with a decent 3rd party whip 1/4 wave antenna on top? Been trying to test and achieve a contact after obtaining my F license, I am not having too much luck. Whilst I can hit VK2RWI 22km away, I am not sure my calls are received. Can I assume that as long as a repeater can be easily triggered, voice comm can be achieved? Or not quite the case? Is 22km a reasonable distance for repeater ops on 2m and 70cm bands? Thanks.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Re: Range of 5W HT for repeater access

Post by VK3YE »

VK2FABS wrote:Quick question from a noob. What's a realistic range of a 5W Yaesu HT with a decent 3rd party whip 1/4 wave antenna on top? Been trying to test and achieve a contact after obtaining my F license, I am not having too much luck. Whilst I can hit VK2RWI 22km away, I am not sure my calls are received. Can I assume that as long as a repeater can be easily triggered, voice comm can be achieved? Or not quite the case? Is 22km a reasonable distance for repeater ops on 2m and 70cm bands? Thanks.
22km is quite reasonable for a handheld to an elevated repeater.

A good test is to drop down to a lower power setting and see how many repeaters you can trigger (noting any tone access requirements - see callbook). If they can be triggered with low power then you can be sure that 5w will get through. If signals are marginal then moving a metre or two can often make a difference.

It may be easier to find a repeater that's active then give one of stations a call once they've finished.

More info on repeater operating (and other topics) is available at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/gateway.htm
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks Peter again. Will double check with lower power setting. Sounds like I am getting through but for a lack of responder/s. Yes, have programmed all the local repeaters. Will try to get to know what happens on them.

BTW, thanks for the link to your page for beginners. Looks excellent!
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

have a try on vk2rmb

2 metre – status: operational
146.875 MHz FM output, 146.275 MHz input

the manly wahringa guys are always active on the is device

(its in terry hills) you should see it from most of metro sydney.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Will monitor VK2RMB. Thanks. Overall, I can't fail to think what the AR repeater usage was like some 20-30 or so years ago. Was it this quiet generally?
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Scan around in the evenings for club nets. HADARC ha a 2M one on Mon nights at 8 PM on 147.250 for example. Plus listen out during the AM and PM daily commutes, there are usually plenty of folk active then. The Carlongford 70 cm repeater is rarely quiet during these times.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

I know when I first got licensed, I was super concerned with making sure I said the correct thing, so would only announce myself with "VK7LCD Listening". The problem was no-one knew me, so didn't respond. After a few weeks of no response, I tried "VKL7LDC calling CQ", with immediate results. While not the "done thing" on repeaters, making it explicit that you are looking for someone to say hello to was what was needed. Now I just do the listening part, and as I'm known on the repeater people jump on. So try throwing out a CQ call. If I'm on a new repeater, I do CQ, and more often than not, I get an answer.

Good luck!
Lance
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks Lance. That indeed is the case as I've discovered.
Weiyun VK2FABS