VK4 Microwave Activity Day - August 10th

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

VK4 Microwave Activity Day - August 10th

Post by VK3KGR »

The Brisbane VHF Group has set the date for the next Microwave Activity Day as Sunday 10 August.

This day is going to have a theme of - Digital modes.

Some of us are going to give digital modes a try on the microwave bands. (Why should Rex have all the fun !!!)

For those not wanting to play digital, the normal voice contacts will also take place.

More details will be available after the next VHF Group meeting on 23 July.

73 Geoff VK4KJJ
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: VK4 Microwave Activity Day - August 10th

Post by VK4CLG »

Thanks Geoff.
You can count me in to have a bit of a play on the day. I'm not yet digital mode capable on microwave but will work on something between now and August. My home shack is fully digital mode capable (80m to 23cm) and it won't take much to make up an interface for the microwave gear. Just let me know what digital modes you will be using so I know what to download into the laptop.
I will most likely be at Howells Knob QG63JF unless I can find another location close to home but away from the public so to not annoy me or them. I will have a generator with me so I got to consider the noise if too close to homes. I will also try and have another full call licence holder with me so I can use the 3.4Ghz and 10Ghz gear otherwise it will just be 1.2Ghz, 2.4Ghz and 5.7Ghz in play under my call sign if I'm working solo on the day.

Robert.
VK4LHD
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

For those like me who are new to digital modes there will be a talk and demo at the Brisbane VHF group meeting on Wednesday 23rd July.

73 Geoff VK4KJJ
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

Activity Day (MADD) on 10th August 2014 to be a Digital mode theme all VHF and higher bands will be in use; Don't forget August 10th 2014. Also on the 23rd July @ Club meeting @ Robs VK4ZDX's Place (see info on web page for address etc.) There will be a talk by VK4UH Kevin, VK4MIL Colin on the ins & outs of the mode, with live demo's on 2.4ghz. 23 on 23 is also on that nite, will have a set up for this as well, should be a big nite. See U There. Or see more @ http://brisbanevhfgroup.com
Last edited by VK4MJF on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

G'day all

Peter VK4EA who was going to be the other half of the digital modes presentation at the BVHFG meeting this week is still away on the cape. Regrettably we have had to reschedule this presentation.

I will however be bringing some gear and some new ideas to assist with microwave dish pointing out in the field.

I have a big day scheduled in the city but hope not to be too late to the meeting

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

VK4UH wrote:G'day all

Peter VK4EA who was going to be the other half of the digital modes presentation at the BVHFG meeting this week is still away on the cape. Regrettably we have had to reschedule this presentation.

I will however be bringing some gear and some new ideas to assist with microwave dish pointing out in the field.

I have a big day scheduled in the city but hope not to be too late to the meeting

Kevin VK4UH

Activity Day (MADD) on 10th August 2014 to be a Digital mode theme all VHF and higher bands will be in use; Don't forget August 10th 2014. Also on the 23rd July @ Club meeting @ Robs VK4ZDX's Place (see info on web page for address etc.) There will be a talk by VK4UH Kevin, VK4MIL Colin on the ins & outs of the mode, with live demo's on 2.4ghz. 23 on 23 is also on that nite, will have a set up for this as well, should be a big nite. We will still be running a demo on the modes as well as all the other activities listed for the evening.. See U There. Or see more @ http://brisbanevhfgroup.com
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

Count me in for the day and I will operate from my usual location at Howell Knob (QG63JF) and will have all bands from 23cm to 10Ghz but may have to find an advance call to be with me to work 3.4Ghz and 10GHz. (I haven't upgraded my licence yet) I would like to use my 23 on 23 spot on Buderim but I don't really think it would be microwave friendly or have a very wide coverage area. It's good for Brisbane but that's about it.
As for being a digital mode day what digital modes are we talking about. JT65, SSTV, PSK31 or what. It would be nice to know what modes we are working so I have the right software loaded in the laptop. The big 64 million dollar question is how are we going to coordinate the day. The last time it was just a free for all working any band at any time and no one knew who was doing what and when. I really think we need a time table to work from and stick as close as possible to it. For e.g.

start time 10am
10am - 11am 23cm
11am - 12pm 2.4Ghz & 3.4Ghz
12pm - 1pm 5.7Ghz
1pm - 2pm 10Ghz and over.

It don't have to be exactly like that but working to something like that would have everyone on the same band and doing the same thing allowing everyone to have a go. This is just my 2 cents worth on the subject and someone else might give a reason why it will or won't work and what needs to be changed but I would like it to be a fair playing field for everyone and not just for the top guns of Microwave in South East VK4.

Cheers
Robert.
VK4LHD
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

Robert,

Part of the reason for the digital theme is to play around with various modes and see how they work. So there is no defined mode for the MAD.

