Why do we pay such a high cost of license

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK1VMA

Re: Why do we pay such a high cost of license

Post by VK1VMA »

Just got back from the USA, where I sat and passed two exams (Elements 2 and 3) for an FCC General class license. I paid $15 (USD) in total, to cover both the exams and my FCC license fee for 10 years. I believe the exam fee was $15, and the license itself was free. (I visit the USA regularly, and W7xyz is a lot less of a mouthful than "W7 slash VK1VMA portable Seattle", so a US callsign is worth having.)

The whole process is apparently electronic, apart from the administration of the test itself. The examiners forward the information to the FCC electronically, who then process it and issue a license with little to no human intervention. The FCC presumably incurs very little in the way of costs in issuing a license.

I was told to expect to see my new callsign to appear in the database in 7-10 days, a far cry from the 3-4 weeks generally seen in VK.
VK5STU

Post by VK5STU »

Given that the entry costs seem to revolve around exams...I wonder if it would be cheaper to move to an online exam system? I use to administer/run an online exam centre back in 2000 for the IT certification exams (who went to a Prometric testing centre? :) ). Upfront setup costs will be needed, though there are many examples of exam 'engines' out there. Aside from the practical test, all the rest are multi choice, so very easy to automate. The same question pool can be used and as questions change/evolve new papers do not need to be printed, just the question database updated. Instant submission, no more postage and reduced follow up work by the assessors. Uni's are doing it to some degree (based on my own recent experience) so it seems acceptable from an academic point of view. Supervision/cheating I hear you ask? It would not be too hard for existing club assessors to supervise test taking at a club venue or even as a sideline to a club meeting. All that would be needed is a laptop/PC with a browser and internet access. I agree it is not something I can see happening in reality. Food for thought perhaps.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Good Gawd Stuart,

You want to use modern technology?

Isn't that again the principles of the hobby?

:lol:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

online exam system
:D

I am a uni academic and many exams are going on-line these days. I have used them to examine students who are in Antarctica and Afghanistan.You still need an exam supervisor but they don't need to be an "expert" in the field. We use all sorts of people. You can set up a block on other internet access when the student logs on to the site to take the exam.

I am sure that there are people within the ham community who could help set this up with minimal expense.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

It is the ACMA that dictates the rules and procedures. Not the WIA.

Posted in the interests of centering the debate :)

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK5STU

Post by VK5STU »

I am sure that the WIA, as our representative body, would be able to suggest or demonstrate to the ACMA how such a system could help the government reduce costs, assuming the numbers do actually stack up. Cheaper entry into the hobby = more license holders = more ongoing revenue for ACMA.
VK1VMA

Post by VK1VMA »

Back when I was 17, I wanted to get licensed but lived in a country town in southwestern NSW. Sitting the exams would have meant a four and a half hour trip to Canberra.

While I could have very easily found a doctor, lawyer, JP, amateur or police officer to supervise an electronic exam, travelling that sort of distance to take the test wasn't going to happen. I only ended up getting licensed when I packed up and moved to Canberra for other reasons in my early 20's.

Had I not relocated, given that I wouldn't know what fun I was missing out on, it's unlikely I'd have ever bothered at all. I bet I'm not the only one who's found themselves in this situation.
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

VK2ZRH wrote:It is the ACMA that dictates the rules and procedures. Not the WIA.

So the WIA is required by the ACMA to charge as much as it does for exams?

And would the ACMA object if the WIA reduced the exam cost?
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Yes and yes.

VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Could you be more concise Roger?
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

No.

[ OK, OK. I took the bait :lol: ]
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Richard VK5ZLR asks two perfectly valid questions in relation to licence examination fees, which have no doubt occurred to many. Indeed, they seem to be perennial questions.

You may be aware that the WIA conducts the examination service under a Commonwealth Government Deed (contract) with the ACMA. This stipulates that the WIA charges fees "on a cost recovery basis only"; further, the Institute has to justify its fees to the ACMA annually, subject to an audit carried out by the ACMA. The Deed specifies all the rules and procedures for the administration of the licence examination and related callsign recommendation systems.

A detailed outline of the issues and their impact on examination fees is set out on the WIA website under the WIA President's BLOG page at: http://www.wia.org.au/joinwia/wia/presidentsblog/.

First, scroll down to January 2012 - Cost recovery and the WIA's charges (by Michael Owen VK3KI - SK); then scroll back up to June 2012 - Thoughts from an Audit (by Michael Owen VK3KI - SK).

Ex-President Michael Owen states unequivocally, in the January 2012 article -
I can assure you that the cost is not made up and does not include a large margin. Indeed, if the number of candidates drop, we will struggle to keep the costs down.
A PDF table of the current fees and charges (as at 1 December 2010) relating to licence examinations and related callsign recommendations is available for download from the WIA website here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2010/20101023-1/.

