WSPR-X File Save Issue

WSPR discussion
VK2KRR

WSPR-X File Save Issue

Post by VK2KRR »

I knew about this potential issue, but it was brought to my attention again this morning by Kane VK3HKH in Shepparton.

As you may or may not be aware, the WSPR-X propgram has a tab called SAVE. There are a few differet save options in this tab.
WSPR X Save
WSPR X Save
But just be aware, if you click save NONE, that it does not work :!: :thumbdown: And the program will continue to save .wave and text files to your hard drive, eventually filling your hard disk space up.

So to get around this, Kane has given me a suggestion.
Click SETUP tab and then options (or press F2).
Down the bottom of the options screen there is a box called SAVE DIRECTORY.
Delete everything in the Save Directory box and press OK.
The program now doesnt know where to save the files to and thus wont save them.
WSPR X Save 2
WSPR X Save 2
I have not tried this method, but Kane assures me that it works as he has had it set up for past 2 weeks.

If you wish to keep a record of all your files saved by WSPR X, in case you need to refer back to them at some stage, then you just need to keep an eye on your WSPR X folder on your hard drive (in the SAVE folder and ALL_WSPR text file) and perhaps clean it out every few months to stop your hard drive space filling up.
VK5ACY

Re: WSPR-X File Save Issue

Post by VK5ACY »

Thanks Leigh - I just found 22GB of saved files....but they are in a 1 TB HDD so not a problem...yet ! . :D

Billo
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK5ACY wrote:Thanks Leigh - I just found 22GB of saved files....but they are in a 1 TB HDD so not a problem...yet ! . :D

Billo

Very interesting. Mine is running 24/7, except when it crashes and/or stops uploading. Only had +/- 650Mb of files, so probably has something to do with it being started/restarted??

Edit: BTW Billo, you have an esteemed namesake. Many years ago in a different career, I spent a bit of time with then Governor General, Sir William Dean. VERY down-to-Earth gentleman. His nickname very quickly became "Billo". :mrgreen:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

If the software makes files and doesn't provide facilities for automatic management, you could write yourself a little script that cleans up old log files, and run it at boot or periodically using cronlite or the like.

Here is an example python script that I use on the grabber.

Code: Select all

import glob
import os
import datetime
import time
import sys

os.chdir('\qrss')
sys.stdout=open('clean.log','w')

print(sys.version_info)

n=time.time()
print('n is ',n)
#get list of files
files=glob.glob('capture\SL*.jpg')
for file in files:
  #for each file calculate age, and if too old, delete.
	age=(n-os.path.getmtime(file))/3600/24
	if(age>1):
	  print(file,age)
	  os.unlink(file)
Owen
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Just a friendly reminder for those running WSPR-X and maybe other versions.

Go into your PC hard drive directory for your WSPR program and open the SAVE folder. If there is hundreds of WAV files and other things in here it might pay you to select them all and delete them to free up space on your hard disc.

While your at it go to the ALL_WSPR text file and delete the contents of that one too (if you dont want it).

I've just done mine today, hence the reminder. :D