Sun's Magnetic Poles Reverse

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Sun's Magnetic Poles Reverse

Post by VK2ZRH »

NASA has announced that the Sun's north and south magnetic poles have changed places, marking the the "mid-point" of Solar Cycle 24. 8)

Here, "mid-point" doesn't mean midway in terms of time. It signifies the "phase" in the solar cycle's magnetic progress - the decline of solar activity usually takes a longer time than the rise.

NASA's Dr Tony Phillips has been quoted as saying “A reversal of the sun's magnetic field is, literally, a big event.” :shock:

The Space Daily website reports (1/1/14) that NASA released a statement on its website, but danged if I can find it. :(

"The sun's polar magnetic fields weaken, go to zero and then emerge again with the opposite polarity. This is a regular part of the solar cycle," Stanford solar physicist Phil Scherrer explained . . . on the Space Daily website here: http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Sun_f ... s_999.html

It seems the momentous event occurred on 30th or 31st December (Earth time).

No, it's not time to kiss the solar maximum goodbye and pack up the 15-10-6m gear. :o Indeed, on 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle. :lol:

Posted in the interests of sharing the news. :)
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4WDM

Re: Sun's Magnetic Poles Reverse

Post by VK4WDM »

On 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle.
That is something that appears to be forgotton with the newer generation of 6m ops. Multi-hop Es are characterised by being very weak (often S1 or S2), usually very fluttery, and often very brief, maybe just enough time for a call sign and signal report exchange, and most often CW only. There is very little chance of these stations being heard if they are mixed in with much stronger domestic signals. That is why the IARU designated a DX only segment and the international DX calling frequency of 50.110 back in the early 1980's.

We don't have much of a problem up here in Northern Australia because when there is DX is in it is unusual to have VK QRM, but it must be very difficult working weak signals in southern areas where 50.110 is used as a domestic calling frequency and the lower part of the band is occupied with strong locals.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Wayne,

Multi-hop Es (that's ee-ess, not eez) is not always characterised by weak, short-lived signals. Here's a quote from Costas SV1DH (from Six News), concerning a prominent 2006 opening across the Atlantic:
At 1530z on 4th June US East Coast stations started to propagate to Athens and within minutes a US and VE pile-up developed until 1630z. Signals were quite strong but stations were fading out and coming back within seconds.

Here's a clip from VKLogger on 2/1/12, when OA4TT poured into ZL and VK via multi-hop Es:
02-Jan-12 21:53VK4DDC>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1020 CW 559 > QG62PB @ 13041.0km 124°

02-Jan-12 22:02VK2OT>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1030 CW 589 > QG60JK @ 12979.0km 125°

02-Jan-12 22:20VK4WTN>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1030 CW 559 > QG64KR @ 13239.1km 123° wow what a New year present

02-Jan-12 22:26VK2FLR>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1030 CW 59 > QF560D @ 12816.8km 128° first OA contact out of Sydney

02-Jan-12 22:31VK4HJ>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1030 SSB 55 > QG63JQ @ 13182.5km 124° Tnx New ONE

02-Jan-12 22:34VK4CZ>> OA4TT in FH16TW on 50.1036 CW 519 > QG62LP @ 13108.6km 124°
That's "the magic band" for you! :mrgreen:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Roger

Of course there are exceptional E openings and the one you quote are a good examples, but I would guess that 95% would be "weak signal" or "very weak" signal and only worked in clear band conditions by a very skilled CW op with a well-setup station, and most importantly loads of luck.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Wayne,

Having trawled the enormous number of reports of long-haul 6m band openings across the globe from 2002 to 2012, I can say without equivocation that your guess ". . . that 95% would be "weak signal" or "very weak" signal . . ." is not supported by the facts. :roll:

And the openings are not always short-lived. Yes, there are openings that, for some operators at least, would be characterised as weak signal, and fewer as very weak signal openings.

There are many factors at work that contribute to observed signal strengths of long-haul Es openings. I have analysed the chain of propagation and Tx-Rx factors of a number of reported long-haul openings and compared the results against observed signal strengths, finding good agreement. Indeed, I've "put my money where my mouth is" and given lectures at Gippstech(s) on the subject - without subsequent challenge from 6m aficionados (but that doesn't prove that I'm necessarily right!). :shock:

Naturally, your own experience(s) will inform your view of the characteristics of long-haul Es openings. I note that VK2FLR worked OA4TT running 200 W to a 3-ele Yagi, firing through Sydney's Anzac Bridge from his QTH in inner-Sydney Glebe. 8)
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

That's most interesting, Roger.

