Amateur Radio photography project - help needed.

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4FLYN

Amateur Radio photography project - help needed.

Post by VK4FLYN »

Hi All,

I'm a photographic artist based in Brisbane and also an amateur radio operator (VK4FLYN). I've recently completed a photographic exhibition (ENVIRO) which ran in the Queensland Festival of Photography (April - 2014) - http://www.festivalofphotography.com.au ... oto-frenzy

That exhibition and more of my work can be found on the following sites:

http://www.owenflynn.com
http://banshee777.tumblr.com

I'm looking to start work on my next photography project and have decided to focus on another passion - amateur radio. The project is called "HAM" as per below:

HAM
Working with Amateur Radio enthusiasts (or "Hams") in documenting both their environments and themselves as they participate in a generational handover to the next group of enthusiasts amidst the relentless advances of technology. Identified by first name and call sign the project aims to demonstrate the ability for radio to both promote inter-personal communications whilst also distilling human identity to the unique identifier that is a call sign.

For this project to be any success I'll need a reasonable number of people to photograph - at the moment my thinking is ~50-60 (if not more) and I expect it to take at least 12 - 18 months. The aim is to visit 1 or 2 hams on the weekends and take a portrait photograph (40-60 minutes) either in your shack, outside with your array/antenna farm or any where else you are more comfortable with (if possible I would like some photos to include the shack or radio equipment to provide some context to the whole thing). This project is not about shack show-ponies so please feel free to participate no matter how modest or grandiose your personal situation. Variety is absolutely encouraged. I have to limit how far I can travel so Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast are the preferred locations for now.

In return for sitting for your portrait you will receive a professionally printed 8x12 print of your portrait mailed to you and a digital copy of the photograph emailed to you for your own personal (non-commercial) use. The project will be exhibited with on-line promotion and presence and if there are sufficient numbers a photo book may be created. A model release will need to be signed before the portrait sitting.

I realise that there is always some trepidation around having photographs of yourself and/or gear being made public and I can assure you that I am on the level in this regard but ultimately only you can be the best judge of what you are comfortable with.

If you are interested please email me on photo@owenflynn.com and I'll start gathering the numbers and see if this will prove viable to get started.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to working with you in both capturing a portrait you and your family can cherish and also promoting the diversity and "face" of amateur radio to the general public. I trust I've been as forthcoming on detail and the process, plus as open and honest on my expectations but if you have any questions please contact me and I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Owen
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: Amateur Radio photography project - help needed.

Post by VK5ZLR »

Interesting project Owen.....fortunately I'm well out of your catchment area !

Maybe hit up the Wallies Institute for some sponsorship spondoolies.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Fantastic project Owen.

Hope you get enough subjects.

Would be good to see a mix of shack, tower, mobile and portable pics.

The antennas we use, whether 630m or microwave, would provide many framing and perspective opportunities.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Hey Owen,

I am up for that. My home station is VERY basic, as is my antenna farm, but your more than welcome to snap it!

Regards
Greg
VK4GJW
VK4FLYN

Post by VK4FLYN »

Thanks guys, appreciate the support.
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

Owen,

Can I be bold enough to suggest you contact the Redcliffe Radio Club. They are well and truly accustomed to having cameras (mine!) stuck in their faces and there is a host of photographic opportunities available - everything from our home brew competitions to microwave activity days and, of course John Moyle field days. Oh, did I mention cw operators...

Look forward to having you poke around with your camera!
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Dear Owen
I would like to reinforce the suggestion of John VK4BZ as above.
I suggest a visit to meet the guys at the Redcliffe Club and have a chance to explain your project. I am sure you will get plenty of support and offers of mugshots etc.

The club meets ever Monday evening from 7:00 The address and directions are on their website. Try a Google of Redcliffe and Districts Radio Club

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

Good luck Owen, with reference to your pristine shack issue, please view the following. I think it says a lot about Amateur radio.
http://www.frequency.com/video/big-julie-kentw/31796888
73 Mike
VK4FLYN

Post by VK4FLYN »

Hi everyone and thank you for your responses. I've been a little tied up with that thing called life - new contracting job etc. s my apologies for not replying sooner.

Looking at the responses I have had from individuals (thank you Kevin and Greg) it is apparent that the only way to get this moving will be by lobbying at the club level as has been suggested......so that will be my next port of call (It's probably about time I was a bit more active and joined a club myself anyway). Thanks again everyone for your feedback and support and I'm sure I'll be popping up at your club over time......or I may run a photo booth at BARCFest (or similar). :crazy: