Simple solution to 110 dilemma

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Simple solution to 110 dilemma

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Worked VK2BLA on 145, he called on 145 we worked on 145.

50.110 is by world definition the international DX calling frequency
Not halo mobiles on Bightin beach
Not mobile on sydney harbour bridge.
Not cq contest qsy 50.150

Try calling up the band people will have to loosen up the rustyy dials and remove the rubber band 110 reset and will
TUNE for a CALL>
OT, new policy
Not to respond on 110 to any domestic call
Feel free to shoot the messenger if you hear me ever call on 110 in answer to a domestic CQ call.
I will not answer any domestic response.
Dont like it send me an email...

Anyone going to follow suit?

SO not a solution you think, ahh well them's the breaks...

cheers
Tread your own path :om:
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: Simple solution to 110 dilemma

Post by VK4TS »

Thats the solution... :lol:
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Any response will give the caller confirmation the band is open -

Part of the problem could be in the wording of the contest Rules

"Except for CW, no contest operation is allowed below 50.150 MHz. Recognised DX calling frequencies must not be used
for contest activity. Suggested procedure for SSB stations is to call on .150 or higher on each band, and QSY up to make
the contest exchange."

and for the Ross Hull

"Calling frequencies should be kept as clear as possible so as not to interfere with
other stations making or listening for calls. If contact is established on a recognised DX calling frequency (i.e. 50.110,
144.100 etc), stations should QSY up to .150 or higher to make the contest exchange. All rulings of the contest manager
will be accepted as final."

This rule needs to change to be inline with the Field day...perhaps what needs to happen in the contest rules is NO USE OF CALLING FREQUENCIES to allow non contestors to use the bands...but then who would they talk to ?

Is is the use of a International DX calling frequency to contact local ops sufficient to disqualify the entrant ? :?
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Feel free to shoot the messenger
Some people might consider that to be a merciful alternative for all 6m ops :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

The only reason everyone calls on 110 is that everyone knows that everyone else listens on 110 when they aren't doing anything else.

I have never worked a contest on 6m, so I might be way off base here, but... how about suggesting a "contest only" calling frequency.

Rules such as.....
No contact made or initiated below 50.150 will be valid for scoring.
Stations can call CQ on any frequency above 50.150, but for the duration of the contest 50.150 is the contest calling frequency. But stations must QSY up from 50.150 after initial contact.

Maybe that would encourage contest traffic to leave 110 alone ??
Jack VK2AXL
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2AXL wrote:The only reason everyone calls on 110 is that everyone knows that everyone else listens on 110 when they aren't doing anything else.

I have never worked a contest on 6m, so I might be way off base here, but... how about suggesting a "contest only" calling frequency.

Rules such as.....
No contact made or initiated below 50.150 will be valid for scoring.
Stations can call CQ on any frequency above 50.150, but for the duration of the contest 50.150 is the contest calling frequency. But stations must QSY up from 50.150 after initial contact.

Maybe that would encourage contest traffic to leave 110 alone ??
For many that would not suite the antennas , more to the point why not make the "calling area " much wider
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hi all,
This is how I see things as little pistol on 6 m, once a year (with summer Es) put up my 3 element Yagi from home and don't expect to work the world.
I'm more than happy to just work a VK or two ..
And to be honest don't like to call CQ on 50.110 and when I listen on 50.110 don't here much either.
What would be, or could be a neat idea is to have a ZL to VK (or the other way around the same) calling frequency that I can park my rig on and also call CQ.
Seems to work rather well with 50.150 for contests .. so where is the meeting place (or frequency on 6) for VK to ZL or vice versa.
Two cents worth from ZL ..
Cheers, Steve
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

VK4TI wrote:For many that would not suite the antennas ,
Inter VK and contest operation is supposed to be above 150. Why would anyone enter a contest with antennas that wont go above 150?
VK4TI wrote: more to the point why not make the "calling area " much wider
You mean exactly what is happening at the moment? A spot frequency would give people something to focus on which may take attention away from 110.

In a "debate" which continually goes round and round in circles getting nowhere, a contest only calling frequency has never been suggested before (I don't think). I should at least get credit for coming up with something new and not same old pulp again :D
Jack VK2AXL
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

VK2AXL wrote: I have never worked a contest on 6m, so I might be way off base here, but... how about suggesting a "contest only" calling frequency.
The pseudo-standard calling frequencies for VHF/UHF FDs is 50.150, 144.150 etc and no one participating in the event listens on 50.110 ( or 144.100, 432.100 etc) as a matter of course. All of the 6M ops listen 50.150.

Next weekend is the Summer FD so there will be lots of calls heard on .150, .160. .170 etc on most bands between 50MHz and 47GHz. Have a listen and join in - we usually need as many callsigns to work as we can.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2NC

Post by VK2NC »

I wish there was such a 'dilemma' at my QTH, because I rarely hear anything on 110.

For that reason, I have no problem with anyone calling CQ, as long as they QSY if the contact is local / summer Es.
Last edited by VK2NC on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I have said it before and I will say it again multiple calling frequencies will never work. The dead dog must be buried once and for all. Call CQ and QSY easy that's why we have VFO's.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
ZL4DK
Forum Novice

Post by ZL4DK »

I don't believe that a little QRP station has any less rights to call on the calling frequency than a QRO station, and indeed I believe the majority of QRO station operators believe this also.
I don't believe multiple calling frequencies are a good idea. The whole idea of a calling frequency is to have one spot to park your radio on when the band is quiet and you are doing something else in the shack. If you have multiple frequencies people will still park their radios on the frequency they believe most people will call on, and people will call on the frequency they believe most people are listening to.
I kind of agree with the sentiment I saw a few days ago that suggested that maybe the chaos that occurs on 50.110 from time to time is part of the fun and excitement of six metres.
The only problem I see with 50.110 is people believe that when the band is busy they should still call on this frequency. Where as many people point out 50.110 becomes too much of a mess to hear things on at times. It is generally more profitable to call on another frequency, or listen around for DX calling on other frequencies. If you believe that people won't find you by tuning around then announce where you are calling or listening on one or more of the loggers around the world.

Regards
David ZL4DK
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

ZL4DK wrote:I kind of agree with the sentiment I saw a few days ago that suggested that maybe the chaos that occurs on 50.110 from time to time is part of the fun and excitement of six metres.
Bloody hell, a balanced opinion like that definitely wasn't shared on a ham forum!! :lol:

Bands like 6m (with sporadic op-E-nings) need a single calling frequency. However, if the band is open and everyone is being a LID on the calling frequency then just spin the dial. Any other operator with half a brain will be doing the same thing.

6m was open into VK5 and ZL for the field day today. It was awesome. 50.150 descended into unintelligible pileup at one point and I just laughed. Good to see so much activity on sic meters!