Want to try 6m EME - and get bit by the EME bug?

Earth-Moon-Earth discussion
SM7FJE

Want to try 6m EME - and get bit by the EME bug?

Post by SM7FJE »

Today I worked my 7th ZL on 6m EME (1RS, 2DX, 2WHO, 3NW, 3TY, 4LV and 8R). 3 of these worked their first QSO with me. If you also would like to try, please drom me a mail. It is easier then you think - but it is addictive!
Station requirements at your end 6 el yagi and 500W RF.

Bo
SM7FJE
sm7fje@aaaaa.se
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Want to try 6m EME - and get bit by the EME bug?

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Hi Bo
Too easy
F2 better
Sorry didn't make it this cycle
Maybe next or eme
If we work on CW its a record.
I don't do data sorry
VK3OT
Tread your own path :om:
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

I am gearing up for a 6mtr EME attempt. Have one 6ele up now with the other almost ready to install. Only have around 350watts out though?
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4RF wrote:I am gearing up for a 6mtr EME attempt. Have one 6ele up now with the other almost ready to install. Only have around 350watts out though?
You should hear around 2.5 - 3dB better than the minimum requirement and your ERP should be (assuming your 6el is a decent boom length) very similar to that of the single 6el with 500w (about 1dB better, in fact). So if you have, for argument, 8.5dBd from one antenna, then 500w will give you an ERP of approximately 3.5Kw. Two antennas with 350w, taking harness losses, etc., into account will give you around 4.4kW ERP, so provided your antenna design and local environment (noise, terrain/ground gain) are OK, then you should be well in the ballpark.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
SM7FJE

Post by SM7FJE »

Thanks for the attention Gents!

Steve, it sure would be great to work you again! If you want to try CW EME I'm willing to try. The smallest station worked on CW from here is W7CS using a 7 el and 800W. That set up will, however, not grant you a QSO at the first try (even if it did then) :D

Rick, with your present station you are very close to the border of what is doable or not (in the best of days it will work but there are not many of them), but with 2 antennas up I'd be happy to give it a go.