Operating In New Zealand With Standard Licence

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK5FACE
Forum Novice

Operating In New Zealand With Standard Licence

Post by VK5FACE »

Hi Everyone

Im Currently Working On My Standard Licence And I Was Wondering About Recipriocal Licencing With New Zealand And Wether Or Not I Can Operate There On A Standard Licence (Assuming i get it). I Have Looked On The Websites Of ACMA, WIA, NZART & RSM And Still Cant Find What Im Looking For. Can Someone Please Help Me Out

Cheers

Andrew

VK5FACE
Cheers
Andrew

VK5FACE
PF94HU
http://www.youtube.com/AHRadioVK5
VK2GOM

Re: Operating In New Zealand With Standard Licence

Post by VK2GOM »

Andrew,

Although outside of Europe, both Australia and New Zealand participate in the CEPT system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_ra ... _operation

So yes, you can operate as a reciprocal license without doing anything at all, just sign as ZL(call area) / VK5xxx

If you wanted to obtain an actual ZL license this is a little different from operating as ZLx/VK5xxx, but I don't foresee a problem. You would need to apply to the NZ authority (whoever they are - can't help you there) once you have your VK license and it will only be a paperwork exercise.

Hopefully someone who has done this before can elaborate?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

A Standard would not be sufficient to map straight across to a ZL ticket. One of our locals just got rejected on that basis. He tried to obtain the ZL "full call" (they only have one class of licence there now) on the basis of his Aussie Standard. NZART let it go all the way through, then tore it up. They reckon only our Advanced maps to their "one size fits all" ticket now.
John VK4TJ
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Something like this subject was bought up before and discussed at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11549 . Maybe there is something in the links there that might help.

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

VK5FACE wrote:Hi Everyone

Im Currently Working On My Standard Licence And I Was Wondering About Recipriocal Licencing With New Zealand And Wether Or Not I Can Operate There On A Standard Licence (Assuming i get it). I Have Looked On The Websites Of ACMA, WIA, NZART & RSM And Still Cant Find What Im Looking For. Can Someone Please Help Me Out

Cheers

Andrew

VK5FACE
Reciprocal licensing no. Operation as a visiting ham possibly. Requirements are the Foundation Class licence meets ITU-R M.1544 or CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT T/R 61-02. You'll need to check if the standard licence does, but it probably would.
ZL3PX
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3PX »

To save all the confusion hop onto the NZART web site www.NZART.co.nz
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

ZL3PX wrote:To save all the confusion hop onto the NZART web site http://www.NZART.co.nz
I think you mean http://www.nzart.org.nz/
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK/9V1CJ wrote:
VK5FACE wrote:Im Currently Working On My Standard Licence And I Was Wondering About Recipriocal Licencing With New Zealand And Wether Or Not I Can Operate There On A Standard Licence (Assuming i get it). I Have Looked On The Websites Of ACMA, WIA, NZART & RSM And Still Cant Find What Im Looking For. Can Someone Please Help Me Out
Reciprocal licensing no. Operation as a visiting ham possibly. Requirements are the Foundation Class licence meets ITU-R M.1544 or CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT T/R 61-02. You'll need to check if the standard licence does, but it probably would.
According to information on the ACMA web site only the advanced licence complies with CEPT T/R 61-01.
See http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spectru ... tification
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

This seems very clear & unambiguous on the ACMA website:

Australia's amateur licence (amateur advanced station) is recognised under CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01. Amateurs holding that licence may operate in participating CEPT countries during short visits without having to obtain a licence from those countries. Operating conditions are those of the country visited and not those applicable to the amateur licence (amateur advanced station).

Taken from the link provided by VK5ZD...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5FACE
Forum Novice

Post by VK5FACE »

Could Someone Define Recipriocal Licencing For Me, I May Have Screwed My Terms Up.

Im Going On Holidays For Two Weeks At The End Of The Year. Not Sure If Times Have An Affect On The Situation

Cheers

Andrew
Cheers
Andrew

VK5FACE
PF94HU
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

In simple terms when international regulators recognise overseas qualifications to equate to their own qualifications.

Unless you have an Australian Advanced license you can't operate in NZ. Period. In black & white.

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/zl_visit.pdf

http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option ... &Itemid=74

Using your amateur licence in other countries

In practice a visitor has now to:

Check that his national licence class does qualify for a CEPT Licence and that his national licence document confirms this. If not then confirmation that the licence held is equivalent to the CEPT licence is needed from his national licence authority.
Check what national licence class in the country to be visited is equivalent to the CEPT Licence.
Check what are the operating privileges and regulations covering the use of that national licence class in the country to be visited.Use the appropriate prefix which has to be appended to his own national callsign.
The key point is that the operating privileges for the visitor operating under the CEPT Licence are defined by the COUNTRY BEING VISITED, NOT THE PRIVILEGES IN HIS OWN COUNTRY.
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

