70cm Patch Array

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2FAK

70cm Patch Array

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

I was having a read of a site and WIA (older articles) yesterday and was interested in the Patch Antenna Array...

Beside maybe using them as a feed for larger dishes I think I have read before, has anyone used the Patch as a standalone antenna.....I know VK6YSF has, as it was his site I was reading with interest..

I just have this liking for low profile antenna, yagi's seem to be getting longer and longer these days...making them a bugger to deal with...

John
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: 70cm Patch Array

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

I've got three of them for 3.4GHz, 5.7GHz and 10GHz.
The picture shows one of my 10GHz transverters with the patch antenna as one side of the box.
10GHz Transverter
10GHz Transverter
A patch antenna for 70cm with any sort of gain would be rather large :shock:
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2FAK

Re: 70cm Patch Array

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

Thanks for the reply Iain, yeah I knew they we being used for the higher frequencies but did not know to much about them.

The 70cm version is only about ~1m square...for a gain of 16dbic which is not to bad ..and fairly simple in constuction....

I would be intested in the constuction details of your Patch antenna, basically materials and such..and was it a matter of cut to size and it worked...or some experimentation was involved..

I also wonder, did you ever try putting an parasitic element on top to get a little more gain....this seems to be able to be done...

John