Could it be that there's a sort of correlation between this magnetic field reversal and the only-minimal experience of Es during this Australian summer season on 50 and 144 MHz?

Furthermore, and going back on many years of anecdotal reports of many radio amateurs' TEP experiences on these same bands, could there also be an inverse correlation going on such that TEP is "up" on years when Es is "down", possibly all associated with the solar magnetic cycle?

Just thinking out aloud.....

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"I note that VK2FLR worked OA4TT running 200 W to a 3-ele Yagi, firing through Sydney's Anzac Bridge from his QTH in inner-Sydney Glebe"
Ah, after nearly 50 years I have finally found the answer, but can I convince my XYL to move near a bridge? :mrgreen:

Yes, you are correct Roger, most of us have differing experiences on 6m and I certainly have not done the research that you have done. What is important is for 6m ops to get active on the air - you never know what might pop up :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Doug.

Thinking out loud has led to some interesting discoveries and ideas in the past. :)

Sporadic E is a phenomenon generated by windy weather in the mesosphere and lower thermosphere (MLT - the region of the atmosphere from about 90 km to about 200 km above the Earth's surface). Wind shears gather long-lived metallic ions (Mg, Fe) that drag electrons after them, forming the thin layers of sporadic E. The solar cycle influence on the MLT appears to be complex.

Hence, the variation of MLT phenomena such as Es is observed to be complex. No two Es seasons are the same :shock: The MLT wind systems apparently shift over a timeframe of years, even though annual variations are readily observed (we have a major summer Es season and a minor winter Es season).

Looking at Es VHF propagation, wide variations season to season, and over 11-15 years, are observed, but no clear direct correlation with either the 11-year or 22-year solar cycles emerges. :roll: Some studies support the notion of correlation, yet other studies don't. :roll: :roll:

Consider these conclusions, for example:
  • - “We may conclude that foEs and VHF oblique propagation show little variation with sunspot number . . .” (Whitehead, 1989).

- Emil Pocock W3EP and Pat Dyer WA5IYX (QST 1992), detailing 11 years of VHF DX observations and analysis, concluded there was: “. . . no discernable solar cycle correlation”.

- Ionospheric researcher Roy Piggott (1984) found a positive correlation between VHF Es propagation and the solar cycle.

- Mitra & Dagupta found (1963) a positive correlation between Es occurrence at midday in mid-latitudes.

- Joe Kraft DL8HCZ / CT1HZE (DUBUS, 2008) believes he’s found a positive correlation between 2m Es and the 22-year solar magnetic cycle.
There is evidence to suggest that the shifting MLT wind patterns shift Es propagation patterns, even for geographically close paths, as this diagram demonstrates:
Contours of foEs (ie. strong-intense Es on ionograms) occurrence rates for years of high and low solar activity, showing two Es propagation paths that would experience the opposite activity rates for high versus low solar activity. Path A is about 1500 km, Path B about 1400 km (after Saksena and Marwah, 1996). From GippsTech Proceedings, 2009.
Contours of foEs (ie. strong-intense Es on ionograms) occurrence rates for years of high and low solar activity, showing two Es propagation paths that would experience the opposite activity rates for high versus low solar activity. Path A is about 1500 km, Path B about 1400 km (after Saksena and Marwah, 1996). From GippsTech Proceedings, 2009.
At left, the high solar activity case, the propagation occurrence rate experienced on path A would be 40%, while on path B it would 67.5%. At right, the low solar activity case, the propagation occurrence rate experienced on path A would be greater than 60%, while on path B it would be less than 50%. :mrgreen:

These two geographically adjacent propagation paths of similar length would experience opposite propagation activity rates for high versus low solar activity !

Bound to confound. :lol:

Meanwhile, TEP propagation is correlated with the solar cycle, as both afternoon (super mode) and evening (ducted mode) TEP types are phenomena in the F region of the ionosphere influenced by solar activity. See:
Afternoon TEP - http://home.iprimus.com.au/toddemslie/aTEP-Harrison.htm
and Evening TEP - http://home.iprimus.com.au/toddemslie/eTEP-Harrison.htm

There endeth the lesson for the day. :wink:
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Thanks, Roger, for a concise, clear and up-to-date summary of what's currently known/understood in relation to the thoughts I posed about Es and TEP perhaps being correlated with the solar cycle.

Despite some data being a little 'confounding', the lesson was good!

Cheers,

--Doug, '4OE.
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

Dear Roger,
I find the multihop E theory hard to swallow, on 2 occasions I have worked 50 watts 5 elem 14 metres asl to central America. That is six and a quarter E hops. I cannot comprehend six E clouds being present in the right places across the Pacific and over a 7 hour time zone span. This involves the sun creating E clouds over this time and it mainly peaks at midday. I don't know about the quarter hop. The signal left from six hops at 50 watts would not even give a WSPR contact. Help me. Mick VK2BZE
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Hello Roger

Traditionlly from ZL3 it was easy to work Centrail America daily at the cycle peaks and many will remember XE1GE sk.
Signals from the top or South America never came further South than Wellington , but did work PJ9EE.
I have never heard a YV, there were plenty on.
So was over the moon to work OA4TT with my 100 watts ssb.

Used to get strong ssb strength signals from W5, 6 less 7 and quite a few W4.
Will never forget 19.11.91 from 1750 to 2250z worked W1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, 67 qsos the book sez worked ZL4DK XE VE1, 3 also.

All this excitment so early in the morn. made me very unwell, so had to throw a work sickie.

Wondering how you relate my experences to you theorys.
Wondering why long distance dx is only worked around cycle max, or are old F2 DX theorys discounted as wrong.

73 Ross
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4WDM wrote:
On 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle.
Very flawed analysis of long haul dx

Whoever said the above is incorrect..

Maybe you would care to read Jim Kenedys stuff or Bob Coopers.

We didn't come down in the last showers

I am sure I know and recognise the mechanisms that lead to my several hundred QSOs between 16000 and 17000 K and I assure you they were not e layer

As for 110

every time I hear QRM its VK4 either A.. or Z... and sundries of others who use it like a spring board.

SFI=237, A=8, K=1, Strong w/S2 R3 -> Moderate w/G2 S2

NO DX of any kind
Tread your own path :om:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Steve
Indeed, on 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle

I was just quoting Roger's original post. It is a subject that is fascinating for those who like to debate such things. For me it is just another contact, and I don't really worry about what mode it may be as long as I get a valid report and a QSL card :D

And if you hear THIS VK4 on 50.110 I am looking for contacts, or answering CQs outside VK :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

VK3ZAZ In light of your hundreds of 16000 klm contacts and in the true spirit of our amateur forbears would you like to enlighten the world on the mechanism by which it was achieved.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I see a few sceptics have gathered. :)

First, let me expand on a point a made earlier.
Indeed, on 6m, most long-haul DX happens via multi-hop Es, which is not hung-up on the vagaries of the solar cycle.
I have trawled through many dozens of reports of long-haul 6m DX in AR magazine, Six News (UKSMG), DUBUS and QST et al going back to 2005, covering many 100s of contacts and propagation paths. Reports of propagation paths that are clearly NOT F-layer outnumber the F-layer supported paths by a LARGE factor. And the reports continued in a stream right through the looong solar minimum. A 6m propagation path that crosses the geomagnetic equator may be supported by the high-density 'bulges' of the Equatorial Ionospheric Anomaly (EIA).

The EIA deserves a quick explanation here. Solar radiation causes plasma (ions and electrons) in the E and F regions over the geomagnetic equator to move up across the Earth's magnetic field lines, which are horizontal here. This sets up a complex process called the 'Fountain Effect', such that the plasma reaches high in the F-region and then flows north and south along the magnetic field lines, accumulating into enormous ‘bulges’ in the F2 region that generally extend from about 10deg to 30deg geomagnetic latitude to the north and south of the geomagnetic equator. The anomaly zones enlarge (in latitude and longitude) and become denser as the day progresses and they move westward, following the Sun. The EIA dissipates after the Sun sets on the ionosphere.

Around the equinoxes, the EIA bulges are pretty symmetrical, while around the solstices, they’re not. In the northern summer, the northern EIA is large and dense, while the southern one is small and less dense; vice-versa in the southern summer. As most 6m ops know, the two EIA zones support daytime 6m chordal-hop TEP, most often around the equinoxes, but also outside those seasons at times, depending on favourable solar and ionospheric conditions.

