Novice - Standard suffix history

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2VEL

Novice - Standard suffix history

Post by VK2VEL »

Does anyone know roughly when the Novice L, M, P, V suffixes were introduced?

The N suffix was obviously the original one and I know that the H suffixes came in with the Novice Limited class around the late 80s. Does anyone know when the others were introduced? I once saw this detailed somewhere on the net but can't find it now. I skimmed through my old pile of ARA mags and didn't find anything.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Novice - Standard suffix history

Post by VK2ZRH »

The Novice licence was introduced in the early 1970s, with the VKxNyy callsign format.

IIRC, the VKxPyy Novice callsign format appeared in the late-1980s.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

K became before H
VK3NAZ and VK3KAV in Hamilton both about same era
One Novice one Zed plus Novice

2C.
Tread your own path :om:
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

I think you will find the VKxPyy series started early 1980's, as I held VK2PGA issued 9-1-1981.
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

The VKxKyy callsign format was introduced for the Intermediate licence, some time in the 1980s.
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi,
I had VK2PSA in the early 1980s.. 1982 from memory.
Allan
VK2OT
Forum Novice

Post by VK2OT »

hello, VK2N in the 70's VK2V also late 70's then VK2P in the 80's also M I think , The N suffix went pretty quick VK2V came in 1978 ,I passed my novice exam in November 78 and got VK2VFT . so even they were over half allocated by the end of 78. VK2OT.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

This is the most comprehensive description I've found regarding callsign structure. It doesn't specifically answer the question but an interesting read nevertheless.

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/C ... _Australia

I'm pretty sure there is also a detailed description of the intermediate license structure (K calls etc) but I haven't been able to find it. I think the author of this particular description was based in the US.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK8NSB

Post by VK8NSB »

I wonder when the H Call Signs were introduced ..
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

The VKxHyy callsign format was introduced with the Novice Limited licence, around 1995.
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK3ALB wrote:This is the most comprehensive description I've found regarding callsign structure. It doesn't specifically answer the question but an interesting read nevertheless.

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/C ... _Australia

I'm pretty sure there is also a detailed description of the intermediate license structure (K calls etc) but I haven't been able to find it. I think the author of this particular description was based in the US.
Not bad, although it doesn't explain the numeric state designators (also used for broadcasting and other commercial licences) - these were based on military districts, apparently.
VK4HJI
Forum Novice

Post by VK4HJI »

VK2ZRH wrote:The VKxHyy callsign format was introduced with the Novice Limited licence, around 1995.
H call was around early 1994.
VK2VEL

Post by VK2VEL »

Thanks for the information everyone.

I'm interested in how we identify with our callsigns, hold sentimental attachments (or not at all); the value that people may place on callsigns (eg x2, old timers with original Z, N calls - and wannabes etc ); people hanging onto ancestor's callsigns, and people taking on recycled callsigns -that kind of thing. All the stuff that's been kicked around here for a while.

Late 70s for VK2 V's? I'll have to find some old call books somewhere and see who my predecessor was!
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

The VK2 division historian kept a list of all holders of VK2 callsigns. Not sure if he/she still has it.

It made fascinating reading...

The previous owner of my callsign was awarded the DFC as a Lancaster Bomber Navigator in WW2.
VK5LTD
Forum Novice

Post by VK5LTD »

The L calls for Novice class License were being issued as early as mid 1992- when I got my call.

After N suffix, I recall P suffice appearing then other letters became available including L. I didn't fancy N or P suffix but wouldn't have been bothered as long as I got on air!

I did request my callsign suffix and it certainly created some confusion as there was also Limited Class license but instead Novice class holders got access to this letter.

Others immediately thought of the big luxury Ford car - LTD.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Of more recent history, and unrelated to Novices, is when the first VK#O## got issued (as unrestricted/advanced).

I suspect fairly recently - well into the 2000s. I'm guessing the O suffix was quarantined because of a risk of confusion with the number 0.
Although that didn't stop its use elsewhere.

Another curiousity is the R-series. Initially only for repeaters and beacons some callsigns in this series are now held by individuals as normal
callsigns. Was this a deliberate policy change or administrative error that was thought acceptable to 'let go'?

The only block that remains unallocated seems to be the Qs. Although possibly confusible with Q codes this is of declining relevance and other
countries (eg the US) don't see it as a problem.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK3FM

Post by VK3FM »

The VK*K** series for intermediate licensees (actually in those days it was more commonly called a 'combination' license, because the holder held both novice privileges and VHF/UHF privileges, separately) was around in 1982 (but not much earlier) 'cause I was allocated VK3KWX in early 1982.

The VK*V** series for novices was introduced very early 1979. I was allocated VK3NWX in February, 1979 and the 'V' series began only a few weeks later.

The series VK*C** was originally issued only to those who ventured all around Australia for employment purposes (military people, for instance) - i was allocated VK3CEW in May, 1982, and was told I was the first (in VK3) to be issued a 'C' suffix call as a regular full call.

Ernie VK3FM
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I recall reading some years back (10-15?) that someone had been given a special callsign (not VK prefix) "for services to amateur radio".

I can't remember who or what the call was.
Damien VK3RX
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

VK2VEL 1979 callbook

R.S Smith

29 Corea st

Sylvania nsw

Heaps of "V" in 1979 for VK2 in callbook

VK2VOR is the last one listed.

vk6six

e&oe
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

My first call was VK3VAW issued January 1979, my next call was VK3KMA issued sometime in 1984.
Hope that helps.
73 Mike