I wonder what ACMA plans with 56-70MHz?

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: I wonder what ACMA plans with 56-70MHz?

Post by VK3ZAZ »

The technical parameters that apply to VHF NAS stations are:
a.a maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP) of 83 watts;
b.an emission bandwidth of 16 kHz (in the past, more than 16 kHz was permitted but new services will only be allowed a maximum of 16 kHz); and
c.Radiocommunications Standard (Analogue Speech (Angle Modulated) Equipment) No. 1 of 1995.

The band segments employed for VHF NAS are:
70.00000 to 70.24375 MHz and 77.29375 to 77.49375 MHz (segments A and G of the VHF Mid Band Frequency Band Plan [70 to 87.5 MHz])

I wonder if the petitioning for a slice of 70 megs took this into account, don't see us getting parity with Europe.
VK4TS wrote:I wonder how long this post degenerates into a spat attack on everyone who asks any questions..

Seriously ? There are several suitors for the old 6M band and don't believe for one minute that this spectrum space won't have Commercial interests all over it

That's why Roger was voted in but Norfolk Junket seems like an ashtry on a motor bike on 6M issues. :popcorn:
Tread your own path :om:
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

I had to look it up, never having been to the UK, or used 4m, but wikipeadia tells me that the UK 4m band is not that huge.

"In practice this ranges from 70 MHz to 70.5 MHz in the United Kingdom, with other countries generally having a smaller allocation within this window"

You would think that Aussie hams could co-habit on this band with the existing users (if any) on a secondary basis.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

70 Mhz has been used as an FM RC aircraft frequency since the '60's..even the Jindivicks used 70Mhz...still is an RC A/c freq.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

From 70.050 to 70.150 Australia wide there are only 2 allocations and they are both in North Queensland.

Both parties were asked by me whether the would move and they confirmed in writing that they would move. This detail was forwarded to the WIA Board several months ago.

This would allow the creation of a 100 KHz wide band with 10 KHz guard bands at either end.

Of interest there currently are few users in the segment 1.9~2 MHz owing to the cessation of the Loran and other programmes. This detail was also forwarded to the board.

As yet I have received no feed back as to the status quo despite several requests.

You can lead a horse to water but drinking is a different matter.
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

VK4TS wrote: As yet I have received no feed back as to the status quo despite several requests.
That would be because they are all overseas.......perhaps when they get back from holiday....... :thumbdown:
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

The Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan is reviewed and updated by the ACMA in response to the Final Acts of the ITU World Radiocommunication Conferences. The latest was held during November 2015.

The current Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan came into effect in January 2013.

The ACMA undertakes a public consultation process in reviewing the Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan.

In its submission on Licence Conditions to the ACMA in April, the WIA proposed that: "the licence conditions be addressed in two stages: priority changes first (as above), with proposed changes to frequency bands later, in line with the consultation process for the upcoming review of the Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan."

See: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

In discussions with the ACMA during 2015, it was clear that this was the better path to follow as ad hoc changes to the Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan were not in the ACMA's work plan.

Posted in the interests of clarification.

Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan:
http://www.acma.gov.au/theacma/australi ... nning-acma
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

So let me paraphrase this Sir Humphrey.

You did nothing.

An answer so reminiscent of the old series

" It's clear that the Committee has agreed that your new policy is really an excellent plan.

But in view of some of the doubts being expressed, may I propose that I recall that after careful consideration, the considered view of the Committee was that, while they considered that the proposal met with broad approval in principle, that some of the principles were sufficiently fundamental in principle, and some of the considerations so complex and finely balanced in practice that in principle it was proposed that the sensible and prudent practice would be to submit the proposal for more detailed consideration, laying stress on the essential continuity of the new proposal with existing principles, the principle of the principal arguments which the proposal proposes and propounds for their approval. In principle."
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I understand that ACMA have certain priorities at the moment and looking at a potential amateur band at 70MHz isn't one of them, however I don't see what harm would come if the WIA (a) pointed out to the ACMA its support for a small (100kHz) allocation, (b) attached the evidence that the two users were prepared to vacate the spectrum, and (c) requested that the ACMA embargo this spectrum from further assignment until such time as the matter can be considered.

See Roger... you don't need to rock the boat at ACMA and still demonstrate that you are actually doing something for amateurs.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH