Pre amp advise

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Pre amp advise

Post by VK3XL »

Alan VK3DXE through out a challenge in another thread
Now to start a debate on the claims of some popular/respected low noise preamp manufacturers..... :twisted:

Well I am in the market for some pre-amps for my vhf / uhf setup.
bands of interest are 144 , 432 and 1296. I plan to mast head mount the 432 and 1296 pre amps but have the 144 preamp in the shack unless I can come up with some coax relays that can handle 400 watts at a reasonable price.

So let the debate begin, what's good and what's not so good.
either kit build stuff or off the shelf complete units.

Mike VK3XL
73 Mike
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: Pre amp advise

Post by VK3ALB »

I think the commercial preamps are over priced. If you're good with your hands and have a good junkbox and like building your own gear you might try rolling your own.

I use MiniKits and Demi preamps from 2m thru to 5.7GHz. They are reasonably priced and make a difference to the reception of weak signals. Gain figures as advertised and I assume the noise figures are also as specified. In most cases the preamps are mounted as close to the antenna as practical but at home the 2m & 70cm preamps are mounted next to the radio - I think they are well worth using.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK3XL wrote:...

So let the debate begin, what's good and what's not so good.
either kit build stuff or off the shelf complete units.

Mike VK3XL
Let me add some starting questions that are relevant.

1. (When) Is a preamp worthwhile?
2. Can a preamp degrade S/N? How?
3. What are the pros and cons of masthead location of a preamp? Is it a no-brainer?
4. What is more important, Gain, or Noise Figure?
5. Are Rules of Thumb ROT or simply rot?

Owen
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

All good questions Owen and I look forward to reading the various opinions of those here.
73 Mike
ZL2FAE
Forum Novice

Post by ZL2FAE »

VK3XL wrote:All good questions Owen and I look forward to reading the various opinions of those here.
Also need to consider what the prevaling local signals are like.
E.G. are there lots of high powered locals as well as the elusive DX or are you in an area that is miles from know where.

I use different preamps for different environments. The ha8et extra series of Contest preamps only have modest s/n figures (.5 .6db) compared with some of the more exotic claims (.2 to .3db) of others but they have good protection for front end overload which is needed for contests and still ok for eme.

At the antenna mounting is always a bonus (cable loss after the preamp does not degrade s/n figure like it does before the preamp). Add cable loss before the preamp to it's (the preamp's) noise figure.
This arrangement needs good isolation (a high power relay and a high isolation microwave transfer relay) and good sequencing.... The sequencing subject is a whole study on it's own!

Even the rig becomes important in that equation as some have a TX inhibit input.
The FT8XX series has that but it still requires failsafe operation. i.e no presence of rig connection signal defeats preamp switcing inline.
The Icom 910 and 9100 have preamp switching/powering capabilities but I am unsure of the timing.

One thing that I wonder about are these comercial power amps with rf sense switching and internal GaAs Fet preamps.......

Hope I haven't put you off. :|

Regards
Simon ZL2FAE
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

My 2 cents worth.....

All mounted at the antenna/feed point

WA2ODO preamps for 144/432........
G4DDK for 1296/2304/3400......
Used a DEM on 144 for a while...a good allround preamp.....
Good isolation relay needed........

Tried building my own, could never get any of them to work other than as a microwave oscillator ......

Cheers
Phil VK4CDI
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

6M?
PA50 u310 WB6NMT 1979 VK DX record

MH20 u311 New VK DX record and VK3 record and eme

Now AAR matchbox unknown device
Is as good as the FTDX3000 front end which has mosfets in push pull and is startling in what it hears
( near theoretical limit on wspr)
2014-01-10 02:10 VK5SIX 50.294504 -31 -1 PF95hj +43 19.953 VK3ZAZ QF12ag 463 288
2014-01-18 23:16 VK5SIX 50.294520 -30 0 PF95hj +43 19.953 VK3ZAZ QF12ag 463 288

VK3ZAZ K9HMB EN52RL 2011-01-11 00:50:00 SSB 15746 km best DX
VK3ZAZ K4MM EL97TG 2012-01-23 22:40:00 CW 15926 km best DX
VK3ZAZ N4WW EL98GQ 2013-01-15 22:36:00 CW 15873 km best DX

2M

RFC-2 RF Concepts into a crappy 706.
2014-02-04 22:04 VK5LA 144.490534 -28 0 QF05gq +40 10.000 VK3ZAZ QF12ag 403 250
ZL on 2M Tropo and 2M Es and 6/2M cross band duplex qso.