Some Long-Haul Paths Examined

I have analysed quite a number of reported propagation paths, using available ionospheric data, antenna and Tx/Rx parameters etc, to determine how the signals went from one location to another.
On 8 Jan 2014, Mick VK2BZE posted:
I find the multihop E theory hard to swallow, on 2 occasions I have worked 50 watts 5 elem 14 metres asl to central America. That is six and a quarter E hops. I cannot comprehend six E clouds being present in the right places across the Pacific and over a 7 hour time zone span. This involves the sun creating E clouds over this time and it mainly peaks at midday. I don't know about the quarter hop. The signal left from six hops at 50 watts would not even give a WSPR contact. Help me.
Well Mick, and others, let's see if you can swallow the following. Below is a snapshot of VK Logger 6m spots over four hours around 2300 UTC on 2Jan12 (courtesy Adam VK4GHZ). 6m opened from 0000 UT to Costa Rica and Panama. TI5XP (EK70NM), worked into VK2, VK4 and VK5. TI7/N5BEK (EK70CK) worked into VK4, VK5 and VK7, followed by TI2KI/8 (EJ79) into VK2. HP3TA in Panama (EJ88) worked into VK3. XE2HWB worked into VK2 and VK3. In the midst of the action, the previous day’s US stations in EM00 worked into VK2, VK3, VK5 and VK7, picking up ZL contacts along the way.
Snapshot of 6m DX paths around 2300 UTC 2Jan2012
Snapshot of 6m DX paths around 2300 UTC 2Jan2012
Note the nested ovals of the northern and southern EIA regions. These are 'representative' of the geographic positions of the bulges, which increase in density towards the centres.

All the above contacts crossed the EIA and the reported characteristics are typical of TEP - even though well outside the equinoctial period (Feb-April).

The ionosonde on Niue Island lies pretty much beneath the southern EIA. The combination of foF2 values and height of the F2 layer over the period the contacts occurred showed the necessary conditions to support TEP. There are many obvious Es paths between VK-ZL, while E51EME on Raratonga worked into eastern VK and to ZL - clearly, via Es. So the paths from USA, Mexico and Central America were most likely Es-extended, skewed-path TEP. The ionosonde on Niue Island lies pretty much beneath the southern EIA. The combination of foF2 values and height of the F2 layer over the period the contacts occurred showed the necessary conditions to support TEP.

But the paths running from Peru across the South Pacific to ZL and VK are clearly well outside the EIA zones.

At 2158 UT, 2 January, OA4TT (Canete, Peru) worked VK4DDC, followed a minute later by E51EME (BG80CT) on Raratonga, Cook Islands. 6m was open between VK and ZL, and in the half hour after 2200 UT, OA4TT worked VK2OT, ZL2TPY, ZL1NX, ZL3ADT, VK4WTN, VK2FLR, VK4HJ and VK4CZ. Distances extended from 8870 km (E51EME) to 13,239 km (VK4WTN). The time difference between OA4TT and eastern VK is 9 hours – morning in VK (and ZL) and afternoon in Peru, which fits the ‘classic’ summer solstice short path (SSSP), or “extreme range east-west” Es (EWEE), propagation pattern.

This event provided an opportunity to characterise the OA4TT-VK/ZL path, based on the methodology I have detailed online in a posting titled, Signal Strengths of VHF sporadic E propagation, at: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10336

This methodology enables the determination of total transmission path losses for Es propagation. For the exercise, my friend of 40 years, Mike VK2FLR, provided key details of his contact and station equipment. OA4TT’s qrz.com pages provided details of his station. IPS ionosondes at the VK end, the Jicamaraca ionosonde in Peru (a little north of OA4TT), along with a backscatter radar sounding by VK3OER added useful information. The backscatter sounding below, rather later than the excitement, clearly shows contiguous multi-hop Es from 660 km out to 4000 km (east of ZL).
Backscatter Radar sounding from VK3OER on 2Jan2012, 2324 UTC.
Backscatter Radar sounding from VK3OER on 2Jan2012, 2324 UTC.
The VK2FLR-OA4TT path is 12,817 km long. The usual rule-of-thumb would indicate 6-hop Es at 2137 km per hop, close to the limiting case maximum (zero raypath elevation angle). I analysed the likely path characteristics at the VK-ZL end based on ionograms from IPS stations in the area, which showed sufficient Es electron density, with the Es height at 99 km. From VK/ZL to Peru, across the South pacific region, Es events most often occur at 105 km height, based on studies of radio occultation of GPS signals. So I constructed a likely vertical profile of the propagation path, which yielded 8 hops, Es all the way. A check against the passage of the southern EIA bulge showed that the last hop or two closest to OA4TT were quite unlikely to be F2 skip as electron densities that late in the day near South America would not have supported 50 MHz. The geographic path and profile are shown below.
An example of long-haul, multi-hop Es propagation.
An example of long-haul, multi-hop Es propagation.
OA4TT was running 1 kW to an 8-element Yagi at 20 metres height, while VK2FLR was running around 100 W to a 3-element Yagi at 10 metres height at his inner-city location of Glebe Point, in Sydney.

