eBay Advise Change Your Password

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

eBay Advise Change Your Password

Post by VK2BLS »

Ebay has been hacked and are advising members to change their passwords asap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/reset?_trkparms= ... 9059520187
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Re: eBay Advise Change Your Password

Post by VK5IR »

Has anyone actually received an email advising them of this? I've read about it everywhere but there is no mention on eBay's website, nor have I received an email from them about this.
Theo
VK5IR
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

Email was only a confirmation of p/w change.
Last edited by VK2BLS on Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I have no messages from ebay either in "From ebay" or "High priority".

However there are notifications in "All general announcements"
Damien VK3RX
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Motors/ ... 54937#M737

It isn't a hoax, it is VERY real...

Cheers

Richard
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

And there is a notice on the front page of ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/
Because your password is encrypted (even we don’t know what it is), we believe your eBay account is secure. But we don’t want to take any chances.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK3MIX wrote:And there is a notice on the front page of ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/
Weird, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps my ad blocker is blocking it...
Theo
VK5IR
VK2PR

Post by VK2PR »

VK5MTM wrote:Weird, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps my ad blocker is blocking it...
http://www.ebay.com.au/reset?_trkparms= ... 8281522632
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

That is one reason why here in New Zealand the largest auction site is Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/ far superior to eBay 8)
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

They right on the ball,got hacked in Feb and issuing warnings in May.
I think if there was anything to worry about it would have already happened.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK5MTM wrote:Has anyone actually received an email advising them of this? I've read about it everywhere but there is no mention on eBay's website, nor have I received an email from them about this.
Its in your message box from ebay and high priority

EBay said client information including emails, addresses and birthdays, was stolen in a hacking attack between late February and early March
Tread your own path :om:
VK2KPK

Post by VK2KPK »

VK3ZAZ wrote:EBay said client information including emails, addresses and birthdays, was stolen in a hacking attack between late February and early March
http://www.ebay.com.au/reset?_trkparms= ... 7680603783 states, in part:

"a cyberattack that compromised our eBay user database, which contained your encrypted password."

Dare I say, "So what."
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2KPK wrote:...
"a cyberattack that compromised our eBay user database, which contained your encrypted password."

Dare I say, "So what."
You might not think it an important loss, but you should follow their advice and change your password quickly. Of course, that doesn't totally overcome the lost information.

Owen
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

IMPORTANT: PASSWORD UPDATE
Dear eBay Member,
To help ensure customers' trust and security on eBay, I am asking all eBay users to change their passwords.
Here's why: Recently, our company discovered a cyberattack on our corporate information network. This attack compromised a database containing eBay user passwords.
What's important for you to know: We have no evidence that your financial information was accessed or compromised. And your password was encrypted.
What I ask of you:
Go to eBay and change your password. Changing your password may be inconvenient. I realize that. We are doing everything we can to protect your data and changing your password is an extra precautionary step, in addition to the other security measures we have in place.
If you have only visited eBay as a guest user, we do not have a password on file.
If you used the same eBay password on any other site, I encourage you to change your password on those sites too. And if you are a PayPal user, we have no evidence that this attack affected your PayPal account or any PayPal financial information, which is encrypted and stored on a separate secure network.
Here are other steps we are taking: •As always, we have strong protections in place for both buyers and sellers in the event of any unauthorized activity on your account.
•We are applying additional security to protect our customers.
•We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

Here's what we know: This attack occurred between late February and early March and resulted in unauthorized access to a database of eBay users that includes customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth.
However, the file did not contain financial information. And, after conducting extensive testing and analysis of our systems, we have no evidence that any customer financial or credit card information was involved. We also have no indication of a significant spike in fraudulent activity on our site.
We apologize for any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We know our customers have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.
Devin Wenig Signature
Devin Wenig
President, eBay Marketplaces
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

B/S :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

ZL3MF wrote:That is one reason why here in New Zealand the largest auction site is Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/ far superior to eBay 8)

Its had its problems

Scams and how to avoid them
Scams and ripoffs are all too commonplace on auction sites these days and TradeMe is no exception. The ScamBusters' website was set up as a community service by a small group of people experienced in identifying auction scams. From the Romanian gang that fleeced kiwis for over four years, to local crooks hoping to make a quick buck. Here's how they operate.
Are there risks on TradeMe at the moment?
You bet there are, and we know that some of them will cost innocent traders thousands of dollars. Here's some information you need to know if you buy or sell goods on TradeMe.

Vehicle Scams
An Indonesian Scam If you're selling a car on TradeMe then you should read this page now! Be wary of "overseas" buyers - this is one of the most popular high value scams on TradeMe at the moment.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK5MTM wrote:Has anyone actually received an email advising them of this? I've read about it everywhere but there is no mention on eBay's website, nor have I received an email from them about this.
I received an email from them. As usual I did NOT click any links in the email (this can often lead you to a 3rd party site to phish your login details). I browsed to their site manually and updated my password.

Plus there are banners to the same effect splashed all over their website..