On VK3ZAZ website

People who rubbish preamps and come up with weird excuses have obviously never used a good one.

But not with crap antenna

2 cents
Tread your own path :om:
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

The following are my thoughts only, based on my past and present station setups and experiences.

2m Band:
On 2m I have played with or do play on 2m SSB, the WSJT suite of digital modes for Terrestrial/Meteor Scatter/EME contacts and have using CW for EME many years back.I had always relied upon the transceiver/transverter/inbuilt preampamplifier in PA unit in use at the time to 'hear' the signal of interest - yes it worked, but never as good a with a mast mounted preamplifier as currently used .

Today I use a commercially made preamplifier mast mounted as close to the common feed point of my 2m array, ie at the common port of my 4 way power divider. The preamp is an SP-2000 by SSB Electronics and is powered via the coaxial feed line. The interface for doing that is an DCW 2400 B sequence controller which not only feeds the DC voltage to the isolation relays/preamp, but provides the PTT command to my HP amplifier. The DCW unit is located in the shack and about 300mm from the output connector of my PA. Using the DCW/SP-2000 combination that is rated at up to 750 watts safe switching of the preamplifier, I have not experienced any problems to date and yes, it works better that any other combination of 'in shack' preamp or no preamp combinations from past times. (how much better - I don't know, as I don't have test equipment to find out).

Note: I had to disable the automatic RF sensing circuitry in my commercial PA, to ensure correct operation using the above mentioned sequencing/preamp combination.

70cm band:
As for the 2m band, I had always relied upon transceiver/transverter/inbuilt preamplifier in PA unit to hear the weak signals on 70cm, mainly on SSB mode. Again it worked to a degree with many contact made, but not as good a using a mast mounted preamplifier.

My current setup is a dedicated DCW 2004B/SP-7000 combination, also mounted at the common connector to my 4 port divider to the antenna array. The automatic RF sensing circuit of my commercial 70 PA also had to be disabled for proper use. My original sequencer is still used.

23cm band:

My 23cm station has always had a mast mounted preamplifier and separate TX-RX feeders. The original setup consisted of a VE4MA type feed horn with a single probe mounted horizontally. The preamplifier, made by WD5AGO, was powered by separate DC cables running to the dish. A very good high power high isolation single relay was used to protect the preamp. The preamp ran in RX mode 100% of the time - never switched off during TX! The relay model HF-2000/6 provided over 90dB isolation at 23cm frequencies. (The very small amount of signal coming back down the RX line enabled me to net to the TX frequency, as I used a down converter combination onto 28MHz RX. Proper sequencing was employed and the total combination worked well for years).

Having developed an interest into 23cm EME, a new feed horn was required to provide circular polarization and better receive gain, so the OK1DFC feed horn was built and a Miniits 23cm preamp was added. The separated TX and RX feeders were retained and I still use 28MHz on RX. A lesser quality mast mounted isolation relay used - an CX-520D is employed to isolate the preamp during TX (no need for overkill) and a better PA acquired.

The mast mounted isolation relay has DC voltage fed to it via the existing separate DC cables and Minikits preamp is powered via the RX line coax cable using a Minikits UHF Bias Tee. My original sequencer arrangement remains in use to control everything.

As for local noise - yes I get plenty of that! 2m is the worst band. If it get bad I swap from my IC910 to my old TS-830S/Microwave Modules Transverter combination and carry on. The noise blanker on the TS-830S works and is adjustable - though this combination is not convenient for digital modes - it does work a treat on SSB.

