Importing an EZ-Hang?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Importing an EZ-Hang?

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi all,

Has anyone imported one of these? I'm wondering if they will be classed as a slingshot or whether the design of it would be enough for it not to be a prohibited import... I'm seriously thinking of buying one but don't want to upset the Customs guys...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4WDM

Re: Importing an EZ-Hang?

Post by VK4WDM »

Go overseas and bring one back - it would be good fun to see you in an episode of "Border Protection." :lol:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2AAH wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone imported one of these? I'm wondering if they will be classed as a slingshot or whether the design of it would be enough for it not to be a prohibited import... I'm seriously thinking of buying one but don't want to upset the Customs guys...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
in most weekend markets you can buy a sling shot for under $10.00
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

VK2AAH wrote:Hi all,

I imported one some years back, wondering how I'd go. I recall it came boxed or bagged with the EZ-Hang title, and paperwork 4 x A4-ish sized sheets that made it clear what it was, what it was used for and how to use it, including an owner's manual for the fishing reel. One on it's own with no paperwork might well be interpreted as a slingshot with an odd attachment for a nefarious purpose.

I seem to recall the box had been opened and resealed, and carried the Inspected by Customs sticker. Things may have changed now though - check the Customs site for prohibited and restricted weapons importation.

On a related matter, I recall here in VK3 the firearms (?) regs some years back specifically said one wasn't a prohibited weapon if owned by radio amateurs for the purpose of erecting antennas. I recall reading about it in AR in the 80's, and it was possibly something Michael Owen had negotiated at the time. Someone was looking into it a year or so ago, because the exemption no longer appears in the current reg.
Damien VK3RX
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks Damian!

Slingshots are listed as prohibited imports and I know of nothing that permits amateurs an exemption from that. I would find that hard to believe... I'll have a look at the packaging of the EZ-Hang when I duck into HRO tomorrow- thanks, I will probably take the punt...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Unlike lasers (another prohibited 'weapon') that one can obtain dispensation for if you're an amateur astronomer and use it for telescope aiming or education and are a paid up member of an astronomical society, AFAIK there is no similar scheme to allow radio hams to use catapults or slingshots, another 'prohibited weapon' in NSW's wisdom.

The fact that the thing stores potential energy and discharges a projectile, irrespective of what it is used for, will mean it is banned. There is nothing to stop you putting a rock (another NSW no-no if found carrying one within 10m of a road = jail time, but that's another story) in the sling and firing it at people, property, or animals.

I would have thought a ball or weight on a string, hand flung would be safer - at least in the eyes of the law, not common sense.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks Rob, and I agree that it is a case of the nanny state gone mad...

When I got to HRO I found it was a bit bulkier than I thought so I had to defer buying one... like alot of travelers my bags are already bulging at the seams. I bought some smaller items instead... always need a spare balun & some power connectors- and they don't take up much space in my bag.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4KL
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4KL »

Just bought a sling shot from a sports store but was sold to me as a "Burley Hurler"

Adrian
Adrian
VK4KL
QG53xd
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Hi Richard and all contributers

I ordered an Ezy-Hang from the company in USA.

The custom declaration indicated an antenna installation device.

Customs took no interest even though it would almost certainly have been x-rayed.

Just arrived by post in a few weeks.

It works well - but not as well as the Arborist's Slingshot that they use to throw captive lines over tree branches. These are Australian made and are awesome! They make the hair on my arm stand on end!

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks Kevin! I just took a look at those and you are right, it looks like a better option & it is available locally.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

If you want a high power "EZ-Hang", have a look here...

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=24113d89dfd8

BUT don't if you don't like seeing blood!!!
Bruce VK2EM
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

This is the letter I got (along with a formal seizure notice) when I tried to import one. It was in a consignment with a few other antenna related items from a amateur radio shop in the USA. I think it was about $7 so I didn't bother trying to argue/justify the importation/reverse the seizure etc.

Good luck to those who got their's delivered.

Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Far as I am aware the arm brace makes it illegal , I paid $12.00 for mine at the local markets Sumday morning , bought a large openline reel at bcf with a 1)Z sinker with great success , less than $20.00 and I assume quite ok to use . Good video though and if you look in Santas stocking there might be one of those kiddies rubber band bows which are also effective
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Slingshots, an alternative to EZ-Hang

Post by VK4GHZ »

Very frustrating when posters do not include links to what they are referring to.
Hint hint.

Providing it does not have the arm brace, basic "slingshots" are NOT illegal to purchase in some states, as per this graphic:

Source: http://www.outdoorswarehouse.com.au/cat ... 6-Pellets/

And from the same on-line vendor (based on the Gold Coast):

Having a mini-quadcopter stuck about 45 feet up in a tree yesterday :oops: reminded me to get my slingshot working again, after the rubber perished many years ago.
(The quad was knocked out of the tree by a 3 section 21' telescopic mast with a tilt-base made for a ham radio trip to Broome in 2002, and gaffer taping two extendable pool cleaner poles to that, along with other ally poles - quite a circus with me and a mate trying to knock it out of the branch - which we eventually did) :lol:
VK4TI wrote:Far as I am aware the arm brace makes it illegal
Correct!
The Queensland weapons Act specifically mentions the brace:
Slingshot definition
Slingshot definition
If you're in Brisbane, bricks 'n mortar stores stock them:
http://enoggeracamping.com.au/products? ... ory_id=157
http://www.acqm.com.au/CatalogueRetriev ... ectType=27

Buying within Australia and shipping to a qualifying address can save potential dramas with Customs where a black mark is recorded against you.
:mrgreen:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/