WIA News Broadcast - too weird for me!

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3KR

WIA News Broadcast - too weird for me!

Post by VK3KR »

On last Sunday's broadcast under the heading 'Weird and Wonderful', there was an item on solar energy. The point being made was that photo-voltaic panels on rooftops don't just absorb energy from the sun, but exert a pulling effect, draining additional energy that may have catastrophic near term (referred to geological time) effects.

I usually listen to the broadcast via podcast while commuting and I found this so ridiculous that I rewound and listened again. The piece was inserted into the news stream with no change of tone or hint that it was satire.

I checked the transcript on the WIA site and found an attribution at the end – the item is from a site called 'National Report', which according to Wikipedia, publishes satirical stories with extreme right themes that have occasionally been picked up by straight news outlets and reported as fact.

http://nationalreport.net/solar-panels- ... perts-say/

I can only assume that the OMs who compile the WIA News have such high regard for the intelligence of their listeners that they didn't feel the need to point out the obvious fact that the item was a spoof. Reporters at Fox News have been taken in by the National Report, I'm sure we in VK are smarter than that! :lol:

73 David VK3KR
VK3NFI
Forum Novice

Re: WIA News Broadcast - too weird for me!

Post by VK3NFI »

So now your telling me all that black garden plastic I pulled out of the garden Monday morning was a waste of time....
oh the weeds.. the weeds.. :roll:
73's
Dean VK3NFI
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ZYC »

Look at the source of the article.
http://witscience.org/

Note the partners for the source.

Jim, VK3ZYC.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

I prefer The Onion. They have a particular satirical style that makes the stories seem believable even while you're laughing at how ridiculous it is.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Oh just a weird story
Thought this might have been about the pseudo radio station emulation, jingles, music beds and general lets sound like shock jocks.
if they want to do that go work in 3UZ, too many hams who are announcers try to make us sound like radio stations
Lets just have talk no music please.
Music on SSB sounds crap...

As for weird stories just get someone to explain the attraction of HiFi B/B SSB and super wideband $1000 golden michrophones..

Cheers
Tread your own path :om:
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

On the subject of "Hi-Fi" SSB....take the time to listen to some of the Indonesian stations on 40m at night...

They have a 'kind-of-full-sounding-SSB' with (seemingly) an emphasized bottom-end...I don't know why they
do this but if you tune up the band a bit from their frequency you will detect a fixed carrier which comes
and goes with their main SSB envelope. It's a terrible waste of both power and bandwidth ! ...unusual... :lol:
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I thought it was not at all credible because we all know that renewable energy uses "recycled electrons".
VK3KR

Post by VK3KR »

Hi!

I was pleased, and relieved, to hear the comment at the end of the last Broadcast that the piece on solar panels from the previous week was satirical. I feel better now :)

Cheers
David VK3KR