Olivia v JT65

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2FAK

Olivia v JT65

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All,

I was a bit surprised this evening when a US station(K2NCC) picked up both my Olivia 250/8 and JT65..

He copied my JT65 at a reported (hamspots) -20 and do not know the Olivia figure.....but the Olivia is suppose to have a low S/N of -15 as far as I have read..

The band in use was 18m, and both modes were 15w..

John
VK3KCX

Re: Olivia v JT65

Post by VK3KCX »

Hi John, I have also been pleasantly surprised how well some of the little known and used digital modes work. I have been using Olivia regularly for some time now and have found it's performance to be astounding - particularly on noisy frequencies where PSK31 would not stand a chance.

But don't stop at Oliva. it gets better yet! To the best of my knowledge the ultimate performing QSO mode at this time (as apposed to JT65) would without a doubt have to be ROS by EA5HVK Jose Alberto Nieto Ros.
This is a real performer with lots of handy inbuilt goodies - instant on screen reporting, built in instant on line messaging, auto email reports, built in propagation prediction, 3 baud rates, etc.

At present there are few people using this in Aust. in Europe this is huge and it is particularly interesting to see how much use it is getting on 6M, one Melbourne Ham has worked Spain on 6M ROS using a long wire!

What is more surprising however is why don't more people bother to try these modes. Why not give it a go, I would be delighted to run beacon mode from my very high location on 2M if anybody is interested.
Download it here http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

- David VK3KCX
Last edited by VK3KCX on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all..

David..good to hear you are having some good times with the modes.

I had tried ROS but from my last experience it seemed to be very CPU intensive...well with the laptop I run digital modes on anyway....

I think the issue there still remains, that US OP's can't use it. I think they did a trial on it from memory so not sure where there at .

I may give it another try...

John
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Hi John

I just love Digimodes, Adrian VK4RV introduced me to PSK31 a bit over a year ago when I was visiting him... and I was hooked shortly thereafter. I've had some contacts that would never been possible with SSB voice given the same power levels and antennas. e.g. A guy in France living a high rise with a 5Ft. whip clamped to the balcony rail, good QSO on 10M with 5 Watts both ends and patchy decodes at 1 Watt (ROS QSO not just call sign and signal report).

Testing by other persons better equipped than me has shown ROS to be up to 5dB better than Olivia at the same WPM speed, In my personal experience ROS4 is substantially more robust than Olivia 8/250.
On many occasions I've been working with my back to the radio, only to turn around and see calls that I have missed on the screen because I did not hear them.

I believe that ROS is not used in the US because of a misunderstanding or mistranslation early on that caused somebody in the ARRL to categorise it as a spread spectrum mode - which it clearly is not.
Some people have speculated that there was discrimination against Jose because he was not a licensed ham at the time. (?)

- David VK3KCX
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

Another mode worth trying is JT9-x

on HF, x usually = 1..... and JT9 takes up about 1/10th of the bandwidth of JT65 or around 1/100th that of ROS :)

All have their uses and all are fun.

John
VK7XX
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

I have JT9 and used it....but mainly on 20m where it seems to be the most active, but again its format is like JT65 and not really a chat mode...but as you say..they all have there uses..and better to use something thats working on the day, than turning on the TV..

John