Why do we pay such a high cost of license

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Re: Why do we pay such a high cost of license

Post by VK2HRX »

VK4DU wrote:
VK2HRX wrote:To look at it another way 15,000 amateur licenses @ $72 each = a little over a million dollars a year. Anyone who has better handle on the number of licenses etc feel free to update/correct my math.
$1M would have to be 5 or so full time jobs at ACMA looking after us amateurs.

So as a group do we get our monies worth?

ACMA do not get the whole $72....

How much do they get? And where does the rest go?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

A huge percentage of it is tax, and goes to our illustrious feral government in Canberra.

I can't find my renewal notice which I paid recently, but the license itself is something like $26, and the tax is $47.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I fished out my Licence Renewal Notice (issue date 27/02/2013), which says:
Total Tax: $45.00
Total Charge: $28.00
Total GST: $0.00
AMOUNT DUE: $73.00
To understand why there's a Tax and a Charge, you need to read the Radiocommunications Act and the Tax Act, and then gain an understanding of the interdependencies. "Best wishes" with that. :roll:

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Yep, the $ I pay to ACMA is broken down but I do pay it all to ACMA = Govt.

So do we get our million dollars worth from the Govt ( ACMA + what ever else Authority(s))?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2HRX wrote:Yep, the $ I pay to ACMA is broken down but I do pay it all to ACMA = Govt.

So do we get our million dollars worth from the Govt ( ACMA + what ever else Authority(s))?
Compton,

You do realise that in the scheme of things one million dollars is nothing? It wouldn't even raise a bump on the ACMA budget graph.

It wouldn't even cover the operating costs for 3 or 4 employees.

To an individual is may seem like a lot of money but in any sizable organisation it really is not the much.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Colin,

Yes I do know that.
So do we get our million dollars worth?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

How long is a piece of string?

Honestly this discussion is getting silly... if you dealt with ACMA you would realise that over some decades they have been cut to the bone. We used to have capital city & major town based field staff. Most of those are gone & not even a city the size of Newcastle has an office- the last time I met them at Sugarloaf the field officer had to fly up from down south (though he was a Newcastle born fella). Debating whether you get your money's worth will yield an inevitable NO and then what? So we pay less or pay nothing and get even less or nothing at all. Wake up- AR license holders don't influence ACMA policy more than the proverbial flea on an elephant. Money talks and $1M a year in revenue isn't even a whisper compared to the many millions or even billions generated from media & carriers. Be thankful for what you get & don't p*ss them off... AR survives on the good relations it has with ACMA.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

When the cost of my license fee exceeds the cost of setting up associated radio, antenna and computer equipment, the main parts of the hobby for me, it will be time to complain. In the meantime I continue to enjoy the hobby that I am privileged to be part of. Participating in this wonderful hobby is what I like, not the complaining I hear/read about costs, etc.

If we are unable to enjoy the hobby using our own inventive resources and within our individual means, then it is time to lower our individual expectations or move on and play somewhere else...

What other hobby has more to offer the individual, than amateur radio?
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2AAH wrote:How long is a piece of string?

Honestly this discussion is getting silly... if you dealt with ACMA you would realise that over some decades they have been cut to the bone. We used to have capital city & major town based field staff. Most of those are gone & not even a city the size of Newcastle has an office- the last time I met them at Sugarloaf the field officer had to fly up from down south (though he was a Newcastle born fella). Debating whether you get your money's worth will yield an inevitable NO and then what? So we pay less or pay nothing and get even less or nothing at all. Wake up- AR license holders don't influence ACMA policy more than the proverbial flea on an elephant. Money talks and $1M a year in revenue isn't even a whisper compared to the many millions or even billions generated from media & carriers. Be thankful for what you get & don't p*ss them off... AR survives on the good relations it has with ACMA.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Richard,

I actually do think we get our money's worth, but was interested in the opinions of others. I now understand your very forthright opinion. Does anyone else has a view?
I also believe that the license fee as it currently stands is reasonable.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

To put the licence fee into context for a person on a disability pension, it is 13% of my fortnightly income.

So, while I don't think the fee is expensive in it's self, it is an expense for a person on a pension that needs to be budgeted for.
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

As I recall we were offered a Class Licence for free, but we declined the offer.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Richard,

You're not the first to recirculate this hoary old rumour. But you haven't done your homework :(

An explanation has been posted here before. See: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9720&p=16124&hilit ... nce#p16124

Posted in the interests of circulating the facts :)

Start-a-rumour #2: The government was willing to give amateurs a spectrum licence. Why didn't we get it ?
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2ZRH wrote:...

An explanation has been posted here before. See: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9720&p=16124&hilit ... nce#p16124

Posted in the interests of circulating the facts :)
Hardly!

On what basis do you assert "Under a Class licence, call signs would be a "free for all", for example?

You imply that the provisions of a possible class licence for amateur radio are already known, or that a class licence by its very nature cannot have certain attributes (like prescribing a call sign... but you give other attributes in your reference).

Lets look at one existing Australian class licence, the Aircraft and Aeronautical Mobile Stations class licence. Such stations must use a call sign, and the call sign to be used is prescribed by the class licence.

That demonstrates that a class licence CAN prescribe a call sign (just as our current apparatus licence does), and that your "facts" are wrong. Your other "facts" may also be wrong.

Personally, I could not comment on a proposal for a class licence without seeing a draft set of licence conditions, so I have no opinion on whether an unspecified class licence would be better or worse.

There are a lot of assumptions and personal opinions dressed up as fact in this discussion. I suggest that most of the "facts" aren't facts at all, they mostly cannot be traced to reliable evidence.

