Are hams allowed to repair or modify mains-powered equipment

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Re: Are hams allowed to repair or modify mains-powered equip

Post by VK2MUS »

Owen
I fully understand the argument that foundation operators should upgrade or die - however that is not the matter of debate. One should also consider that there are a number of people that are not licensed to operate radios that actually do design and code the required software for SDR's - the subject of my post was that technology may have surpassed the regulations. As to kits as mentioned in one of the posts - the regulations and the Act does not stop anyone licensed or not from building or modding a radio - it simply stops them from operating it - so a foundation operator can purchase a kit and build it but he can't operate it but the silly aspect of the regulations is that he can give it to a Standard operator who can operate it. However a pimply teenager who understands the mathematics required to program a SDR interface can go and code it and give it to a foundation operator to use on his SDR . So we should think more about updating the regulations and the Act
john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2MUS wrote:Owen
I fully understand the argument that foundation operators should upgrade or die.
To be clear, I did not say or imply that, nor is that my opinion.

The outcome of the reform is that anyone is entitled to 'park' at any licence level indefinitely, there are no sunset clauses.

Owen
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

hi there all
i find it funny how everything come back to the f call :D :thumbup: :thumbup: ,
but when it come to the disconnect and reconnect of electrical equipment here in Victoria it is up to Energy safe Victoria to say who can and cannot work on main powered equipment. a plumber can disconnect and reconnect a hot water service if it is like for like and with the right license, yet anyone can wire up the inside of a caravan for 240 volts and no license needed, as for equipment that hams are likely to use would be on a plug and once removed form the socket it is no longer mains powered it would need to be PAT tested and tagged before it went onto any work site like a repeater site trough.i believe it is the same for all the other states.
ken
VK3AIF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AIF »

Unfortunately commercial manufacture is no gaurantee of safety and like already has been pointed out, anyone can and does wire up caravans and the like no supervision or license required? If you think all the imported stuff that claims to be compliant is put together by suitably qualified trades people have another think.

Here are but a couple of links, there are countless more if you care to look that will put your mind at rest when purchasing commercial gear NOT.

http://www.testtagmelbourne.net/recall- ... ion-leads/
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/inde ... mId/952814

Live chassis design has been covered for TVs but there were locally built radios that did the same thing and likely other appliances as well?

So IMHO the regulations are farcical and you must treat everything electrical as potentially dangerous. I have heard a ridiculious quote stating that non electrical technicians (electronic, instrument etc) are not permitted to touch anything between the mains plug and the transformer but after that it's open slather? Workplace Health & Safety at at work wanted to ban all in house manufactured extension leads, power boards, instruments and test equipment at one stage but I think they have backed off that recently when shown the recall lists.

So where that leaves us, who knows, just make sure you don't make a mistake ay?
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

At the end of the day, the key is common sense. Darwinism will always be there to take care of those who don't realise they are doing stupid things. :crazy:
Weiyun VK2FABS