Wouxun KG-UV950P QUADBAND

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK5JTM

Wouxun KG-UV950P QUADBAND

Post by VK5JTM »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone out there bought the new Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Mobile and given it a good
test run or evaluation. I am looking at getting a Quad Band Mobile in the near future and I am considering one of these.

Thanks,
VK5JTM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Wouxun KG-UV950P QUADBAND

Post by VK4GHZ »

A relatively new video on YouTube.
I believe these are about to, or have just started, shipping in the USA, so some reports should start coming out soonish.

Somebody needs to slip some Methylenedioxypyrovalerone into this guy's coffee, before he does another video. :wink:
It's real sloooooooooooooooooooooow.

Not much in this one:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

It only does FM... F2D (Data) and F3E (Voice)... according to this seller's datasheet...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wouxun-KG-UV ... 485c8b5d6c.
Bruce VK2EM
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

TX: 26-29MHz, 50-53MHz,136-174MHz, 400-480MHz
RX: 26-29MHz, 50-53MHz, 65-108MHz, 108-180MHz, 320-349MHz, 40-480MHz, 700-987MHz

The listing detail shows 50 to 53.995 for 6M so it should cover the repeaters there with the 1MHz split.

The single antenna port doesn't enthuse me unless you have a quad band antenna for 10M to 70cm :(

I like the idea of the "Stun and Kill Function" BUT does it only work on other cars (& not your own) ?
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK5JTM wrote:Hi Folks,

Has anyone out there bought the new Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Mobile and given it a good
test run or evaluation. I am looking at getting a Quad Band Mobile in the near future and I am considering one of these.

Thanks,
VK5JTM
There was some discussion of earlier models in another thread.

I wrote an article about repair of a driver FET probably destroyed by heat and factory recommended mod to reduce the chance of that.

Several people have emailed me about that article, it is not an uncommon problem.

Mark, VK5QI, was one of those correspondents, he is battling with an early model KG-920x and mailed me a very telling thermograph.
N6h9w5K.jpg
N6h9w5K.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
The driver RD07 in this thermograph from Mark is at 150C, and the predriver just below it looks near as high.

My own experience and those related to me question the integrity of the design, the half baked revisions, the lack of adequate service documentation, and Wouxun's timely support.

Owen
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK1OD wrote:Mark, VK5QI, was one of those correspondents, he is battling with an early model KG-920x and mailed me a very telling thermograph.
Owen, that is a very revealing and disturbing image.

I must admit, I'm always amused when people tend to secret-squirrel-email things between one another, and choose not to share things like this with a wider audience.
So thank you for sharing it.

It would certainly be worthy of reposting that image in the existing 920 topic.
(Unfortunately, the forum does not allow cross posting attachments, and they only work within the post they were uploaded into.)
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4GHZ wrote:
VK1OD wrote:Mark, VK5QI, was one of those correspondents, he is battling with an early model KG-920x and mailed me a very telling thermograph.
Owen, that is a very revealing and disturbing image.

I must admit, I'm always amused when people tend to secret-squirrel-email things between one another, and choose not to share things like this with a wider audience.
So thank you for sharing it.

It would certainly be worthy of reposting that image in the existing 920 topic.
(Unfortunately, the forum does not allow cross posting attachments, and they only work within the post they were uploaded into.)
Mark and others responded to my own article on vk1od.net, I have no problems with that, in fact I invite feedback. The image came to me as part of a discussion with Mark about repair of his radio, again, that is fine IMHO.

When asking permission of Mark to publish his pic, I sought also to put it in my article associated with the pic of a PCB from an early 920P, and I may do that.

The ONE bit of information that NEEDS to be shared here is the service manual, and Wouxun seems determined to keep that confidential. Clearly, for people who exected a low chance of failure, and then that they would do their own maintenance, things have not gone well. Something for would be buyers of the '950P, think through whether you should buy with Australian warranty, how good the supplier and their repair agent is, and what you will do after warranty.

An interesting provision of the Australian Consumer Law is that you might be entitled to more warranty than the 1 year often offered in the case where the expected service life of the item is substantially longer than 1 year (though warranty cover later in service life might be pro-rated). It is my understanding that this implied warranty is attached to the purchase contract (with an Australian business) and is not transferable to a new owner so this might not benefit a buyer of equipment from an entity that is not an Australian business.

Owen
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK1OD wrote:
VK5JTM wrote:Hi Folks,

Thanks,
VK5JTM
There was some discussion of earlier models in another thread.

I wrote an article about repair of a driver FET probably destroyed by heat and factory recommended mod to reduce the chance of that.

Several people have emailed me about that article, it is not an uncommon problem.

Mark, VK5QI, was one of those correspondents, he is battling with an early model KG-920x and mailed me a very telling thermograph.
N6h9w5K.jpg
The driver RD07 in this thermograph from Mark is at 150C, and the predriver just below it looks near as high.

My own experience and those related to me question the integrity of the design, the half baked revisions, the lack of adequate service documentation, and Wouxun's timely support.

Owen
so your suggesting what ? , the heat image is not the model in question , do you have a similar image from the 950 supporting your assertion on the earlier model being somehow related to the 950 or are you guessing again ?
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4TI wrote:so your suggesting what ? , the heat image is not the model in question , do you have a similar image from the 950 supporting your assertion on the earlier model being somehow related to the 950 or are you guessing again ?
I have reported in two threads and an article on my web site facts about the KG-UV920x in particular failures and difficulties in repair that I experienced in repairing a friend's radio, clearly stated, though some of it in a thread on the KG-UV950P because some people might think there is information there that migth be relevant more generally, and design and support issues experienced with the KG-UV920x might well occur with the KG-UV950P.

The Thermograph is clearly identified as relating to a KG-UV920x, there is no misrepresentation, your 'revelation' is nothing that wasn't clearly stated.

Simply put, people who thought the problems many have documented in the KG-UV920R were all fixed in the KG-UV920P were wrong. Not everyone will recognise the risk that some other Wouxun products might share some issues. I don't know if the problems known to exist in the KG-UV920P and Wouxun support fo it are inherited by the KG-UV950P, time will tell.

Do you have any relevant experience or factual information about the 950P or any other Wouxun products to add to the discussion.

I am sure that many of us await meaningful reviews of the KG-UV950P. They are on eBay now for a little over $400 + around $30 shipping.
VK4TI wrote:... or are you guessing again ?
So what else was I guessing about, or is that just a provocative throw away fallacious statement?

Owen
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK1OD wrote:
VK4TI wrote:so your suggesting what ? , the heat image is not the model in question , do you have a similar image from the 950 supporting your assertion on the earlier model being somehow related to the 950 or are you guessing again ?
I have reported in two threads and an article on my web site facts about the KG-UV920x in particular failures and difficulties in repair that I experienced in repairing a friend's radio, clearly stated, though some of it in a thread on the KG-UV950P because some people might think there is information there that migth be relevant more generally, and design and support issues experienced with the KG-UV920x might well occur with the KG-UV950P.

The Thermograph is clearly identified as relating to a KG-UV920x, there is no misrepresentation, your 'revelation' is nothing that wasn't clearly stated.

Simply put, people who thought the problems many have documented in the KG-UV920R were all fixed in the KG-UV920P were wrong. Not everyone will recognise the risk that some other Wouxun products might share some issues. I don't know if the problems known to exist in the KG-UV920P and Wouxun support fo it are inherited by the KG-UV950P, time will tell.

Do you have any relevant experience or factual information about the 950P or any other Wouxun products to add to the discussion.

I am sure that many of us await meaningful reviews of the KG-UV950P. They are on eBay now for a little over $400 + around $30 shipping.
VK4TI wrote:... or are you guessing again ?
So what else was I guessing about, or is that just a provocative throw away fallacious statement?

Owen
The 950 @ $ 449.00 Au dealer on the bench it seems good value , it passes the touch test and exceeds factory specification on the bench , on 6m works fine for a basic radio and it now has a very happy owner . From the brief examination and quick on air test acquitted it's self well , if my DX70th breaks I might consider one , oh and I was mostly being rhetorical .(whoosh)