VK Repeater Map

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK2AAV

VK Repeater Map

Post by VK2AAV »

Hello All,

I have made layer for Google Maps that shows the locations and gives detail of Australian amateur repeaters. It's at http://telecnatron.com/vk-repeater-map/index.html
Screen shot of the repeater map.
Screen shot of the repeater map.
The data is from the WIA repeater list, and the ACMA licence and site lookup so there are a few errors and omissions.

I am making a list or corrections that I will send to the WIA in a week or two so they can update their database. Please let me know if there is anything I should add, or even better, contact the WIA directly - they list a contact email of tac@wia.org.au on their repeater data page at http://www.wia.org.au/members/repeaters/data/

Anyway, hopefully people will find this a useful aid for quickly finding locations and details of their local repeaters. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Steve
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Re: VK Repeater Map

Post by VK7HH »

Hi Steve,
Good work. I do notice however with Tassie that you have only 2M repeaters listed.

Are you planning on adding 70cm at some point soon?

Hayden
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2AAV wrote: Please let me know what you think.
A nice job Steve.

You are tending to replicate something that has existed for several years now on VK Logger though. :wink:
(Noting you joined the forum only yesterday, avoid the rookie mistake of confusing "VK Logger" with this, the "VK Logger Forum" - two separate resources)

One key point of difference is the VK Logger databases automatically update an entry as "Active" whenever a members spot a repeater on the Logger.
Or when somebody manually updates the record with more comprehensive information.

An open community database does not rely on a single person (and/or their lack of available time) to keep information fresh and up to date.
This task is spread amongst the community, and is available 24/7.
It's as fresh as can be.

In contrast to ye old days when repeater lists etc were only published annually in a dead tree callbook.
At least the WIA now makes these lists available periodically as PDFs.

For those not aware:
On the Logger's "Mapping" page, amongst many things, you can plot the repeater location, as well as investigate the path terrain profile to/from it to any other point on the map.
(Bearing in mind the degree of paranoia by custodians in revealing the actual location.)

The Logger's "Repeater" page can reveal a lot more detail for specific entries than the mapping page, and offers a map to indicate where it is, the distance to/from you, and bearing.

Unfortunately, people tend to take repeaters for granted, and assume they'll always be there.
And there is an "anti-repeater" element out there too, who incorrectly associate repeaters being a CB thing.
In contrast, travelers and mobile stations always appreciate repeater updates.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2AAV

Post by VK2AAV »

VK7HA wrote:Hi Steve,
Good work. I do notice however with Tassie that you have only 2M repeaters listed.

Are you planning on adding 70cm at some point soon?

Hayden
Hello Hayden,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the repeaters in other bands are there but you need to select the band to be viewed using the radio buttons at the bottom- perhaps I need to make them more obvious.

I decided to default to 2m repeaters as, to my eye, 'all' appears to be too cluttered. Maybe I need to change this.

Cheers,
Steve
VK2AAV

Post by VK2AAV »

Okay, thanks for drawing my attention to the VK Logger repeater map - I was unaware that it existed.

I agree with you comments regarding the community driven updating giving more reliable data and commend you on service you provide. However, I would still like to help the WIA update their repeater data, so I would welcome reports of error/omissions if that is acceptable.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Steve
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

Sorry Steve,
I didn't see the radio buttons :shock: . Good work.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK2AAV wrote:Okay, thanks for drawing my attention to the VK Logger repeater map - I was unaware that it existed.

I agree with you comments regarding the community driven updating giving more reliable data and commend you on service you provide. However, I would still like to help the WIA update their repeater data, so I would welcome reports of error/omissions if that is acceptable.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I think your help will be much appreciated. I plead guilty to the fact that I haven't had time to update this data as I have been submitting licenses to ACMA... this is a task that I'm sure assistance would be welcomed for.

And I don't submit my data to Adam so the data that the office holds (they get a copy of my paperwork) is going to be more current than available via this forum...

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
(WIA Repeater & Beacon Co-ordinator in my spare time...)
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2AAH wrote:And I don't submit my data to Adam so the data that the office holds (they get a copy of my paperwork) is going to be more current than available via this forum...
Richard, as one of two members of the WIA "Repeaters, Beacons & Frequency CoordinationSub-committee", is this an example of the closed shop mentality, that the WIA is often accused of?
I'm sure many of us are keen to learn more.

However, if you not sharing any new information outside of the WIA bubble gives you some pleasure and satisfaction, then nobody would want to rob you of that.

And incidentally, there have been 50 updates to the existing records in the VK Logger Beacon database and 14 updates to the VK Logger Repeater database in the last 7 days.
Anybody can verify this claim by going to the relevant pages, entering nothing into the callsign field (an all-encompassing wildcard) > select Any Band > sort on Last Updated > Descending > Submit.

Gotta love this interwebby thing and open community-driven databases, data that can be updated 24/7.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Adam,

Nice twisting of my words Adam...

The WIA has access to my licensing data at the same time it is submitted to ACMA... you can't get more "real time" than that. That was the point I was making and that is a basic advantage that the WIA, as the recognised body representing Australian amateurs has.

It is a committee of 2, Peter Mill carrying out beacons and 10, 6 and 23cm up, while I handle 2m and 70cm repeaters. It isn't something that can be done by a larger group, someone needs to properly co-ordinate this role- it isn't a policy making role, purely a role requiring someone that knows the process and ACMA well (and I'm pretty sure after 30 years doing that I'm pretty well qualified...). I'm also pretty sure that people are generally pretty happy with the way it is now working...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Gents,

Looking at the ACMA database or the WIA repeater and beacon listings gives you an idea of what devices are out there but it doesn't always tell you the true status of the devices.

Looking at the logger repeater and beacon database gives you an idea that those devices have been heard and are active but it doesn't alway show you all the devices that are out there.

Both have excellent qualities and both have some limitations but I think they complement each other.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour