"Out of District" Callsign use

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: "Out of District" Callsign use

Post by VK4TS »

So ACMA will act on a callsign being used incorrectly and not act in the cases of on air swearing and abuse and interference with other operators ? Give me strength... :?
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK4TS wrote:Simple Compton,

The legislation should have been posted here immediately if it was available - the fact that no one has done so shows -

either

we are all ignorant to the legislation

or

It does not exist
Or no one cares enough about it to post it.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK4TS wrote:The legislation should have been posted here immediately if it was available - the fact that no one has done so shows -

either

we are all ignorant to the legislation

or

It does not exist
How about let's assume the former, and query Daniel regarding the relevant piece of legislation? Relying on the internet for advice is often ridiculous.
VK2GOM wrote:I think Owen summed it up. The fact a single complaint was received, in this day and age there are customer charters etc. and processes to follow up these complaints. We HAVE to pander to them, no matter how ridiculous the complaint.
ACMA have to "act" - ie they cannot ignore the complaint. An action can be to reply to the complainant saying that they have interpreted the rules incorrectly. Just because somebody complains doesn't mean you MUST obey them.

The Aldi example was ridiculous, people getting pent up over a very small issue. I particularly like this news article, where Warren Mundine (Chairman of Australian Government's Indigenous Advisory Council) said:
"We've got Aboriginal kids with health problems and kids not going to school - if you want to get fired up about something, try that … not a bloody T-shirt."
spot on.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

We can read I assume you can as well Geoff and the Act and LCD are there to read...No need to waste a public servants time.
Trent VK4TS
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Also,
VK2LK wrote:I think it is time that ACMA, in conjunction with WIA overhauled the callsign system to bring it in line with more modern (best) practices. In the US and NZ (and possibly in other countries too, I am yet to confirm), an amateur operator is permitted to keep their home callsign in the even they move regions (eg, a ZL2 station moving to region ZL4). This would be advantageous for specific HAMs that have set up websites, written articles, and other material.

To use an example, if someone that produces a ton of great information and enthusiasm for the hobby (e.g. VK3YE or VK1OD) we're to move, it would be of great benefit for everyone if they could retain their identity.
I would support this idea, for the reasons mentioned. The point is that whatever the system in play is, that everybody understands what the situation is.

Those bleating about US callsigns being in funny districts are obviously WAY out of touch with reality. The fact is that US callsigns are not restricted any more. When I hear a W or K or whatever callsign I just go "oh, american". I don't go "that's from kentucky" and then get bent out of shape when they're somewhere else, because that's not how callsigns work over there. They're federal callsigns now.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK4TS wrote:We can read I assume you can as well Geoff and the Act and LCD are there to read...No need to waste a public servants time.
OK, so if it's not in the LCD and you feel ACMA have operated improperly by forcing Owen to change his callsign then you should write a letter of complaint.

Whinging about it on the internet achieves nothing.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

But not really - because according to those that reckon they know, the ACMA regularly read this Forum...would have thought they had better to do..

Geoff - there is no need to bring Owen into it - he is resigned to not holding VK1OD.

But what I am concerned about is of anyone of the spineless wonders out there can send a single complaint to ACMA and have it acted upon and it affect the lot of anyone of us it is a very sad situation.

Yes I think ACMA acted incorrectly but that is my opinion and as I am not the peak body representing the Amateurs of Australia I would hope the WIA Board members who do use this forum take issue with ACMA on this matter and ask for clarification with reference to where the guidance exists for the stance taken.

On that point I will send a note to the WIA.
Trent VK4TS
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Single complaints

Post by VK3ZAZ »

single complaints are investigated in my industry
viewers and listeners alike just in case we are non compliant.
I don't know ACMA's mission statement but I bet they have one as well as an SOP, an MOS, WH&S and even an EO Policy.
You could try and put in a complaint about yourself and see where it goes.
That would be a hoot.
If they don't investigate complaints there is an Ombudsman who will investigate them, so its CATCH 22
And I assure you public servants cover their backsides ell.

Just look at the Smart meter debacle

Ever done an EMR check on your smart-meter at 1 meter?

Usually comes in as level 2 non compliant.
I complained about mine sent readings got a letter from ACMA saying they are approved and therefore they comply.

My advice re the callsign thing go see your local federal member and good luck 8)
Tread your own path :om:
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

Being as it is stinking hot and it's way to hot in the workshop/shack to do anything useful, I've spent far too long looking through all the legislation relating to Amateur Radio.

I couldn't find anything in any of the Acts or Determinations relating to Amateur Radio that had anything to do with callsigns.

However, I did find this quote on the WIA website:
Callsigns allocated to amateur stations conform with International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Radio Regulations see Callsign construction. Table 2 contains information about the callsign templates allocated to the amateur licensing options
http://www.wia.org.au/licenses/licensin ... structure/.

So, on the basis the ACMA has to implement the International Telecommunication Union Radio Regulations as they apply to us, this may be the answer re needing a new callsign when moving to a new State.

How the ITU regulations apply to the US/UK/NZ re call sign portability I don't know and to be honest, I can't really be bothered reading the regulations to find out.

I agree that we should be able to move anywhere with in the country and maintain our current callsigns, as I too have a website tied to my callsign, as do many others.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK4TS wrote:So ACMA will act on a callsign being used incorrectly and not act in the cases of on air swearing and abuse and interference with other operators ? Give me strength... :?
Of course everybody pretends there isn't an elephant in the room.
I can't help but wonder if somebody has tried to get the callsign VKnFUCK.

I must also be rather sheltered because I never hear abuse, and the only swearing I hear is either accidental or somebody has lost the plot. Probably because I might have pushed over the edge :D
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2XSO wrote: I can't help but wonder if somebody has tried to get the callsign VKnFUCK.
The call VK2FOXI was denied by ACMA. They were very nice about it, called me up and let me choose another etc but never the less said they wouldnt issue it.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK5TM wrote:However, I did find this quote on the WIA website:
Callsigns allocated to amateur stations conform with International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Radio Regulations see Callsign construction. Table 2 contains information about the callsign templates allocated to the amateur licensing options
http://www.wia.org.au/licenses/licensin ... structure/.
So, on the basis the ACMA has to implement the International Telecommunication Union Radio Regulations as they apply to us, this may be the answer re needing a new callsign when moving to a new State.
How the ITU regulations apply to the US/UK/NZ re call sign portability I don't know and to be honest, I can't really be bothered reading the regulations to find out.
ITU Radio Regulation Article 19, Section III - Formation of call signs:
19.67 Amateur and experimental stations
19.68 § 30 1)
– one character (provided that it is the letter B, F, G, I, K, M, N, R or W) and a single digit (other than 0 or 1), followed by a group of not more than four characters, the last of which shall be a letter, or
– two characters and a single digit (other than 0 or 1), followed by a group of not more than four characters, the last of which shall be a letter.5 (WRC-03)

Nothing at all about identifying districts within a country.

Another interesting point to note is that the WIA site says "When an amateur moves interstate to live, he or she will be issued a new callsign to indicate the new State or Territory of residence.". It does not say "When an amateur moves interstate to live, he or she must apply for a new callsign to indicate the new State or Territory of residence.". It seems to indicate that a new call sign will be issued automatically when you move but I don't expect this has ever happened.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2HRX wrote: The call VK2FOXI was denied by ACMA. They were very nice about it,
That's a bit bizarre. Not sure I see anything strange with the callsign.
Oh well, at least they were nice about it :)
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

No for VK2FOXI?? yes for VK4FWIT? seems odd.

John
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK5PO wrote:No for VK2FOXI?? yes for VK4FWIT? seems odd.

John
Might just indicate that ACMA things there is room for one type of behaviour in ham radio and not the other!

Owen
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

Point taken Owen.... probably correct....hehe

John
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

VK2FOXY was also denied...
Matt, VK2LK
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

ITU Radio Regulation Article 19, Section III - Formation of call signs:.......
Iain,
I'm glad I said "maybe" in my post and thanks for reading/posting ITU info.

Another case of ambiguous/not properly defined legislation again by the looks of it.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

A shrink would have a field day with this forum!! :!: :?: :!: :?:
Tread your own path :om:
VK2XSO

Re:

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2LK wrote:VK2FOXY was also denied...
Now that's interesting, because I wonder on what grounds they would refuse that callsign in the radcom act ?