It's dead simple. Look at your licence and see if it's got this bit on it:
Licence.png
If it has then you can operate in New Zealand; if not you can't.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK5FACE
Forum Novice

Post by VK5FACE »

Does This Apply To Echolink ?
Cheers
Andrew

VK5FACE
PF94HU
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK5FACE wrote:Does This Apply To Echolink ?
No. The reciprocal licencing arrangements are only for operating transmitters; you can do what you like with a PC.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK4VHD
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VHD »

VK4TJ wrote:A Standard would not be sufficient to map straight across to a ZL ticket. One of our locals just got rejected on that basis. He tried to obtain the ZL "full call" (they only have one class of licence there now) on the basis of his Aussie Standard. NZART let it go all the way through, then tore it up. They reckon only our Advanced maps to their "one size fits all" ticket now.
John VK4TJ
But didn't he try to get an Australian Advanced licence when he returned?
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

The section of the ZL Amateur Radio GURL applying to visiting amateur operators was modified a few weeks ago and now reads:

4. Terms, conditions and restrictions applying to visiting amateur operators—

(1) Persons visiting New Zealand who hold a current amateur certificate of competency, authorisation or licence issued by another administration, may operate an amateur station in New Zealand for a period not exceeding 90 days, provided the certificate, authorisation or licence meets the requirements of Recommendation ITU-R M.1544 or CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT T/R 61-02 and is produced at the request of the chief executive.

(2) The visiting overseas operator must use the national callsign allocated by the other administration to the operator, in conjunction with the prefix or suffix “ZL”, except where subsection (3) applies, which is to be separated from the national callsign by the character “/” (telegraphy), or the word “stroke” (telephony).

(3) The visiting overseas operator may use the prefix or suffix:
a. ZL7 when visiting the Chatham Islands
b. ZL8 when visiting the Kermadec Islands
c. ZL9 when visiting the Sub-Antarctic Islands

Perhaps this change allows different classes of VK licence to be used by visitors to ZL?

Link to the full ZL Amateur Radio GURL: http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/ty ... -operators

VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

ZL1RS wrote:...

Perhaps this change allows different classes of VK licence to be used by visitors to ZL?
Bob, that makes it clearer now. It seems a lot of VK licencees have thought anything goes in ZL, any VK licencee can operate in ZL.

The CEPT endorsement is only on the Advanced license. Though we have seen discussion about some folks view of the level of our Standard, it is not recognised at the CEPT level.

The principle behind most regulations on remote repeater access is that a station ought not obtain access to modes and bands that they would not have if operating in that jurisdiction on a licence issued on the basis of their own licence. That principle is usually enshrined more or less in the regulations of the jurisdiction where the transmitter is located.

In most cases, it is the licencee of the repeater who is in breach if an 'unlicenced' person remotely 'operates' a repeater, those two terms having meaning specific to a jurisdiction.

Owen
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

I am not sure exactly what it was that the NZ Government changed in this section of the ZL Amateur Radio GURL, but I did not recall reading so many options of "qualifying" requirements ...
provided the certificate, authorisation or licence meets the requirements of Recommendation ITU-R M.1544 or CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT T/R 61-02
... I remember CEPT T/R 61-02 was there previously, but perhaps not the others?? (although I am willing to accept that my memory might be defective and they might have been there all the time) :?

Does the VK standard license meet any of the other requirements?

VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

ZL1RS wrote:I am not sure exactly what it was that the NZ Government changed in this section of the ZL Amateur Radio GURL, but I did not recall reading so many options of "qualifying" requirements ...
provided the certificate, authorisation or licence meets the requirements of Recommendation ITU-R M.1544 or CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT T/R 61-02
... I remember CEPT T/R 61-02 was there previously, but perhaps not the others?? (although I am willing to accept that my memory might be defective and they might have been there all the time) :?

Does the VK standard license meet any of the other requirements?

HI Bob,

Here is my understanding...

ITU-R M.1544 is not very detailed, it recommends administration require demonstration of technical knowledge in a number of areas but does not specify the level of that knowledge.

CEPT T/R 61-01 is about making it possible for licenced amateurs to operate in another administration for a short term.

CEPT T/R 61-02 is about the competency standard for qualification, and sets the benchmark for standards for administrations that wish to participate in the Harmonised Amateur Radio Examinations Certificates (HAREC) which makes for a simpler system for recognition of qualifications and licencing in one administration based on qualifications obtained in another. Whilst originally implemented in Europe (CEPT is for the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations), many administrations around the world participate in the scheme.

The Australian examinations for Advanced are CEPT T/R 61-02 compliant (it is actually the AOCP and grandfathered AOLCP that are recognised), the Standard and Foundation exams are not compliant, and were never designed to be compliant.

Australian Advanced licences have a declaration of conformity with CEPT T/R 61-02 on the licence document (in three languages IIRC). Such a licence could be presented to a particpating administration to obtain a licence under CEPT T/R 61-02. The other Australian grades do not comply with CEPT T/R 61-02.

Owen