The VK2FLR-OA4TT transmission path loss analysis gave a S/N ratio for OA4TT at VK2FLR of 18 dB, confirmed by VK2FLR (quote: “S3 by ear” – Mike’s an experienced operator). Could it have been 7 hops? The analysis gave a negative SNR! Could it have been more hops? At raypath elevation angles best suited to the antenna elevation radiation angles at each end, the path would be 12 hops, but losses reduce the SNR well below that reported.

I trust you find the above informative, Mick (and others).
VK4MA

Post by VK4MA »

"Here's a clip from VKLogger on 2/1/12, when OA4TT poured into ZL and VK via multi-hop Es:"

Possibly another fact counting against the OA4TT opening being a purely Es related phenomena is that I also heard q5 (but did not work) ce2/ve7sv shortly after working OA4TT on that day.
This is a very wide spread at the South American end of the path

Cheers
Paul - vk4ma
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

That's a very interesting observation, Paul. Thanks for that. :)

Actually, hearing CE2 (Chile) during that opening counts FOR multi-hop Es across the South Pacific. Think about it. The difference in great circle bearing between OA4TT and ce2/ve7sv is not great, about 12-13 degrees further south. :|

The global maps of foF2 for the period showed the usual pattern of declining values going south from the EIA,ie. MUFs unable to support 50 MHz, even for long hops. :cry:
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

Dear Rog,
If confusing people with technical jargon, ever shifting goal posts and quoting what happened on one particular day proves what you are saying your theory
must be right. To dumb old me it gets more implausable every time I read it. Luckily in this country we can agree to disagree but it is important that we keep an open mind and keep observing. One day somebody will crack it.
Regards Mick HNY
VK2BZE

Post by VK2BZE »

Roger,
I find it mind boggleing, they tried to get me to believe in god but that failed as well, lucky in this country we can agree to disagree. The main thing is to keep looking, someone will crack it one day. Cheers Mick
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

OK, Mick. Here's another day, same type of analysis. This time VK5 to the Mediterranean. The following story was published in Amateur Radio magazine last year. More mind boggling. :)

VK to Sicily in 8 or 10 hops!

On 27 July 2012, Brian VK5BC enjoyed a fine winter afternoon on 6m when the band opened over most of VK. Late in the day, Brian was surprised to receive an email from Davide IW9HII, on Sicily, who reported hearing his SSB signal at 0706 UTC, at 3/1 with QSB. Brian confirmed that he was calling CQ at the time, beaming northwest to VK6 as he had earlier copied the VK6RSX beacon at Dampier, at RST 559.

Brian posted a report to the VK Logger Forums (search “Any Thoughts”, or IW9HII), sparking some discussion. He remarked that the day “. . . was probably the best winter opening in VK5 this season with the band open to VK2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 over a couple hour period.” 8)

Intrigued by the report, which, on the face of it I thought was credible, I embarked on an analysis of the probable propagation mode/s.

IW9HII is located in Marsala, right on the western tip of Sicily, at 37.81deg N, 12.46deg E (JM67FT). The path distance between VK5BC and IW9HII is 15,250 km, for which the 50 MHz free space path loss is 150.1 dB [1].

Given that the northern hemisphere summer sporadic E season was in full swing, and the southern hemisphere minor winter sporadic E season was providing widespread 50 MHz DX on the day, it was obvious that Es was most likely to be involved at each end of the path. It’s the bit in between passing over the Indian Ocean, the Middle East and the Mediterranean that had to be figured out.

Figure 1 (below) shows an azimuth-equidistant map of the VK5BC-IW9HII path, together with my analysis of the likely propagation modes. Local time across the map is shown by the arrows across the equatorial line. The heavy broken line running east-west is the geomagnetic dip equator, while the two light broken lines near the path centre indicate the limits of the daily equatorial sporadic E region. I have shown the locations of ionosondes at Learmonth, Cocos Island, Gibilmanna (on Sicily) and Guangzhou (China). I used data from these ‘sondes to deduce characteristics of the likely propagation modes.
Figure 1. Map of the VK5BC-IW9HII path and, below, the vertical plane projection of the likely propagation modes (not to scale). The path may be designated as nEs-F-nEs. The equatorial ionospheric anomaly zones are indicated by EIA north and EIA south.
Figure 1. Map of the VK5BC-IW9HII path and, below, the vertical plane projection of the likely propagation modes (not to scale). The path may be designated as nEs-F-nEs. The equatorial ionospheric anomaly zones are indicated by EIA north and EIA south.
As it was most likely involved in this unusual event, the equatorial ionospheric anomaly (EIA) requires a quick explanation. Solar radiation causes plasma (ions and electrons) in the E and F regions over the geomagnetic equator to move up across the Earth's magnetic field lines, which are horizontal here. This sets up a complex process called the 'Fountain Effect' (outlined in my previous post), such that the plasma flows north and south along the magnetic field lines, accumulating into enormous ‘bulges’ in the F2 region that generally extend from about 10O to 30O geomagnetic latitude to the north and south of the geomagnetic equator. The anomaly zones enlarge and become denser as the day progresses and they move westward, following the Sun. The EIA generally dissipates after the Sun sets on the ionosphere. Around the equinoxes, the EIA bulges are pretty symmetrical, while around the solstices, they’re not. In the northern summer, the northern EIA is large and dense, while the southern one is small and less dense; vice-versa in the southern summer.

The two EIA zones support daytime 6m chordal-hop transequatorial propagation (TEP), most often around the equinoxes, but also outside those seasons at times, depending on favourable solar and ionospheric conditions [2].

In Figure 1, I have sketched-in the ‘leading edge’ of the northern EIA. It would have passed over the Guangzho ‘sonde some 3-4 hours earlier, so I looked at the data published online. Sure enough, over 0700-0800 UT, the F2 critical frequencies rose above 12.5 MHz, enough to support a skip of 3800-4000 km at 50 MHz [3] after 1030 LT when the path opened. So this sector of the path is highly likely to have been an F2 skip. However, 2-hop Es can’t be entirely ruled out, as the northern hemisphere summer Es season was in full swing.

Between VK5BC and the equator, the Learmonth and Cocos Island ‘sondes both had spread-Es present, suggesting ‘petit chordal hop’ Es propagation [4]. Reception of the VK6RSX beacon 2660 km away indicated 2-hop Es of 1330 km per hop. From b to e, I deduced that Es of around 1950 km/hop (perhaps uneven hops) supported the path.

From landfall in the Middle East at f, it would have needed two Es hops of 1300-1400 km each. Interrogating the DXmaps 50 MHz database [5] over 0630-0910 UT showed that the propagation moved northwesterly, with skip distances ranging from 900-2300 km. If the Es was drifting northwest at speeds of 50-200 metres/sec, the ionograms would show Es with suitable characteristics would have moved between point g and Sicily some 2-3 hours earlier. Indeed it did, with Es drift speeds estimated at 110-125 m/s.

I did a rough estimate of VK5BC’s signal strength at Sicily, using the method I have outlined on the VK Logger Forum [6], extending it for this exercise. Total path loss is roughly 178-180 dB, so VK5BC’s antenna gain and power output would yield a signal strength around -118 to -120 dBm, which is S1 in anybody’s book. :mrgreen:

There you go, Mick. Take a walk on the wild side. :lol:

EDIT: I forgot to include the references. :oops:

References

[1] http://www.siversima.com/rf-calculator/ ... alculator/

[2] http://home.iprimus.com.au/toddemslie/aTEP-Harrison.htm

[3] Appleton, E. and W. J. G. Beynon 1947, “The application of ionospheric data to radio-communication problems: part II”, Proceedings of the Physical Society, Vol. 59, No. 1, January 1947, p. 66. Fig. 6 (Transmission curves). doi: 10.1088/0959-5309/59/1/311

[4] Harrison, R. L. VK2ZRH 2012, “On sporadic E VHF propagation and solving a mystery about maximum usable frequencies – Parts 1 and 2”, Amateur Radio magazine, April and May.

[5] http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php

[6] Harrison, R. 2012, "Signal Strengths of VHF Sporadic E Propagation", at viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10336.
Last edited by VK2ZRH on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.