Why not strive for mast mounting of preamps? My experience has proved it worthwhile.

What are you waiting for...go for it!
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I, like Ross, also use the SSB Electronics pre-amps for 2/70. Have had some of them for over 10 years now. They are all mast mounted.
I use LDF5-50 cable for all main feeders except 1296, and I can say from testing done using 2m WSPR, that even with the very low loss cable runs which are only 0.4dB or so on 2m ( I've measured loss but removed the data from my website :roll: ) that having the pre-amp ON makes a good improvement in the signal to noise ratio figures of decoded signals.
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

I never had any doubt that mast head mounting the pre amps was the best way to go.
for 432 and 1296 i didnt have a issue with that , my main problem was 144 as I have a am17 amp and I thought the coax relays were going to cost me an arm and a leg to be able to handle the power, but it seems that there is an economic way to do the switching of the pre amp.. so let the debate continue with all pre amps to be mast mounted.

I have yet to look into the various options suggested by those kind enough to offer advise based on their experience, but I will get to it in the next few days. Many thanks to those who have offered advise it is much appreciated.
73 Mike VK3XL
73 Mike
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK3XL wrote:I never had any doubt that mast head mounting the pre amps was the best way to go....
There is NO DOUBT that the system Noise Figure is lowest when the coax loss before a given properly tuned LNA is lowest, ie that it is located nearest to the antenna connector.

A more intelligent analysis is to quantify HOW MUCH BETTER, and to weigh that BENEFIT against the DISADVANTAGES of location of the preamp AND its input filtering at the masthead.

The analysis will depend on the band (amongst other things).

Since almost all the responses so far have been anecdotal, and I don't recall a single one offering a numeric value for S/N improvement (which has to be the principal reason for using an LNA), allow me an anecdote.

A Canberra 2m station was located about 7km from the TV transmitter site of Black Mountain. His rx lineupt was antenna, feed line to shack, LNA, coaxial resonator (filter), transceiver. The coaxial resonator (most people will call that a cavity resonator, but anyone who has looked inside them knows it isn't a resonant cavity, but a TEM mode coaxial resonator) was to reduce IMD effects mainly due to the TV transmitters.

I asked him why the filter was located between the LNA and transceiver and his response was one of astonishment "where else would you put it", apparently not for a moment thinking of putting it in front of the LNA. When I asked if he had compared the measured S/N on a consistent weak signal for both configurations, he hadn't and was confident that the insertion loss of the filter placed in front of the LNA would seriously degrade system NF. He did agree to try the configuration, I felt more for the opportunity to demonstrate that I was talking nonsense... because his report of the difference conveyed more than genuine surprise that it was better, disbelief even... "who would of thought...".

The reason for this outcome was that although the filter in front might have introduced some tenths of a dB of Insertion Loss (which as you know degrades system NF dB for dB), the reduction in mixing of out of band signals to produce in-band noise was significantly greater giving an overall benefit. The solution and the benefit were specific to the scenario, and whilst the optimal configuration in that scenario is an option to be explored in another places, it might not be the optimimal solution in that other place.

Shortly after, I heard this chap advising another ham closer to the TV transmitters to try the same thing, but the latter could not get his mind around it as he KNEW that the BEST location for an LNA was at the masthead, and he sure as hell wasn't going to put a coaxial resonator up there with it. Of course, he was correct in recognising the disadvantage of putting a 200kHz wide coaxial resonator where temperature might vary from -10° to 60° and where it would need protection from rain, but his failure was in KNOWING that the BEST location for the LNA was simply and always at the masthead... that is when ROT (Rules of Thumb) become rot.

Why the filter discussion? Because many if not most LNAs do not give you an filter response curve, and the filter can be very important in the real world. Some designs work very poorly on some antennas, depending on the narrow bandpass effect of very high gain arrays... which is all right so long as that is what you are using.

