Windows 8

VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Windows 8

Post by VK2CSW »

I didn't think it was possible but Windoze 8 both sucks and blows all at the same time.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Windows 8

Post by VK4TI »

VK2CSW wrote:I didn't think it was possible but Windoze 8 both sucks and blows all at the same time.
If win 8 was a human it would be bother limp wristed and drooling
The added start button and dumping most of the front end makes it near usable , almost
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

It didn't get nicknamed the 'Fisher Price' OS for nothing :D

I will be sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Is this the original W8 or the re-designed version with the Start button back again?

Either way, Windows 8 was primarily meant for tablets and other touch-screen devices.
I don't have a tablet, nor intend to get one!

At least you can still purchase Windows 7. :D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK4GHZ wrote:Is this the original W8 or the re-designed version with the Start button back again?

Either way, Windows 8 was primarily meant for tablets and other touch-screen devices.
I don't have a tablet, nor intend to get one!

At least you can still purchase Windows 7. :D
Win 8.1 is not yet in wide circulation, and Win8 is not just designed for tablets it is designed as a new paradigm - problem is is has regressed so far that Windows for Workgroups actually has a better interface.

I have just had to buy a new laptop - I ain't shelling out for another OS (try and buy a machine with Win7)
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Windows 8..im having problems getting SDR# working with a Realtech DVB-T doungle..USB driver issues :(
Has anyome here had luck with WIN 8 and SRD# with DVB-T doungle ??
VK3FADZ

Post by VK3FADZ »

VK4GHZ wrote:Is this the original W8 or the re-designed version with the Start button back again?
Don't get too excited about that start button. It's only a button, not the whole start menu. (aka: Clicking on it simply takes you back into the 'metro' interface). Microsoft are pretty arrogant in their approach that you will accept their new design sooner or later - whether you want to or not because they know what the user really wants, not the user.

There are 3rd party software available to hide Metro, and give you back a whole start menu. (Classic Start is one of them). Not too bad for the home user, but most businesses I know won't implement 3rd party 'fixes' like that, and as such are staying with Windows 7. (Well, actually I know a number of large corporations staying with XP!)

It's a pitty - the back end of Windows 8 is actually pretty well designed - it's just the user interface (the bit we have to live with) that they've really messed up - and refuse to listen to the requests of so many of their customers.
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

im contemplating a simple/cheap i5 windoze laptop for ham stuff, and since they all now come with windows 8, was wondering if its got better/easier?

is anyone happily using win8 as the home OS for radio activities, ie, ham radio deluxe, SDR, flidigi, WSPR and WSJT, SSTV, chirp, etc etc etc,

or should I buy and downgrade to win 7?
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I would re-format the HDD and do a fresh install of W7 64.
(Unless 8 allows you to dual-boot?)

If you believe the media, consumers are dumping the idea of traditional desk top machines and laptops in favor of tablet devices.... hence Windows 8.

ABC News 24 - The Technology Quarter:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/t ... er/4859378
You can press play and then slide along to 5:54 where the story starts.

If you believe this, then dumbed down consumer Windows 8 type operating systems aren't going away quickly. :cry:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK3BQ wrote: is anyone happily using win8 as the home OS for radio activities, ie, ham radio deluxe, SDR, flidigi, WSPR and WSJT, SSTV, chirp, etc etc etc,
Yes, my 4 year old laptop runs Windows 8 Pro. Its my main PC and I run HRD 5.24 with CAT control to my FT-840, JT65, WSPR, Chirp etc without any issues.

Seriously, I don't know what all the fuss is about (once you re-add the start button).
Theo
VK5IR
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK5MTM wrote:
VK3BQ wrote: is anyone happily using win8 as the home OS for radio activities, ie, ham radio deluxe, SDR, flidigi, WSPR and WSJT, SSTV, chirp, etc etc etc,
Yes, my 4 year old laptop runs Windows 8 Pro. Its my main PC and I run HRD 5.24 with CAT control to my FT-840, JT65, WSPR, Chirp etc without any issues.

Seriously, I don't know what all the fuss is about (once you re-add the start button).
win8 is the reason we just replaced several dozen pos with linux based machines , simpler cheaper and dedicated not dragging hundreds of useless bits with it , also the reason most businesses I know are still on xp or maybe win7 , win 8 the vista of os
just like cocoa pops but stupid ?
VK3YCQ

Post by VK3YCQ »

I have just finished a major computer overhaul, with new hardware and a new operating system. As much as I like Windows XP, I felt it was time to move with the times and use Windows 8. Windows 7 seems to be unavailable from the Microsoft website (even though they offer links to it). Besides, Windows 8 is cheaper if you take the 'street' price. The most important question is of course ..."does it work?" In my experience so far (a few weeks), it does indeed work, on the proviso that you ditch the idiot 'Metro' interface and resist all attempts to direct the user to Microsoft apps.

So far I have tested a reasonable sample of Amateur Radio software. WSJT (JT-65, WSPR, JT65HF) all works), MMSSTV works, Ham Radio Deluxe works (the last freeware version, others not tested). I have had issues with drivers for Prolific USB-RS232 converters... the old Prolific hardware does not work owing to lack of updated drivers, probably also due to the fact that there is a lot of counterfeit hardware around (see Prolific website). Luckily, the motherboard I chose has a legacy COM port built in, so I no longer need the converter.

I have yet to test the Funcube and DVB-type SDR.

