Any Amateur Radio problems with NBN installation?

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK4WDM

Any Amateur Radio problems with NBN installation?

Post by VK4WDM »

My QTH will be connected to the NBN in a couple of weeks. From what I can glean from talking to the rep we will have a "box" in the garage that is connected to the fibre-optic cable but he was a bit vague about how the connection to the household computer and telephone is going to be made. I have heard two options: standard copper and WIFI, but I am not sure if we get a choice. (not sure how the phone is supposed to work with WIFI).

Are there and AR problems to be aware of such as interference from, or to, the system?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Re: Any Amateur Radio problems with NBN installation?

Post by VK4EA »

Quiet here, from the fibre box on the side of the house, fibre is run to the ONT that provides RJ45 ports and has an inbuilt ATA for the phone.

Depending on your service provider, you connect a router to one of the RJ45 ports (you get clear instructions), and to your router you connect your PC's either via cable or wi-fi. For your phone service, again depends on your provider. I connected an ATA to my router, into the ATA goes the phone cable servicing your handsets.

Be sure that your ONT is located well so cabling to your PC's and phone wiring is least painful as possible. My installer was great, he ran a fairly lengthy bit fibre from the outside box to my structured cabling patch panel. The ONT needs power, consider a UPS for it so you keep your phone if the power goes off.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Peter

Thank you for that. People round here, especially the elderly, are very confused. The UPS is an excellent idea because we lost our mobile phone service during cyclone Yasi.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4EA wrote:... consider a UPS for it so you keep your phone if the power goes off.
You mean so that it works as good as the Plain Old Telephone Service!!!!

We have really moved forward since the invention of the CB (common battery) telephone system which was powered by the exchange battery. Remember the days prior to that when telehones had a magneto and battery.

Everyone with a back to base alarm, any kind of personal health monitor, or who wants their phone to work in an emergency that might take power out (fire, storms etc) now needs to install a UPS and do the battery replacements periodically to ensure reliable service

Owen
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

My NBN connection is two-way satellite, currently on an interim bird IPStar.
The only prob with noise I had was a noisy plug pack for my wireless router, nothing to do with the satellite gear.
Probably not of relevance to you people in town.
Satellite is probably my only Internet connectivity option for the foreseeable future here.
Luke VK3HJ
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Experience needed - Has anyone installed a Wireless NBN modem ?

NB this is to connect via wireless not fibre and not a fibre modem with wireless hanging off.

It is an option for a remote site and the question is do they generate noise on HF or for that matter VHF - If they do is it fixable or are they a problem ?
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4TS wrote:Experience needed - Has anyone installed a Wireless NBN modem ?

NB this is to connect via wireless not fibre and not a fibre modem with wireless hanging off.

It is an option for a remote site and the question is do they generate noise on HF or for that matter VHF - If they do is it fixable or are they a problem ?
http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/document ... -guide.pdf
nothing really changes from the exisiting wireless install
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK4EA wrote:. The ONT needs power, consider a UPS for it so you keep your phone if the power goes off.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
The ONT has a optional battery, but it only powers the PSTN pots port. If your voice provider does not use this and uses a port on their own router/ATA then you will need a UPS.
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

My NBN wireless system became operational today.

Had a quick spin round the dial and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary re interference on HF.
Not sure about the 2.4GHz band, as I don't have any equipment for that.

However, my Telstra pre-paid internet dongle won't work with the system running, I have to power down the NBN system to get it to work.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have had my NBN system running for over a month. FOC to boxes on wall, good old copper wire to the phone, and a wireless modem to the computer. No hash that I can find. Very pleased with the setup.

Wayne VK4WDM