One of the references earlier in the thread is for a source that includes in its 'product list', an LNA for 2m with NF=0.04dB. This cannot have a very effective input filter with such a low NF... but you could be lured by the low NF than cannot be realised in many practical antenna systems (eg 4 bay configurations).

The challenge here is to find a solution which is a reasonable compromise of competing factors for your own situation, and the greatest variation from station to station is the external noise environment yet almost no one quantifies it, and it is NEVER reflected in device specifications that are measured in a shielded room.

Owen
Last edited by VK2OMD on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK7HDX

Post by VK7HDX »

Check out www.minikits.com.au.
I think they go OK for the $$$.

73..Karl
VK7HDX
ZL2FAE
Forum Novice

Post by ZL2FAE »

One way is to use one good relay (or two*) at the Ant and two feeders (the preamp return casn be slightly more lossy than the TX) and a smaller relay in the shack diverting RX before the power amp. (AKS Between preamp and power amp)

* One way of cutting costs is to use a high power, low loss but not so high isolation (say 40-50db) relay followed by a microwave transfer switch around the preamp giving an additional 50+ db isolation.
Ebay is a great source of relays... just have to watch trends and pounce on a good deal.... (watch out for rogues who charge excessive freight costs and the new gouge ... Ebay Global Shipping Option which shows good prices right up till you pay for the goods then freight cost almost doubles)
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

The best way I know to answer most of the questions relevant to the design of a high performance receive system is to build a model that calculates station G/T ratio.

G/T is the ratio of antenna gain to total noise temperature (internal noise + external noise). The beauty of G/T is that receive S/N ratio changes dB for dB with G/T, in fact you can calculate S/N knowing G/T and the field strength of the signal.
Screenshot - 16_02_2014 , 07_57_57.png
Above is a G/T model of a 2m station with some realistic estimates of the environment and a practical hardware configuration (masthead LNA). Click on the image for a larger version. The estimated "Sky Noise" is VERY important, I have used 1140K which is probably a little optimistic (ie low) for most terrestrial work, it may be high for EME depending on the angles and in all cases, depending on your own environment. There is only one way to KNOW the ambient noise leve (Sky noise here) and that is to measure it.

So... G/T is -13.0dB/K.
Screenshot - 16_02_2014 , 08_00_02.png
Above the same model reconfigured to move the LNA to the shack. G/T is -13.3dB/K... 0.3dB worse than the masthead case, it S/N will be 0.3dB poorer for the convenience of a shack based LNA in this scenario. (I have placed the LNA in tandem after the PA, you would probably try and integrate it with the PA or buy a PA with a suitable integrated LNA).

When you quantify the benefit of masthead location, you are in a better position to weigh up all the relevant factors (convenience of repair / swapout when necessary, better environmentals makes tuning more stable, more practical to use a high performance filter in front of the LNA in hostile IMD environments, simpler switching) and choose a solution optimised for your requirements.

Story is different if you live in a remote RF quiet location and do EME, different again on each of the higher bands.

All of this analysis assumes linear operation of the system, ie insignificant effects of IMD which is a real threat with LNAs that deliver stunning Noise Figure absent front end selectivity to protect against IMD.

Owen
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

Wow there is a lot of info to consider. Thank you all for your input into the debate.
To answer some of the questions asked.
Simon I live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and there are a number of high power operators in the area. And no you haven't put me off (yet).
The radios I will be using are Tr751a for 2 meters (I like its receiver more than the IC9100) and the IC9100 for 70 and 1296. But I will use a ic706mk2g as a backup for 2 and 70 from time to time.
I have heard of the twin feedlines idea as well and have yet to think that one through.
Owen you have opened up another can of worms for me with your analysis of the station G/T ratio. I will have to do some more reading it seems, particularly on measuring system noise with my current non pre amped setup. As you have indicated I may not be too disadvantaged by having the preamps in the shack rather than mast mounted.

Again many thanks for your input gents.

Mike VK3XL
73 Mike