Google Earth KML's for 2 mx and 70 cm repeaters.

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK1AS

Google Earth KML's for 2 mx and 70 cm repeaters.

Post by VK1AS »

I made some KML files that show the locations on google earth of all currently licensed 2 mx and 70 cm amateur repeaters and beacons. They are at:

files updated: see post later in thread

Because of datum discrepancies they're not spot on, but pretty close. Maybe someone will find them useful.

Cheers,

Andrew VK1AS
Last edited by VK1AS on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Re: Google Earth KML's for 2 mx and 70 cm repeaters.

Post by VK2HRX »

Andrew,

Exellent idea. Out of interest where did you get the base data from? The ACMA database or a secondary source such as the WIA Repater list?

I'm not sure if it is possible but having the tone come up in the map as well as frequency would make it even better.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK1AS

Post by VK1AS »

The info came from the ACMA database. That database remains silent on tones so some excel jiggery pokery should be able to add the tone. Challenge accepted! :D

Cheers,

Andrew.
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

VK1AS wrote:I made some KML files that show the locations on google earth of all currently licensed 2 mx and 70 cm amateur repeaters and beacons. They are at:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4HLGS8 ... sp=sharing
and
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4HLGS8 ... sp=sharing

Because of datum discrepancies they're not spot on, but pretty close. Maybe someone will find them useful.

Cheers,

Andrew VK1AS
Excellent work.

The New Zeland version (with selectable filters for repeaters, beacons etc.) can be found here thanks to a lot of hard work by a local Ham:

http://vhf.org.nz/maps

And for any Python fans out there, the code can be downlaoded at http://git.wallace.gen.nz/?p=nzrepeaters.git

(The data is automatically extracted from the NZ SMART database daily, so it is effectivly up to date)

Enjoy!
Wayne
VK1AS

Post by VK1AS »

The NZ arrangement looks great. Anything like that is well beyond what I can do.

Here's updates that include tone information from the WIA repeater list. There are some oddities where there's repeaters/beacons that are not on the WIA list but are on the ACMA database.

(links removed - see later post for links to updated kml's)

Cheers,

Andrew.
Last edited by VK1AS on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK1AS wrote:There are some oddities where there's repeaters/beacons that are not on the WIA list but are on the ACMA database.
Sounds like there are some slackers that aren't keeping the WIA up to date with their repeater's operational status.
VK1AS

Post by VK1AS »

There's at least one repeater on the WIA list that's not currently licensed also....
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

might be an idea to give them a quiet heads-up in case they've let their licence lapse by accident.. or perhaps it's not operational any more and they didn't notify the WIA...

either way I doubt they're pirates :P
VK2EAR

Post by VK2EAR »

Sorry to rain on your parade but there is a lot of inaccurices present:

VK2RTS listed as 147.425 but is in fact 147.325... i live less than 500m from this repeater & know it is on .325 for sure...

The following all listed as repeaters:

VK2RET 144.925
VK2RET 144.925
VK2RCC 144.825
VK2RMC 145.175
VK2RCV 144.900
VK2RDY 440.150
VK2RRR 442.175
VK2RAG 430.050

Michael
VK2EAR

Post by VK2EAR »

Looking a bit further in the case of VK2RTS it appears to be picking up 147.425 from the ACMA database but it is not an active repeater but in fact a link http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assig ... E_ID=13071

The others in the 144.xxx & 430.xxx maybe alos are links on the sites listed in ACMA?

Michael
VK1AS

Post by VK1AS »

Yeah it looks like the ACMA database does not identify links specifically - there's just repeaters or beacons as the type. It should be possible to filter out the links by frequency as per the WIA band plans. It seems pretty clear to me where the 70 cm links are but not on 2 mx. Are there many 2 mx links???? Maybe thay are the ones with horizontal polarisation?

Andrew.
VK1AS

Post by VK1AS »

OK, some thoughts on how to better filter stuff.

On 2 metres, beacons should be within 144.4 to 144.6 MHz. Any polarisation.

Analogue repeater outputs should be within 146.625 to 147.375 MHz. The emission designator should be F3E for analogue, so I'm inclined to delete any others. Anything with other than vertical polarisation may be a link, so delete those?

On 70 cm the band plan for links seems clearer, so filter as per the band plan and possibly emission designator.

Any other thoughts?

Andrew.
VK2EAR

Post by VK2EAR »

I'll see if I can have a good look when I get home tonight & over the weekend... depending on bushfires as we are expecting a wild one this weekend!

Michael