JT65 on 2mtr

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK3AE
Forum Novice

JT65 on 2mtr

Post by VK3AE »

hi all just wondering if anyone uses jt65 on 2mt band ? it would be good to hear more digital modes on the band as wspr seems to be getting more popular and makes some good contacts but its not a very hands on type of mode ( not knocking wspr ) tell me what you think, or if there is activity can you tell me where it is .
thanks
Dylan vk3ae
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: jt65 on 2mtr

Post by VK3DXE »

Hi Dylan,

I was trying to decode your WSPR signal tonight, but you had a little too much drift - try TXing at 100% for about 4 or 5 periods to allow your rig to stabilise thermally. Your rig also seems to be about 150Hz LOW in frequency, so nobody else seems to have seen you. What rig are you running?

The terrestrial digital calling frequency in Australia is (I think) 144.225, and JT65B is usually used on 2m, but it'd generally be best to gee up a contact on the Logger first to make sure somebody is listening. I saw your JT65 tonight also, but couldn't decode it, but not sure which mode you were TXing???

Cheers,
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2KRR

Re: JT65 on 2mtr

Post by VK2KRR »

Dylan.

Probably the most regular use of 2m JT65 would be for EME contacts.

As Alan mentioned, there would be people who would try and work you on JT65 via Tropo, but you would be best teeing them up on the 2m Chat page of the logger when people are available to give it a go.

Technically, WSPR is a automatic beaconing type mode and paths made are not considered to be 'contacts' as such, but an indication of how good or bad the band is performing. If a path is coming in on WSPR that people want to formally work on 2m digital, they can switch over to JT65 (JT65b usually) and give it a go, 144.225. Mostly sorted out via the 2m chat page with the station at the far end.
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Hi Dylan.

Yes, most JT65B activity in VK is associated with moonbounce.

I did have a number of long distance tropo JT65B contacts on my last DXpedition, to the central Flinders Ranges back in late 2009. I worked three stations back in the Melbourne area - VK3HZ, VK3II and VK3KH - whom I could not get through to via voice modes, due to the local Melbourne noise floor. And some station from someplace called "The Rock"... Why didn't we work on USB, Leigh?

It is an excellent mode to use for VHF DXpeditioning, for those paths out between 700 and 1000 km, especially for the smaller stations who aren't going to make it with voice modes. It also covers that dead area before you get out to the path distances favoured by Meteor Scatter.

As anyone with a degree in higher mathmatics can see, it's been nearly five years since my last trip, and I'm feeling the urge. I'd like to add manual elevation to my mast set-up, first though - EME is very addictive...

Sigh - so much to do, so little time...

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3AE
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AE »

hi gents thanks for replying to my post sorry i missed you Allen i wasn't paying much attention to the logger last night, and to answer your question Allen i am running an ic7400 and vk3jtm has informed me that it dose drift a little i might look into a high stability crystal for it.i was using WSJT-X from k1jt and in jt65 mode, i think its the same as jt65-hf that i use on the HF bands, that's what got me thinking about using it on 2 and 6 mtr if we just had a set frequency where we could call (like the hf bands eg: 28.076 21.076 ect ) we would probably hear a bit more activity.
Thanks for the idea of posting my activity on the logger to get peoples attention,ill try that so ill give 144.225 a bash with jt65b next time :D
Thanks dylan
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Dylan,

WSJT_X has JT9 and JT65. From what I can see this is actually JT65a. So if you use WSJT_X on 2m the other station who maybe using the normal WSJT program would need to be on JT65a. It would appear that WSJT_X is not designed with 6 or 2m in mind and I couldn't see them in the freq list.

There has always been 'focus' frequencies for JT65 terrestrial, which is mostly on .225 on all VHF bands, such as 50.225, 144.225, 432.225 etc. This is also mentioned in the bandplan, usually listed in note 1 for each band, but it appears it still lists the JT44 mode in the note, which should be amended to JT65 as JT44 pre-dates the introduction of JT65.