Smart meter QRM

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK1VMA

Smart meter QRM

Post by VK1VMA »

There's some fairly strong QRM from about 100MHz to 155MHz at my QTH that makes operation on 2 metres (other than on repeaters) largely impossible. I'm pretty sure the cause is ActewAGL's iCredit 400 smart meter.

It's a "bursty" sort of interference, noise is always present but it peaks every five seconds or so with a one second burst of what sounds like some sort of digital mode.

I've been walking around with my FT-817 in an attempt to locate the source of the interference. The 817's S-meter is at S9+ while I stand at the front door next to the meter box, but barely registers S1 at the side and rear fences, including directly under the power line that traverse the property along the back fenceline, suggesting that the source of interference is not one of my neighbours, nor is it anything on the pole out the back. The strength drops to about S3 at the kerb, but it's generally enough to break squelch on the Motorola VHF mobile radio in my vehicle as soon as I hit the driveway.

There are two electricity meters at my QTH; the aforementioned iCredit 400 for the main part of the house that was in place when I moved in, and a newer iCredit 500 meter that was installed about six months ago, to replace an old electromechanical meter that services the separately rented rear flat.

The flat was unoccupied for about a month after I moved in, and the noise was present during this period, suggesting that it isn't caused by an appliance owned by the flat's occupant. The noise was also present prior to the old electromechanical meter being replaced, suggesting that the primary culprit is not the new meter.

The noise is present at all hours of the day, and turning off all of the circuit breakers into my place has resulted in no change, suggesting it is not associated with any appliances inside the house. There is no solar power installation on this property.

Has anyone else experienced similar QRM problems associated with smart meters (especially one of these models), and in particular have you had much luck in having the issues resolved with your electricity supplier?

Also, what's the best evidence I can present to ActewAGL (or ACMA if ActewAGL are of no help) to get the problem fixed?
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Smart meter QRM

Post by VK3RX »

If any of your neighbours have the same model, maybe check theirs with your 817 to see if it is a common problem, or just isolated to yours.

If it is the latter, you'd have a case to prove your meter is faulty and not just a design fault.
Damien VK3RX
VK1VMA

Post by VK1VMA »

I'll ask around and see what turns up.

I went for a walk around the block with the 817 this afternoon; the band was quiet in the street everywhere except in front of my place, so at the moment I suspect I've got a dud meter.
VK3BGS
Forum Novice

Post by VK3BGS »

You have almost determined that the interference in your house.
I also suspected a smart meter here too, but it turned to be the Optus cable CAU box out the front of my house and yes it was close to the smart meter too.
Is it possible that you might have led lighting or some charger or solar inverter at your place.
My experience is you have to look outside the square and not blame the obvious smart meter.
I have not been a proponent of smart meters, but well we just have to live with them now that they are here.

denis
VK3BGS