Is this really ham radio?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3ZUB
Forum Novice

Re: Is this really ham radio?

Post by VK3ZUB »

I don't think it is ham radio. These guys are charging for air time, doesn't that make it commercial radio ?

I thought ham radio was more about sharing, education, experimenting. If they offered the air time for free
then it would be ham radio.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Is this really ham radio?

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4WDM wrote:...suggesting that I am a "dinosaur" that believes that "real ham radio" is...
dinosaur
ˈdʌɪnəsɔː/
noun
noun: dinosaur; plural noun: dinosaurs

1. a fossil reptile of the Mesozoic era, often reaching an enormous size.

2. a person or thing that is outdated or has become obsolete because of failure to adapt to changing circumstances.
Wayne, you are most certainly NOT a dinosaur.
We see you operate on digital modes, and obviously embrace the benefits of openly sharing information via the internet to fellow hams.

I would consider a ham to be a "dinosaur" if they avoided these types of activities.
Even more so when you consider personal computers have been around for 30 years, the internet 20 years, (and digital cameras since the late 1990's).
Yes, that long!
No excuses for not having skills in any of this.

People either have the capacity to learn and willingness to adapt, or they don't.

The only real question is, what is an acceptable period before "dinosaur" status becomes applicable? :?:
5 years after mainstream adoption, 10 years, 15 years?

Be careful in thinking only 5 years!
Smart phones became mainstream consumer items in 2007, with the release of the first iPhone.
7 years ago now.

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/