I want to try the JT4 modes myself.

Geoff
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

I'm happy to be at Howell's Knob, I need some more pointing practice before going further afield. I'll have 1.2 to 24GiggleHertz & fsk441/jt65/jt4 capability. I'd support some sort of timetable as Robert suggests, the last one was too much of a free for all. Can we settle on a number of liaison frequencies? Say, 146.550 MuggleHertz FM & I could be listening on 7145 kill-a-Hurtz LSB as well. Knowing where everybody else is, before the day will help me put together a table of compass headings. And of course, vklogger mapping is your friend, update your /P profile please.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

VK4EA wrote:I'm happy to be at Howell's Knob, I need some more pointing practice before going further afield. I'll have 1.2 to 24GiggleHertz & fsk441/jt65/jt4 capability. I'd support some sort of timetable as Robert suggests, the last one was too much of a free for all
Thanks Peter. At least I won't be on my own up at Howells Knob and I will need an Advanced licence holder with me to work 3.4Ghz & 10Ghz. I was going to use my 23 on 23 portable location at Buderim but I still do need a bit of support before going solo on one of these MAD's.
At this stage I will only have digital modes from 1.2Ghz to 5.7Ghz as I can't get digital modes working on 10Ghz but I am still working on it and if by some miracle I get it working then I will be on 10Ghz with digital modes as well.
I may also be a little bit off freq on the day as well because to get digital modes working I had to change radios from my FT-817 to my IC-7000 as my IF radio and the IC-7000 is off freq on 2m SSB by about 200Hz so please bare with me on that on the day. If I can get the FT-817 working then it won't be a problem.
I'm ready with JT65, JT4, FSK441, and if possible PSK31 but I would like to have a go at SSTV if anyone else is going to use it. Even if it's only on the lower bands it could be worth giving it a go.
Anyway I'm looking forward to next weekend and I hope it is supported by more that just 3 or 4 stations.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

OK, so far we have, to my knowledge. Other participants PLEASE chip in.

Myself and Rob (VK4LHD) @ Howell's Knob
VK4WIE crowd @ Mt Gravatt
VK4MIL possibily @ Cooran
VK4UH possibly @ Mt Cootha

Any others?
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

I will try and get to Gormans gap lookout on 23 and 9cm......

Phil VK4CDI
VK4AQF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4AQF »

I might try Clear Mountain, QG62KQ, good lookout south. Unlikely to be on digital possible listen only.
Bands 23cm, 13cm, 6cm.
vk4aqf
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4JAM »

I aim to be on 23cm and hopefully 3cm from my home qth. I have los to Mt Gravatt and Mt Coot-tha. From previous contacts I also have reasonable propagation to other locations on 23cm.
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Unfortunately I wont be able to get out into the field, but will be active from home (south eastern end of the ridge from Clear Mt - QG62lp) with 1296 and 2403MHz on all modes (subject to finishing FT-817 leads for digital).

This will limit my ability to the north, but given the great scatter path/reflections that we've been able to exploit during the 23-on-23 activities, I'm sure that this won't impede me too much (plus we dont really want strong signals on digital modes anyway :crazy: ).

See/hear you on Sunday. :beer:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

I have just finished GPS locking my rigs tonight so all set for Sunday. I have digital running on 1296 and 10 GHz. I plan to go to the lookout at Hamilton.

73 Geoff
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

I will be operating from the top of my back paddock on Sunday QG62kp
Planning for 2.4 and 10 GHz digital
Liaison on 144.550 FM simplex

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

I went 4WD adventuring this morning and will be setting up tomorrow on a high-ish spot about 1.5KM away from home, still in QG62LG, some trees but otherwise with what should be a reasonable path to the north and north-east.

I will have the transverter complement from 1296 to 10GHz on board as well as a 2M FM rig for liason (146.500, 144.550 ?), with a vertical whip only on 2M. I have some concerns about the power dissipation in the microwave PAs under the higher transmit duty cycle, i.e. under the digital modes versus normal SSB.

The netbook and Signalink haven't been set up yet but I have extended the PTT line so that I can key the transverters while using the Signalink. The latest versions of WSJT, WSPR etc have been installed (but not configured) and, hopefully, they will be the only comms suites I will need. If not, post a response urgently as I won't have internet access away from home.

I will try to be set up by about 9AM and be there for a few hours (2-3) so anybody who wants to work me, don't mess about else I will be QRT.

VKLogger /P profile updated.....
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

I'm assuming that digital will be up on XXXX.225 or XXXX.230... and SSB XXXX.150 :idea:

Can someone please confirm plans?
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Ready...... and waiting!

Scott
VK4CZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free