Looking at WSPR and JT65

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2FAK

Looking at WSPR and JT65

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

This always confuses me.....I had both running on 30m this afternoon and for 30min no spots at all on WSPR but JT65 was lighting up my window...calls from all over the place..Italy, US, Canada, NZ, LU etc but again nothing on wspr.
Now there is a power difference between the 2 modes....most use about 25w or so on JT65, but what is the point in using low power on WSPR and then say there is no propagation to a particular country when the fact is.....a little more power and you would find great conditions to everywhere......but face the risk of getting yelled at by others for using more power......

I thought the rule was, don't use more power than you need to make the contact.....this does not seem to apply to WSPR though....the rule there seems to be, if you dont make it,bad luck try another day....the point being ? and what actual information do we get from it ..that 5w did not make the grade but 25w would have.......its all a bit strange.

P.S. just got the first wspr in this little test....it was a HB4 callsign...using 5w took about 40mins or so.

John
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking at WSPR and JT65

Post by VK5BC »

Hi john

Couple of points,

Did you check activity for 30m on WSPRnet,

and are you sure your RX frequency was correct, remember you have to be within a 200Hz bandwidth. I usually run some form of spectrum (DM780) to make sure I'm seeing signals in the 200 Hz bandwidth.

73's Brian
VK5BC
VK2FAK

Re: Looking at WSPR and JT65

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Yeah Brian....on 30m those modes almost overlap...some don't move down like I guess they should.

But the fact I was getting the HB4, and there seemed to be plenty of wspr activity, not here in AU but else where..

i was actually on the WSPR freq when I heard the JT65, so loaded the software and up came the spots..

John