Borehole for telescopic mast?

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4WDM

Borehole for telescopic mast?

Post by VK4WDM »

I have a water bore, about 6m deep I think, right next to the the mount for my tilt-over mast. Why not stick a metal tube down the hole and use my existing winch to raise and lower it as a telescopic mast? If I put a foot-valve on the bottom of the mast and a outlet for the water above the surface I could simply connect the pump and use it as normal.

Is anybody using such an arrangement? Is it a sensible idea?

My tilt-over arrangement works OK but raising and lowering it is difficult in my small yard.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: Borehole for telescopic mast?

Post by VK5ZD »

If you wanted to be really fancy you could use the water pressure to pump up the mast :P
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

I think you're all missing the potential here. what you need to do is dump a whole bunch of salt down the borehole to improve the water's conductivity as a ground plane.

i kid, i kid :)
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

An interesting thought, but I think you may compromise the bore if you disturb it.
If it weren't for our bore, we'd have had to buy water each summer.
Luke VK3HJ
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Luke

We are on city water and only use the bore to water the garden. There is always plenty of water in it even during the dry season because the water table is quite high. I dunk a compressor hose down it from time to time to blow away the sand.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Further info: The bore is 10m deep and 110mm in diameter with a heavy-duty PVC casing. Is is in heavy clay soil. The water level is up to the 4m mark. The idea would be to lower the mast until the antennas rested on the house roof when not in use and raise them to my allowable 8m height when in use.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4WDM wrote:Further info: The bore is 10m deep and 110mm in diameter with a heavy-duty PVC casing. Is is in heavy clay soil. The water level is up to the 4m mark. The idea would be to lower the mast until the antennas rested on the house roof when not in use and raise them to my allowable 8m height when in use.

Wayne VK4WDM
I used to use a house pump years back to raise ond lower the two section mast and 2 meter array , couple of valves and a decent seal on the wear surface , galvo pipe doesn't seal well though and I used some bore casing I had