Owen
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK1OD wrote: Lets look at one existing Australian class licence, the Aircraft and Aeronautical Mobile Stations class licence. Such stations must use a call sign, and the call sign to be used is prescribed by the class licence.
That demonstrates that a class licence CAN prescribe a call sign (just as our current apparatus licence does), and that your "facts" are wrong. Your other "facts" may also be wrong.
Not quite. I suppose it depends on what you class as a callsign. The ACMA do not issue callsigns for aircraft or the associated ground stations (control towers, etc.). Aircraft have a registration mark which can be used but these stations are allowed to use 'any form of identification that clearly identifies the station'. e.g. Adelaide Approach, Melbourne Centre, QF27, etc. i.e. When using flight numbers the same station (aircraft) can have a different callsign on the next flight.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thank you Iain :)

However, the above three posts are a tangent that does not advance the debate much, if at all :?

No one, let alone Tex VK1TX, has tackled the principal question of defining "high cost" as used by original poster, Tex.

Shall we get back to that ?

VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK5ZD wrote:
VK1OD wrote: Lets look at one existing Australian class licence, the Aircraft and Aeronautical Mobile Stations class licence. Such stations must use a call sign, and the call sign to be used is prescribed by the class licence.
Not quite. I suppose it depends on what you class as a callsign. The ACMA do not issue callsigns for aircraft or the associated ground stations (control towers, etc.). Aircraft have a registration mark which can be used but these stations are allowed to use 'any form of identification that clearly identifies the station'. e.g. Adelaide Approach, Melbourne Centre, QF27, etc. i.e. When using flight numbers the same station (aircraft) can have a different callsign on the next flight.

Iain
I did not state that ACMA issues callsigns, and I have no issue with your statement "The ACMA do not issue callsigns for aircraft or the..." other than it is a distraction.

The USE of callsigns by aeronautical stations IS prescribed, and the form of them IS prescribed "Call signs must be used for all on-air communications including testing. Call signs allocated to Aircraft stations conform with International Telecommunication Union Radio Regulations."

It is my opinion that the same provisions could work for hams, the callsigns issued by ACMA to amateur stations conform to a template that conforms with the Radio Regulations. They could continue to issue them, they could require them in an amateur class licence JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR THE AERONAUTICAL LICENCE.

I am not proposing a class licence, but just pointing out that a lot of the argument from both sides (inluding yours and Roger's) misrepresents personal opinion as fact.

To my mind, if the ACMA wanted to introduce a class licence, they would have legistlation drafters (lawyers) work through the current LCD and categorise existing words as being usable directly in a class licence, requiring some rework but capable of the same effect in principle, or that the effect of the words cannot or should not be incorporated in a class licence, and to identify what changes in administrative arrangements would be necessary. I expect the ACMA would be mindful of the Radio Regulations in any proposed change.

That has not been done as far as I am aware, not even a feasability study that has been publicly released so we just don't know, and most of us would not have the skills or knowledge to do the appraisal.

The use of an Apparatus Licence for ham stations is different to most other uses. Most other users are restricted to type approved equipment and importantly, the licence is tradable... it can be sold with a business. So there are aspects of amateur Apparatus Licences that are unique, and arguably less suitable than an appropriate class licence.

The other irrational thing is the assumption by many that there is a licence fee or there is none when there is another option, a different level of fee. There are many who view a licence fee as an insurance premium to protect against interference. Do you think aeronautical users are unprotected from interference? It doesn't necessarily follow, and there are other ways to pay for interference investigations than rolling it up in higher licence fees dressed up as spectrum tax.

Whether or not there is need for change of licence type, I doubt there will be change because of the inability of the community to work rationally and positively at such a change, being lead by fearmongers representing opinion as fact, fears as certain outcomes.

Owen
VK1TX

Post by VK1TX »

OK , I GIVE UP!

LOOKS LIKE NOTHING WILL BE AGREED TO, EVERYBODY JUST KEEP PAYING THE LICENCE FEE PLUS THE TAX ETC.

LETS ALL GO ALONG LIKE SHEEP ASK NO QUESTIONS BELEIVE IN OUR WIA AND ACMA.

THEY KNOW WHAT'S BEST BECAUSE WE DARE NOT ROCK THE BOAT!

I WILL POST NO MORE ,GOOD LUCK.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK1TX wrote:OK , I GIVE UP!

LOOKS LIKE NOTHING WILL BE AGREED TO, EVERYBODY JUST KEEP PAYING THE LICENCE FEE PLUS THE TAX ETC.

Perhaps a lie down and another try when your thoughts are collected Om ?
right now your point escapes me .
VK7ZGK
Forum Novice

Post by VK7ZGK »

VK1TX wrote:OK , I GIVE UP!

At last the whinging will stop
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Well, Owen VK1OD, to respond to your post beginning "Hardly!", the posting which I linked was in response to a post by VK3ZFS concerning a Class Licence ". . . apply 1 time, then its for Life, no annual fees".

You have responded to my posting out of context :o

If such a Class Licence stipulated callsigns, where would they come from and who would establish and maintain a database, as you speculated would/could happen ? And who would pay for that ? That would be quite a different beast of Class Licence to that I commented on.

No need to go further, the "fee-free" Class Licence route looks like a dead duck, walks like a dead duck and smells like a dead duck, and the speculation about it being offered by the authorities and being rejected by the WIA is a smelly old regurgitated urban (amateur) myth - which was the central point of my posting.

Senor Tex has left the building 8)

Posted in the interests of - whatever :wink: