Meteor Scatter to Northern Queensland

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Meteor Scatter to Northern Queensland

Post by VK4UH »

Good Morning all

WE did try last year to encourage interest in some MS skeds with stations in North and Far North VK4

I would like to try again and ask if there are any operators already set up with WSJT/FSK441 (or any digital mode inc SSTV) who would like to try working us guys in the southern part of the state

Who's out there?

Send me an e-mail and I would hope to line up the guys at this end. Happy as always to give some help and advice if required to get you started

100 watts and an 8 el Yagi is all that is needed to start. Elevation control is not needed

Kevin VK4UH Brisbane
vk4uh@wia.org.au
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Re: Meteor Scatter to Northern Queensland

Post by VK2DVZ »

I am sure that operators further south in VK1, VK2, VK3 and VK5 are also interested in contacts into northern VK4.

Waiting for some digital action on MS...
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I am just in the process of re-erecting my antennas. The should be completed next week. I have a 5 el yagi on 6m (100w) and an 8 el on 2m (50w). I have worked from Townsville into Sydney on 2m SSB via MS during one of the big showers a few years ago. I am set up for JT65 but not WSJT/FSK441 as yet - I am sure I can do it with a bit of help.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3AMZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AMZ »

HI Crew

Well we are always keen to look further a field. It would be nice to get more stations active on this mode.

Wayne....If you are JT65 capable then you are FSK441 capable, both modes are a subset of the same application (WSJT).
Success rate for Meteor scatter is fluky, success can be enhanced by taking advantage of the predicted Meteor showers that appear
through the year. Early May is the time of the Eta Aquarids, this is a very active shower and has produced many two way contacts with very modest stations.

Look forward to the challenge of working on 2mx Meteor scatter.

73's
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

Well I'm ready to turn my yagi to the north and try again for the northern VK4 stations. We were only just starting to have some success with it last time when it suddenly stopped. If we can get 3 or 4 north vk4's going then it might spread the interest for others to have a go. It might be a bit out of range for the VK3's & VK5's but any VK2 North of Sydney should have a good chance of doing it but you never know if you don't give it a go.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Great to hear Wayne (VK4WDM)
Sounds like you will have everything you need except the software. FSK441 is part of the WSJT package, I assume you must be running HF-JT65 for your current system?

WSJT is a free and easy download and install. Just google K1JT website. Latest version is Ver 9.5
Worth getting the user guide and supplement for 9.5 while you are there.

Let us know when you are ready an we will give it a run with you.

Regards
Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4BLK
Forum Novice

Post by VK4BLK »

What frequencies for MS on 6 and 2

Ray vk4blk
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

What frequencies for MS on 6 and 2
Hi Ray.
Last time we worked the north VK4's we used 144.330 so we don't interfere with those working South on144.230 and I'm only guessing on 6M it will be 50.330 so there is no interference with the South working on 50.230.
We will send first period and you send 2nd period.
You are only 500Kms north of us so you might be more on troppo than M/S for us here but still worth giving it a go. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi All,
Contacts from VK3, vk5 and VK1 will be quite possible into rockhampton (1750km from Melb) and Townsville (2080km from Melb).
We had contacts from VK9NA via MS to VK4JMC (1700km) and VK2EMA (2050km).
So I for one will be lining up to try. Just let us know the time and day!!

Michael VK3KH
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

G'day All,

I'd love to give it a try on either 6m or 2m.

I've got WSJT9 installed although I've never used it, so yet to configure tx keying etc.

Is there a run down on 'how to MS' as in normal operating procedures for newies? The last thing I want to do is generate a heap of QRM for other stations :shock:
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Good to see so much interest already

If you are up north and ready to try some MS I will be happy to arrange some skeds from here.

Optimum times are usually considered to be around (or just before) dawn even though there are meteors at all hours of the day and night.

I will suggest we use 144.330 MHz initially, a secondary MS frequency, and if possible use the logger for liaison so we can advise through the first few contacts with WSJT settings and questions etc.

Same applies to 6m for anyone who want to give this a try although there is often "direct" (Tropo or Es) propagation on 6m over these distances at this time of year.

Kevin VK4UH Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4XA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4XA »

With the exception of 4 or 5 local area amateurs, VHF / UHF non FM operation in FNQ is a bust guy's, so good luck with your WSJT experiments down south.

The only guy's up here that are regularly on VHF & up SSB or CW here are VK4's DMC, ZDP, APN, BKS, AFC & a couple of others and of those, Dave VK4ZDP is the most active (and is probably the best equipped for VHF and up) I believe.
Dave (VK4ZDP) has serious power output on all bands to 23cm and is considering going higher in frequency soon I am told.
However, after all that information, only two of those operators mentioned (VK4APN, & VK4BKS) above is interested in digital modes, the others seem to have no interest at all.
Jeff Cochrane
VK4XA
East Innisfail, Queensland
VK4BEG

Post by VK4BEG »

After reading the last post I must say I am disappointed in the comments. I have been active on VHF/UHF for many years. And find that some of the comments about NQ operators are not true.