The underlying concern of both the ACMA and the WIA is that the licence examination and callsign recommendation systems are sustainable operations. Should a loss occur, the WIA would need to subsidise the service from its own financial resources until appropriate action succeeded in reversing that situation. An undertsandably "tetchy" scenario.

Comparing the cost of the Australian amateur licence examination system with that of other countries is akin to comparing seedless grapes with pomegranates - ie. there is no valid comparison. The regulator in Australia, the ACMA, has soverign jurisdiction over the system under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 (and other related legislation). Across the world, the policies of countries' regulators differ widely. Indeed, it is apparent that some countries' regulators operate an examination and licensing system that is subsidised by the countries' taxpayers. Not in Australia. The Radiocommunications Act 1992 (and related legislation) put paid to that in the early 1990s.

I commend the above to 'The House'.

Disclosure: I am currently a Director of the WIA.The above is presented as my personal understanding of the matter, sourced from publicly available sources, and should not be taken to represent the views or policies of the WIA. It can stick up for itself :)
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Thanks Roger.

Returning to the original point about annual licence fees, this edition of the 'Ham Radio Money Show' just so happens to discuss paying our $73 pa so may be topical!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnx5cofP9Y
Last edited by VK3YE on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

If it is all based purely on cost recovery then I would like someone to explain:
(a) why the cost of recommending a two letter callsign varies depending on the state you live in?
(b) why the cost of examinations is less if your under 18 years old?

Note: I've nothing against children getting a discount; I just want to know why the cost to the WIA is different.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK1TX

Post by VK1TX »

VK2XSO wrote:And we have a new club member today. He did his standard exam at the club today.
I fell off my chair when I saw how much he had to pay just to get into the hobby.

$70 for EACH exam. (x3) = $210
$20 to pick is callsign
$73 for licence

$303 to walk in off the street ?

Is anybody expecting this hobby to improve while this continues ?
It's rotten to the core and I'm now considering what it would cost me personally to put a business proposal to the ACMA to compete directly with the WIA for licence testing.
Here ,Here Good on you that's what I am talking about!
I wonder if next year if the Government increases the Licence Fee to $173 will all those Amateurs still say its a fair price to pay.
For our wonderful service : NO 1Kw ,no follow up on any interference problems, NO support from the WIA but just keeping paying and everything will be OK.
Maybe I will go to NZ ,and the negative people can say "thank God he has gone" ha ha :lol:
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK1TX wrote: I wonder if next year if the Government increases the Licence Fee to $173 will all those Amateurs still say its a fair price to pay.
For our wonderful service : NO 1Kw ,no follow up on any interference problems, NO support from the WIA but just keeping paying and everything will be OK.
Seriously, what do people think the WIA are? When you renew your licence the WIA have exactly zero input.

This is an ACMA matter. The WIA is merely a small percentage of licensed amateurs in this country.

They are not a legislative, governmental or decision making entity, they are at best a lobby group. As such they do a decent job, but they can not be expected to have ultimate influence over ACMA decisions.
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

The WIA have a clear conflict of interest.

They receive an income from the Government to administer the licencing regime, but yet are expected to "go into bat" for amateurs with the same Government agency.....

A nice, cosy little arrangement.
VK1VMA

Post by VK1VMA »

Why not create an exam you need to pass to earn a high power endorsement, delivered according to WIA's existing exam procedures? Make it all about EMR.

If you pass (with a suitably high passing grade, say 90%), you can have the endorsement added to your license. If you fail, no high power for you.

This should solve ACMA's competency argument with regards to high power operation.
VK5STU

Post by VK5STU »

VK1VMA wrote:Why not create an exam
I see where you are going but an exam is probably overkill & too much effort for the relatively small number of operators who would run high power. I do however support the current exam pool including questions on EMR compliance (perhaps they do and I just don't remember).

I would support a more rigorous application process in which EMR plan/compliance is detailed for assessment (with a fee no doubt). This way the operator is demonstrating (on paper at least) they are in compliance.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK5STU wrote:
VK1VMA wrote:Why not create an exam
I see where you are going but an exam is probably overkill & too much effort for the relatively small number of operators who would run high power. I do however support the current exam pool including questions on EMR compliance (perhaps they do and I just don't remember).

I would support a more rigorous application process in which EMR plan/compliance is detailed for assessment (with a fee no doubt). This way the operator is demonstrating (on paper at least) they are in compliance.
Assuming there was a clear concise delivery designed to accommodate a permit appendum an exam would provide imho an equatable solution
It might be considered an "extra" class and be priced minimally if not free being run on a volunteer basis , a little power over 400watts is unlikely to provide additional or any interference if experience is an guide , not exactly rocket science once the scoping is done now is it ? , scanning ebay a simple measuring instrument can be had reasonably so monitoring is on that basis easy , I see only one real impediment .
Barry
Last edited by VK4TI on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.