Nally Slab-Mount information.

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK3BJM

Nally Slab-Mount information.

Post by VK3BJM »

G'day all.

I'm looking for some specifics regarding the Slab-Mount Nally 2-stage tilt-over tower; or, at least, what others have done... So far my email to Nally direct has not been responded to.

1) The size/type of the tie-down bolts, that are concreted into the slab and which the flange mounts onto;

2) The concrete is specified as needing to be 25 mpa (forgive me if I've missed capitalising the units - I've seen various versions...) - but I've not seen anywhere a specification for the "slump" of the concrete.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK8MS
Forum Novice

Re: Nally Slab-Mount information.

Post by VK8MS »

Hi Barry,
Depends which variation of tower you have as there is four classifications, for example if you have Region B the Slab will be 2200 x 2200 x 300 (Minimum) deep with reo at top and bottom 50mm below and above footing.
the Slab / rag Bolts must be M20 - 250mm into Slab, concrete must be no less than 25 MPA and your soil must meet 100Kpa if not you will need to deepen footing bolts etc.

I use different size due to my Location 3 x 3 mts x 500 and sometimes even us a complete rag bolt cage 1400 deep (see pic) same as used for light poles and towers and the recomended slab specs. on top.

As for the company who manufactures these Towers I can understand why they havent got back to you as there are so many older varaitions of the current version that they would not know the current condition of until inspection and with a fee (all Darwings & Computations remain property of Manufacturers unless you recive written approval to duplicate) I'm sure they would be quite happy to supply computations if your tower meets the current specifications.

Please understand the above is to be used as only a reference please consult manufacturer or a structural engineer before using any above information.

Good luck with it, I will post some pictures of the current version I'm installing to site soon.

Regards,
Mark Sellers - VK8MS
0417 270111.
Attachments
rag-bolts-for-street-lights.jpg
Mark Sellers - VK8MS
0417 270111
PH57kp - Darwin N.T.
IRLP 6343
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Thanks Mark.

True, I should have been more specific on my specifics... Yes, Region B is the classification that I'm looking at/requiring info for - though the information I do have from Nally states 2400 x 2400 x 300, etc etc.

So good on the bolt size being M20 for that classification - that's a start.

Hansons (our local concrete supplier) has asked about the "slump" specification, so while we're good with 25 MPa for the strength, I am curious as to what the recommended specification for this is. Unless this considered a personal preference for the workability of the concrete?

Barry
VK3BJM
Last edited by VK3BJM on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Just arrived home, and delighted to see two emails from the folks at Nally; the first a simple dot-point reply to the two questions, and the second a pdf of the concrete specifications.

1) Confirmation that the tie-down bolts are M20. (I've been advised by one of the chaps at Keables http://www.keables.com.au/, in Melbourne, that the bolts/nuts should be "Schedule 8"...)

2) The specified slump is 80 mm. (Aggregate size is 20 mm - I seem to recall this from somewhere, which is why I didn't ask about that; but thought I'd mention it.)

I now have a nice floaty feeling, which I put down to having been enlightened...

Barry
VK3BJM