FT-8900R - Any reasons NOT to buy?

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

FT-8900R - Any reasons NOT to buy?

Post by VK4GHZ »

Hi all

I'm after a set of 2m and 70cm FM transceivers for the shack.
Whilst there are plenty of 2m FM monobanders to choose from, there is a distinct lack of 70cm monobanders.
Perhaps the exception here is obtaining a TM-281 from a local source, and getting the TM-481 off eBay.

The other option is a 2/70 dualbander.

I was for some time, keen on the idea of Wouxun KGUV-920P, but after seeing the thermal image of the pre-driver transistor (previously posted by VK1OD), have put that aside into the "Ticking time bomb" category.
(And yes, you can modify it, to mitigate any risks, but.)

Moving on, I keep circling back to the FT-8900R Quadbander.
Don't really need 10m FM nor 6m FM, but for the extra 50 bucks, why not.

Based on my FT-8100R (now in it's 16th year), I have no doubt the FT-8900R should give many years of service.
(And it's way too early for these "Chinese radios" to prove themselves.)

My biggest concern is the FT-8900R's age.
This model has been available for over 11 years now. A testament to it's design and popularity.
Knowing my luck, as soon as I buy something, the following week we'll see a brand new replacement announced! :cry: :wink:

Other than that, is there any reason NOT to purchase an FT-8900R?
Please keep any brand bias illness you may have at front door!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2VHF

Re: FT-8900R - Any reasons NOT to buy?

Post by VK2VHF »

I can't think of a reason not to buy one but it does seem like Yaesu is slowly updating its range and the 817/857/897/8800/8900 are probably due next for a revamp.

That said, the updates to the HT's and 7800 (7900) seem largely cosmetic.

Go for it!
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

Hi Adam,

I have owned an FT-8900 now for about 7 years, although it doesn't seem anything like that long.
The radio has performed very well, and never once given me any problems.
I have a program written by a UK amateur that programs the memories in the radio, and that makes programming very easy, although it can still be programmed from the front panel.

I have been thinking of buying a second unit for my work vehicle, but seeing as I'm not using my personal vehicle much these days (this might change this year), I have deinstalled it from my personal vehicle and installed it in my work vehicle.
They are a great radio, and I wouldn't rule out buying another myself. 6m FM works very well mobile, especially in undulating terrain, and it's very quiet now that there's no low band TV anymore.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK2AI

Post by VK2AI »

The only thing that comes immediately to my mind is how the radio handles packet transmissions.
Unfortunately you can only define the packet RX band in the menu system (main or sub band). :evil:
This means, unlike my FT-8500, my APRS set-up would always transmit on the Main band at the time.
Which means I couldn't actively use the other bands and have 2m APRS running in the background.
Subsequently I'm no longer running APRS.

The only other thing was, I was hoping to use this set mainly as a dual band 10m/6m set but that wasn't possible.
But when scanning, this isn't a problem.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

I have FT8900 in the shack, great radio. I use a Comet duplexer to connect antennas, Stationmaster for 10m and a Diamond 2m/6m/70cm.

For field outings I have ft8800 which is generally put in crossband mode so I can use a handheld around the dish farm but have 30W of FM for liaison into a j-pole on a post. Both very similar in operation and as mentioned by others, reliable radios.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

I've had an FT-8900 for a few years now. It gets quite hot when transmitting, especially on 70cm. I've also noticed that it will drift off frequency during extended transmissions (>10 minutes) probably due to the heat. Aside from that it has performed well. I don't use it on 10m.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2AI wrote:The only other thing was, I was hoping to use this set mainly as a dual band 10m/6m set but that wasn't possible.
Why?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3ALB wrote:Why?
Lou, you'll find the answer to that between 1:20 - 1:40

VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Gotcha, thanks.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3PCW

Post by VK3PCW »

VK3ALB wrote:
VK2AI wrote:The only other thing was, I was hoping to use this set mainly as a dual band 10m/6m set but that wasn't possible.
Why?
Odd mine does it.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

I think he means 6M on 1 side and 10M on the other side.

Mine only allows 6 & 10 on the Left side along with 2/70 and a few other bands, the Right side is 2/70 only.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2FANG
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FANG »

Hi folks,

Terrible mobile radio at night. See all those buttons? None of them are backlit, You're flying blind at night. I sold mine because I couldn't see the damn thing.

--== I'm just going to edit this post because I am known for rank errors. It's possible I couldn't find a backlight function in the menus or mine was broken... even though I bought it new. But please check and prove me wrong. ==-
VK2HEY/VK2FANG
Wyangala Amateur and Citizens Radio Society
https://www.qrz.com/db/VK2HEY
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

No Adam I have had one for 4-5 years wearing out the mic cord, but other than that it works a treat.
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Appreciate all the comments.

As it turned out, I purchased two FT-7800 rigs a few weeks ago.
Although these are "twin banders", one is being used as a 2m monobander and the other as the 70cm mono bander in a base station application.

Have you tried purchasing a 70cm mono bander lately?
(Without being a million years old!)

Despite most other aspects being very good, the quad and dual banders can be a bit clumsy when it comes to cross-band repeat functionality, hence two separate radios.

The only disappointing "feature" of the FT-7800 is the mic cord, where the crappy plastic outer splits and peels away.
(This is well documented on the interwebby do hicky, however)

And I was seriously entertaining some "Chinese" radios , but I'm glad I went with something from the big three.
You know exactly what you are getting.

Very pleased :mrgreen:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/