23 on 23 - 1296 MHz Activity Sessions

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

23 on 23 - 1296 MHz Activity Sessions

Post by VK4GHZ »

Have you ever wondered why there's bugger all activity on 23cm, except for the odd contest or activity day... when they all come out of the wood work?
Bizarre, isn't it!

The gear can sit there, unloved, for 360+ days of the year, collecting cobwebs.

Well, in South East Queensland, we've decided to get more use out of our gear!
Participants at today's VK4 1296 MHz "Shoot Out" discussed the new "23 on 23" activity days.

23 on 23 is 23cm activity (1296 MHz) on the 23rd of each month.
Easy to remember! :D

This concept means that the actual day will change each month, so this helps accommodate those who may not be available on certain days of the week due to family/work/etc commitments.

Originally intended to start in March, but thanks to VK4CZ, VK4CRO, VK4EA, VK4GHZ, VK4KJJ, and VK4MJF for coming up tonight.
A great start!
VK Logger's 23 & Above iChat was being used for liaison.

Set monthly reminders in your phone (or mark ye ol calendar!) for the 23rd.

Frequency: 1296.100 SSB

If the 23rd falls on a weekday, activity is at 8pm.

If the 23rd falls on a weekend, activity will be during the day, and this allows operators the opportunity to have some 23cm fun in the field.
A mutually convenient time to be decided upon - please post your thoughts below.

This is a great opportunity the blow the cobwebs out of your 23cm gear, try new antennas, or give that new Power Amplifier a blast.
(And I know of around ten 150W 23cm PAs being built in Brisbane alone!)

23cm capable stations from the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, Northern Queensland, and NSW - this is also your opportunity to join in.

:!: With known activity, why not experiment with digital modes on 23cm - Look for us VK4s!
Liaison is very easy with VK Logger's 23 & Above iChat.

Brisbane stations don't forget: the new VK4RMC FM repeater on 1273.500 MHz (-20 MHz TX) is there, begging to be utilised as well.

Join in on the activity, and see you on 23cm on the next 23rd.
:mrgreen:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4KHZ

Re: 23 on 23 - 1296 MHz Activity Sessions

Post by VK4KHZ »

What a great idea.
My 23cm gear - FT736R & homebrew 120watt linear amplifier - has been in storage for around 2 years now so I understand what you are saying. Come to think of it I have only ever had one contact on 23cm SSB from my QTH and that was a pre-arranged contact over around 120Km path...

Time to blow the dust off and point the gridpack south!

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Last nights impromptu 'test' of the 23on23 activity concept was the most activity I've seen on 23cm outside of FD weekends.

On air in BNE were VK4EA, VK4MJF, VK4CRO, VK4GHZ and myself (VK4CZ).

Whilst I CQ on 23cm every time I'm in the shack, but rarely (if ever) receive a response, so last nights 23on23 was fantastic and provided an opportunity to turn on the 23cm gear and actually hear stations.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Yes you guys are right, activity is best and 23cm provides some unexpected results! I enjoy this band, and 23cm beats 2metres for contacts to the coast from here with low noise.

but remember to turn your antennas towards the setting moon and tune around. plenty of activity there too. best to wait till the moon is setting to the north of west.
When I built my first transverter setup and had it going , I said to myself " who else is there to talk to" and looking up at the moon which was visible in the evening sky , I was inspired.

once you have heard you first signals on 23cm off the moon you will be amazed and inspired, and its not hard , you guys have all the right gear.
have fun
73, Dave
VK4UT

Post by VK4UT »

Unfortunately I don't have any 23cm SSB gear, yet.

After the microwave test day on Sunday, I turned the small yagi I have towards VK4RMC. According to Google Earth, it is a 60km path with some obstruction around Ormeau. I could key the repeater occasionally, but it was barely registering on the s-meter. Need some more gain :>
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

The VK4RMC repeater is either deaf or it's receiver mute is wound up too high, or a bit of both!
Some of the Brisbane stations have trouble holding it open as well.
There's been bugger all activity since it's commissioning, but with some real activity now, we'll get a better idea of it's footprint and performance.

Don't let terrain profiles put you off. Some take them way too seriously.
It's been found that you can make contacts up on 2.4 and 10 GHz when terrain profiling suggested otherwise.
It's all about being active and experimenting. :D

Ben, can you re-orientate your yagi to be horizontally polarised for the next planned activity session, March 23?
(Which, as per the table above, falls on a Sunday in March)
Something you might not normally do for traditional FM work, but a lot of the horizontally polarised 23cm base stations in Brisbane can run FM no worries, so we'll definitely look for you.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Not necessarily receiver mute etc. Another problem with repeaters on the higher bands (eg. 23cm) is simply being 'off frequency'. There is a 23cm repeater in Sydney that has proven to have the input frequency slightly off making it difficult to access.

I would have thought in this day and age they would all be referenced locked, but obviously not!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4UT

Post by VK4UT »

VK4GHZ wrote: Ben, can you re-orientate your yagi to be horizontally polarised for the next planned activity session, March 23?
Shouldn't be a problem, I'm away for the next 10 days, so will give it a go when I am back :)
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2GOM wrote:.... There is a 23cm repeater in Sydney that has proven to have the input frequency slightly off making it difficult to access.....

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
Which one Rob?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4JV

Post by VK4JV »

VK4GHZ wrote:The VK4RMC repeater is either deaf or it's receiver mute is wound up too high, or a bit of both!
Some of the Brisbane stations have trouble holding it open as well.
There's been bugger all activity since it's commissioning, but with some real activity now, we'll get a better idea of it's footprint and performance.
Gday Adam

FYI... The antenna for VK4RMC is only 8 meters above ground at Coot-tha, the repeater is a new Icom IC-RP1220 with a new TXRX Systems duplexer and the antenna is a Comet GP-21 with the feed line being LDF450A.

It is due to go up to the 70M mark on the tower when funds permit (certified mounts, qualified riggers and all the other fun stuff associated with broadcast installations)

I hope for this to get done in the next few months.

Hope this makes sense of it being a little deaf.

Cheers

Andrew
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Works f***k*n great for me ;-)

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4JAM »

23 on 23 - great idea count me in :D
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

How does 8PM work for everybody, this coming Sunday.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

I may not hear anyone or be heard by anyone but will give it a shot. 8PM is ok with me. I will be using my stock 910H at 10W and my home brew 35el yagi. I haven't got the best QTH for 23cm.

VK4LHD.
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

Looks like it be time to setup the 2 x 49 loops again and fire up
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

8 pm Sunday is good....

TS2000x/35El loop

Might point the dish east.......

Phil
VK4CDI
VK4ALH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ALH »

I was hoping to be involved today, but can't be there this evening. Anyone there now?
I will be available all day until about 4pm.
Leicester
VK4ALH at Currimundi
QG63nf
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Should be back in VK4 by then :D

de VK4CZ/2
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Gday all I will be in Brisbane visiting my Daughter on the week of 23 on 23 activity and have made up a support for my gridpack dish on the rear of the car , will only have 1W output from the tranverter but will give it a go ( the xyl approves as it will leave those two girls alone)! :D
looking forward to it! cheerS mark VK2AMS
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

IN APRIL THAT IS! :roll: