Knights Hill 70cm Repeater

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Knights Hill 70cm Repeater

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi all,

If there is anyone down around Wollongong can you confirm whether the 438.225/433.225 repeater is still on the air? The ACMA database is saying it (VK2RUW) is gone... if someone knows anything please let me know because I have a request for that frequency which I will endorse if I hear nothing back...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4DU

Re: Knights Hill 70cm Repeater

Post by VK4DU »

VK2MT is the repeater guru for IARS, I think...
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks, their license seems to be gonski...

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

There has been an ever increasing amount of errors in the ACMA database.
The stassi hams have been like piranhas in a feeding frenzy lately picking off anything that doesn't correlate.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

The ACMA database is correct... I spoke to Rob VK2MT and confirmed it. If clubs choose not to renew the licenses then the spectrum is fair game to anyone who chooses to use it. They can't expect the frequencies to be "held" for them if they choose not to keep the license current. In this case I'm not going to endorse it for another user in the same general area because at some point I see sanity returning and the channel being needed again in the Illawarra- but that may not last forever.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2AAH wrote:... because at some point I see sanity returning and the channel being needed again in the Illawarra- but that may not last forever.
Interesting that from Bowral I can work 146.825 in the Bega area frequently (more so in summer months), work it unintentionally when accessing VK2RHR quite close to Bowral. Though it is quite a distance, folk didn't allow for the frequency of some type of coastal ducting mechanism.

Owen
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Hi Richard,

You and I haven't seen eye to eye on a couple of things in the past, but let me offer my gratitude for the efforts you clearly make in regards to sorting out these kinds of issues.

The WIA are lucky to have you on their team.
VK2MT
Forum Novice

Post by VK2MT »

My recollection is that the IARS received correspondence from ACMA early last year about the resumption of the 420 - 430MHz band & that our old 420.6MHz link for our 10m repeater had to go. We understood that we had the choice to reapply for another link frequency or to let it lapse. With no 10m repeater activity, we chose not to reapply, however unfortunately this letter was apparently regarding the entire VK2RUW licence, including the 8225 (438.225/433.225MHz) repeater. This was not realised at the time & it wasn't till months later, when we didn't receive the annual site renewal, that it was realised. It was not a problem anyway as 8225 had been taken off the air due to repeated LIPD interference. We intend to apply for a new licence for Knights Hill & a 2m frequency pair, probably either the old VK2RIS or VK2RBT frequency pairs.

Rob
VK2MT
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi Rob,

Don't worry you aren't the only ones... I have 6 services at the moment for Walcha to get relicensed. All I want to do is to make sure clubs don't inadvertently lose channels that they may regret losing later... happy to work with you Rob to sort it out.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK2OMD wrote: Interesting that from Bowral I can work 146.825 in the Bega area frequently (more so in summer months), work it unintentionally when accessing VK2RHR quite close to Bowral. Though it is quite a distance, folk didn't allow for the frequency of some type of coastal ducting mechanism.

Owen
Very true Owen... the request I had was for the Knights Hill pair to be assigned at Woy Woy. Coastal ducting 99% of the time would make that very interesting!

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2AAH wrote: Very true Owen... the request I had was for the Knights Hill pair to be assigned at Woy Woy. Coastal ducting 99% of the time would make that very interesting!
I have observed that APRS packets are frequently (most of the time) exchanged from Mt Murray (or Knights Hill) and a digi in suburban Newcasle... there is apparently a common good path there. Hence the APRS channel here is bogged with weather reports etc from Tamworth.

Owen
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2OMD wrote:[snip.... Hence the APRS channel here is bogged with weather reports etc from Tamworth.

Owen
Well, that's easliy fixed. APRS 101 I'd say.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Interesting, because there aren't any APRS weather stations on the VHF network in Tamworth :)
Checking the network, I can't even see APRS weather stations in Northern NSW on the VHF network.
http://aprs.fi/info/a/VK2RTM-1
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Trash...

I was looking a few minutes ago...and there was 2 "WX" stations in the Tamworth area......and also Armidale, Gleninnes and Narrabri..

But I could be looking at something wrong...

John
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 May. 28 22.42.jpg
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi all...

Trash...

I was looking a few minutes ago...and there was 2 "WX" stations in the Tamworth area......and also Armidale, Gleninnes and Narrabri..

But I could be looking at something wrong...

John
But are they on RF or internet only .
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Well that is a good question...and I have no idea.....I kind of assumed that if its on the map it should also be broadcast..

I don't see the point if many people can get on the APRS map...only by using the net.....the radio should be involved somewhere...

but as with APRS I pick up bits and pieces as I go.....I will understand it eventually..

John
VK4UQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4UQ »

You can place an APRS object on the net without "gating" via RF.

Most IRLP objects/stations are placed directly via the internet, as with RX I-Gates.

There are some home stations that on object via the internet, but they could maybe also serve as an RX I-Gate.

I think there maybe some WX stations reporting only via the Internet. They might be attached to the BOM??
VK3FJTS
Forum Novice

Post by VK3FJTS »

VK4LED wrote:I think there maybe some WX stations reporting only via the Internet. They might be attached to the BOM??
That's correct, they're reporting via IP only. Most are connected with CWOP (Citizen Weather Observer Program) and have a callsign beginning with CW or DW followed by some digits. There are hams with weather stations that report via regular over-the-air APRS, which can be spotted on the map as a regular ham callsign with the WX icon.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

yep, they're not on air. Nor does that traffic gate into the network.
Most of them are ported to aprs by VK2TV or whoever has taken over his gig lately.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

You mean VK2RMC? VK2TV is his private call but the APRS is licensed as VK2RMC.