UPDATE: both the Funcube Pro SDR and the Terratec DVB SDR receivers work quite happily under windows 8 64-bit. I tested both these receivers using SDR# and HDSDR, both with the latest (August 2013) versions.

Ian
Last edited by VK3YCQ on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3YCQ

Post by VK3YCQ »

VK3ZFS wrote:Windows 8..im having problems getting SDR# working with a Realtech DVB-T doungle..USB driver issues :(
Has anyome here had luck with WIN 8 and SRD# with DVB-T doungle ??
Hi, just thought I'd offer this as a probable solution: The driver you are trying to install for SDR-# is considered by windoze 8 to be 'unsigned'. In order to install an 'unsigned' driver you have to tell Windows 8 to allow such things to occur. I had exactly the same issue with a Terratec DVB-T dongle (Windows 8, 64-bit version) until I looked under the hood and discovered there is a way to allow an unsigned driver to install. Instead of me telling you the method here, try windows help (press F1) as the answer is there.

You could try this link, which is where I got the idea from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2303046

Note that the control panel he refers to is the Windows 8 one, which you can find by moving your mouse to the right-hand edge of the windoze 8 screen and click in the appropriate places. You'll get there in the end... if you are still stuck let me know. I am happy to report that my Terratec dongle happily works with SDR# in Windoze 8.

cheers,

Ian
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

My 10 year old laptop finally failed to respond to "percussive maintenance" and was pronounced dead. Enter a new machine with Winblows8 and 2 weeks of frustration setting it up to MY liking and learning how to drive it (many things are the same as XP just "hidden" in different places :roll: ) Finally getting somewhere and today managed to install SDR# with the required unsigned driver ... after finding how to allow them as hinted above. Thank you for that.

If someone could point me towards info on how to add a classic "Start button" into Win8 (I hope I did not misunderstand the term or it wasn't a joke) I'd probably be a lot happier with it ... maybe :?

73, Bob ZL1RS

BTW, I got the R820T TV tuner and an HF up-converter unit to go with it. The combination seems to work quite well as a general coverage receiver and I am reasonably happy with the result for the minimal expense. A 0.1uV VHF signal is plainly audible (in USB mode) using the dongle by itself, and with judicious setting of the "gain" slider it performs fairly well on the HF bands with the up-converter showing surprisingly little overload for a wideband front end. More fun than a barrel of monkeys and the (more or less) 2 MHz wide waterfall will be useful (which was the main reason for getting it).
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK3YCQ

Post by VK3YCQ »

Hi Bob,

I would suggest http://www.classicshell.net/ if you wish to be rid of the dreaded Metro GUI. At least 'classic shell' will allow you to operate pretty much as if you were using Windoze XP or 7 without getting rid of Metro entirely. Note I am not endorsing this software other than to say it works for me and I have noticed nothing untoward or strange happening so far. It does install Media Player Classic at the same time as a new start button, which isn't such a terrible thing.

Best of luck with the new Windblows,

Ian
VK3YCQ
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

I'm sure Windows 8 has downgrade rights to Windows 7, but you would need to check which version (OEM vs Retail etc) you plan on getting. I know Windows 7 has downgrade rights to XP.
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

Downgrade rights are usually confined to the top level in Windows operating systems.

I'm running Win7 Pro which allows XP as a virtual PC mode, while the wife has Win7 Home and that doesn't allow anything. Even trying to install it on her machine brings up a message saying not allowed.

A solution is to install a virtual PC and load Win XP into that. Plenty of tutorials on the net with a quick Google search.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Win7 Pro can be completely downgraded to Vista or XP. Win8 Pro can be downgraded to 7 or Vista (but why would you bother with Vista?). This is a bare metal format/reinstall so you're running Native Win7:

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en-gb/lice ... ights.aspx

If you're running a home version you're SOL though. Hopefully they fix some of the issues with a service pack?

Running Win8 Home just to have everything in a VM is silly though, because you need to buy another licence for the guest OS. If you have to buy another licence anyway make it a Win8 Pro and downgrade your main OS. Then you don't have to worry about VM's (Although in Win7 Pro you can still use XP mode for those legacy apps!).

You are better off making sure when you buy a new PC that the OS is either suitable or you can downgrade it to one that is. I don't like "Home" versions for this reason, they have several features lopped off that I want so even on my home computer I still buy the Professional version.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

VK3YCQ wrote: ... I would suggest http://www.classicshell.net/ if you wish to be rid of the dreaded Metro GUI.
Done a few days ago and a happy camper. Now I can "find my way around".

The new PC under Win8 will run my required windows programs (WSPR, Spectrum Lab, Skymoon, etc), but not 16 bit DOS programs. I still have another old laptop running XP pro for that on the rare occasions it is necessary (e.g I find YO is still useful to quickly rough out a new Yagi design before going into 4nec2 to "polish it up" and see what I've really got).

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Ian, thanks for the tip on Classic shell. I work at a large private school (3,700 students) and we have been struggling with the concept of Win8 on non touch desktops for the classrooms (still using Win7 at present).
VK3YCQ wrote:
I would suggest http://www.classicshell.net/ if you wish to be rid of the dreaded Metro GUI. At least 'classic shell' will allow you to operate pretty much as if you were using Windoze XP or 7 without getting rid of Metro entirely. Note I am not endorsing this software other than to say it works for me and I have noticed nothing untoward or strange happening so far. It does install Media Player Classic at the same time as a new start button, which isn't such a terrible thing.

Ian
VK3YCQ
Regards,
Peter, vk5pj