Sun's Magnetic Poles Reverse

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
VK2AVR

Re: Sun's Magnetic Poles Reverse

Post by VK2AVR »

awesome analysis, thanks for reposting it roger :)
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thanks, Geoff. Much appreciated.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

I cant believe the VK5BC map you presented by you. I cant believe that you could get seven E clouds and an F layer all in the right places and 16 bounces and still have signal left at the end. That's not the wild side it is the totally crazy side. Every things is "if's" and 4 to 1 ranges not scientific fact. I will stay where I am till something more plausible comes along. See you at Wyong
Cheers
Mick
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Perhaps its because - that a European opening doesn't happen every day of the week and the only way for it to occur is for the Planets need to be in alignment - or in this case the Es Clouds...

Seems perfectly reasonable from Roger
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Great MAPS ROG
NICE THEORY
Get out a globe mate
Last edited by VK3ZAZ on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2BZE wrote:I cant believe the VK5BC map you presented by you. I cant believe that you could get seven E clouds and an F layer all in the right places and 16 bounces and still have signal left at the end. That's not the wild side it is the totally crazy side. Every things is "if's" and 4 to 1 ranges not scientific fact. I will stay where I am till something more plausible comes along. See you at Wyong
Cheers
Mick
Don't often see eye to eye with you Mick

This time totally agree

PIE IN THE SKY

:wink:
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

VK3ZAZ, I have no idea what we dont see eye to eye but I think we have one thing in common?
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2BZE wrote:VK3ZAZ, I have no idea what we dont see eye to eye but I think we have one thing in common?
Me neither, and no offence to Roger,
but he needs to get head out of books and do some operating then all will be revealed,
as no doubt will the real reasons this solar cycle sux.

As for some of the claims this cycle they have been truly truly remarkable.
I have not heard a squeak from the west and I am not the village idiot.

Did not come down in last shower either and know a spin when I see it.

VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I guess one could ask the question in another way. The OA contact was obviously not TEP, and given the SFI and ionospheric conditions were unlikley to produce F2, if the progagation was not multi-hop E, what was it?

With regard to the report of the Townsville beacon being heard in Italy. As I said at the time, it does not make sense. Wrong time of year, wrong time of day. This part of Australia had a lot of openings to Italy last cycle and they were in Sep-Oct, March-April and early evening our time.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Wayne VK4WDM asked
I guess one could ask the question in another way. The OA contact was obviously not TEP, and given the SFI and ionospheric conditions were unlikley to produce F2, if the progagation was not multi-hop E, what was it?
Good question, Wayne - which my published analysis answers. :)
On 8 Jan 2014, Steve VK3ZAZ posted:

[Quoting VK2ZRH:]
On 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle.

Very flawed analysis of long haul dx
Whoever said the above is incorrect..
Maybe you would care to read Jim Kenedys stuff or Bob Coopers.
We didn't come down in the last showers

I am sure I know and recognise the mechanisms that lead to my several hundred QSOs between 16000 and 17000 K and I assure you they were not e layer
And you say that, Steve, on the basis of . . . your ears? :roll:

Posted in the interests of clarifying the issue/s. :wink:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I am sure I know and recognise the mechanisms that lead to my several hundred QSOs between 16000 and 17000 K and I assure you they were not e layer
OK Steve, what were they? Don't keep us in suspense, we are all ears? :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

Hello,

Just to put a bit of context into the experts debate on E F and all other imagined modes, here is a chirp radar picture for today showing E F propagation @ 45 degrees out to 10,200km.

If there is blanketing Es all the way then no F layer returns are evident. The E/F decision can be estimated from the hop distances.

Make of it what you will. Also, subscribe to DUBUS 2014 to get the first issue in which you can read a summary of all the evidence for yourself.
28MHz Chirp Radar, 45 degrees, 03:30UTC 27 Jan 2014.
28MHz Chirp Radar, 45 degrees, 03:30UTC 27 Jan 2014.
Good dreaming about random modes.

Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER

PS. For 50MHz, summer/Winter solstice is normally nEs, Autumn/Spring Equinox is normally F, maybe enhanced by E. Equinox propagation depends on SF, Solstice nE seems to depend on having low SF.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK4MA

Post by VK4MA »

I personally would dismiss the Italian SWL report to VK5BC - SWL reports are notoriously unreliable as shown by the Dxcluster just about every day.

The far north VKs have of course had numerous contacts into the Middle East / Europe this cycle. The only far western qso I have had is with a92io in Bahrein - otherwise the west has been deathly silent here in Hervey Bay

Cheers
Paul - vk4ma
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Paul,

Being cautious, I contacted Davide IW9HII by email (he'd emailed Brian VK5BC) to check the details and to determine if the report was genuine and credible. From our email exchange, I was satisfied that it was. If the ionospheric indications did not line up all the necessary ducks, I would have reported that and questioned the validity of the report. :|

Davide IW9HII is not an SWL. He is well-known in northern hemisphere 6m DX circles.
VK4MA

Post by VK4MA »

Hello Roger

I think this an example of the gap between the theorist and the true dxer

A simple search on the DXcluster history will show you the following spot:

VK6KXW 50110.0 VK5BC rx:559 ssb 0703 27 Jul Australia

IW9HII has seen this spot and either imagined he heard vk5bc (note his report to vk5bc is only 3/1) or has made out out he has heard vk5bc for reasons only known to himself

If IW9HII genuinely heard vk5bc why did he not spot vk5bc on the cluster himself (he is a cluster user). Certainly if I heard a long haul dx station that was not coming back to my call I would spot him on the cluster straight away. This may bring up other dx in his area who can hear better or even alert the dx to listen a bit harder.

As Judge Judy often says, "if it does not make sense, then it is not true"

You will enhance the credibility of your theorising if you stick to genuinely verifiable contacts. I would suggest there is not a true 6M dxer on this forum who believes this IW9HII report is genuine.

Cheers
Paul - vk4ma
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

the west has been deathly silent here in Hervey Bay
We have had the same silence in Nth QLD too. It is only the VK8s that have worked into Europe as far as I am aware. Not a squeak here in Townsville and we are usually well placed for EU DX. Not totally given up on this cycle yet. March April might bring in something.

I would not totally dismiss the VK5BC report. Strange things do happen on 6m :lol: Maybe he heard a reflection from a distant galaxy of a transmission made years ago :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Just to throw in a red herring, I know that Franz VK3WHO has recently worked Spain on 6M ROS Digital mode... using his HF long wire.
ROS give you an immediate automatically generated on screen report of the stations that receive your call, so you know that the connection is genuine.

- David VK3KCX
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Another red herring is the fact that signals do not always follow the the direct great circle route. Back in thE late sixties on 10 metres I often worked into Sweden from Northern VK8 while beaming due north. The great circle bearing was about 30 degrees west of north. I suspect that a tilt of the reflecting layer was the cause.

David
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

I would SERIOUSLY challenge the ROS mode qso into EA from VK on 6m. There are lots of stations out there
with MUCH SUPERIOR antennas than a HF long wire will ever be on 6m. If the band opened, there would DEFINITELY
be more qso's documented.... Most probably only on CW.

I find that totally hard to believe.

DX'ers? and theorists. Some love the limelight, It will invariably get in the way of FACTS.

73, John
VK4MA

Post by VK4MA »

Agree John

I think someone was pulling vk3who's leg

I don't know what goes on with the 6 metre folk. I have been working 160 metres for 20+ years and never once have I encountered a claimed qso by another VK that I thought dubious. Yet on six metres I quite regularly question the integrity of some of the SWL / qso data that I see. May be I just don't understand the six metre band as well as I do 160.

Cheers
Paul - vk4ma