VK4 Microwave Activity Day - July 28

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

VK4 Microwave Activity Day - July 28

Post by VK4GHZ »

It's time to go mad! :D

When: Sunday, July 28, starting 10:00am
Liaison: VK4RBN Mt Glorious FM repeater, 147.000 (-600 kHz offset, no CTCSS)

Microwave Activity Day (MAD) - The only dedicated microwave activity events in South East Queensland

Calling all microwave enthusiasts, this activity day is not to be missed.
Mark your calendar now.

With 16 operators participating in the February 2013 Microwave Activity Day, these events are growing in popularity.
  • No rules
  • No scoring
  • Pure microwave experimentation fun :D
All bands from 23cm (1296 MHz) and up are activated.
Some stations are even are up as high as 24 GHz!

What gear?
Enthusiasts are running IC-910's, IC-9100's and TS-2000's on 1296, and there are a few (very nice!) IC-970's out there as well.
These rigs are a great way to ease into the higher bands.
On 2.4 GHz and above, most gear is "home-brew", and there are a number of excellent transverter kits/modules available to suit all budgets.

I don't have many bands
Nobody cares how many bands you have, or how much power you can run.
Many participants have one, maybe two bands only, and low power "bare-foot" transverters - but they're getting tremendous satisfaction working impressive distances with this home-brew microwave gear.

How well does your gear perform?
The $64 question.
These regular events allow you to try out your gear, benchmark it, and in the ham spirit, tweak & optimise with an overall aim to maximise the performance of your gear, and therefore the distances you can achieve.

Interested, but don't have any microwave gear?
No problem!
Contact a microwaver who will be operating at a hill top near you.
They will be delighted in showing off their home-brew gear, and how much of a buzz it can be.

In case you've missed these, some recent MAD videos for you to watch. (Click on the thumbnail to go to each YouTube video)

Image Image Image

Microwaves - it's beyond me. Too hard :?
Rubbish!
Some of this microwave gear can be off putting, can't it.
But you will soon discover it isn't that difficult. For instance; "hardline" and SMA connectors can be easier to work with than RG-58 and a PL259!
S/E Queensland has a great bunch of microwave enthusiasts, who can provide help and advice.
"Test and Tune up days" offer the ability to check out your gear, and "pick the brains" of experienced microwavers.

Image Image Image

To assist co-ordination, please post below, indicating what bands you may be active on, and your proposed location.

Advising where you intend to be will help avoid multiple stations turning up on the same hill unexpectedly.
D 'oh!
It will also help anyone interested to contact you, and see what we get up to.

:!: It is also very helpful if you could spend a few moments to create/update your VK Logger /P profile, with location details (especially lat/lon), so others may obtain distance and bearing information.
VK Logger's Mapping facility (Sign in, see main menu at bottom) allows you to easily determine latitude and longitude anywhere.
Distance and bearing calculations on VK Logger use the "Vincenty formula" (same as the WIA use) for distance calculations.

Please post your intentions below:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: VK4 Microwave Activity Day - July 28

Post by VK4CLG »

looking forward to it. My 2.4g transverter may not be up and running by then but very interested in seeing how it's done. Had a keen interest in Microwave for a while and now finally doing it not that I understand one inch of what makes it work. Anyone going back to Howells Knob at Maleny this time or am I going to have to find someone further south of the Sunshine Coast. I would like to work from Howells knob on 1.2g at least with the ic-910H.
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

G'day everyone

Count me in!

I thought I would go back up to Howells Knob and Maleny but happy to see anyone there. I will try to run all bands
1.2 2.4 5.7 and 10 GHz with QRO 2m FM liaison and also 40 m SSB capability.

I have been thinking that 146.525 MHz FM Simplex might be better for liaison option than 146.500 as there appear to be quite a few other around the area who also use this frequency for chit-chat etc.

My TS-2000 is still away so will have to think of another rig to use for 1296

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

I'm in, still deciding on location.

Will definitely have 1.2, 2.4 and 3.4GHz. 5.7, 10 & 24GHz will depend on the courier gods.

Will be broadcasting TV live via VK4RKC as well.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

I'm in (at least for now as I've double booking my time over something else and will see if I get away with it :wink: ) and will be on 1.2, 2.4 and 10GHz (tnx again Doug VK4OE

Location.... Probably up next to Walter Henderson Park @ Kobble Creek (do need to confirm again with owner of site though), but have been looking a a range of other locations in QG63 and QG64 that may just have to be tried so we can extend the distances! :shock:

As a result of participating in these days I've taken the next step and have now started my own 2.4GHz tvtr project with tvtr kit and 30w amp now in hand! :D
Last edited by VK4CZ on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

My options are a little vague at this point in time due to a recent QTH shift but I hope to do something for this event - even if it is just from the back yard. Plenty of trees in the NW, N and NE directions from here, along with a big metal shed, so that is definitely not going to help at microwave. I will have to try to scout out some relatively-nearby high spots that might work for me as an alternative.

I do know where all of the FD gear is in that shed so that is a bonus as I'm not really sure where everything else got put during the move.... :D
Hopefully 1296, 2403, 3400, 5760 and 10368 will be available on the day.

Liasion : 147.000 repeater, 146.500 or 145.650 simplex - all the same to me.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4ADC wrote:My options are a little vague at this point in time due to a recent QTH shift but I hope to do something for this event - even if it is just from the back yard. Plenty of trees in the NW, N and NE directions from here, along with a big metal shed, so that is definitely not going to help at microwave. I will have to try to scout out some relatively-nearby high spots that might work for me as an alternative.

I do know where all of the FD gear is in that shed so that is a bonus as I'm not really sure where everything else got put during the move.... :D
Hopefully 1296, 2403, 3400, 5760 and 10368 will be available on the day.

Liasion : 147.000 repeater, 146.500 or 145.650 simplex - all the same to me.
Take a look at the topo map behind and around you on the way west , some good spots there I think
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Although I like trying out new spots (easily get bored with the same old, same old!), I will be returning to Katoomba Point Lookout, Toowoomba, as per last activity day.
I will have an all-new 10GHz setup, and want to do some direct comparisons with previous results before moving on.
There is a high likelihood I will also have 5.7 GHz running by July as a new band as well. :D

Summary:
Katoomba Point Lookout, QG52xk
Bands: 1296, 2403, 3400, 5760, 10368
Liaison: VK4RBN 147.000 repeater

I will also have iChat (microwave) running, as I actually prefer the silent nature of this, allowing the ears to concentrate on listening for other things.

My portable VK Logger profile VK4GHZ/P has been updated with grid square and lat/lon info.
This allows you to determine your bearing to me, and more interestingly, distance of the path.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK4QF

Post by VK4QF »

I don't have any um gear but would like to get involved. I'm at larkhill on top of mount Stradbroke. Line of site to Toowoomba, Moreton Island, Brisbane Valley ranges and Cunninghams gap.
If no wants to setup here I'd like to visit with someone on another hilltop.
Dean
Ps you'll need 4x4 to get to top or I can take you up. It's also a nice walk.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

For any new-ish forum users, the forum has a "Subscription" facility.

At the bottom left of each topic (scroll down!), you will see a clickable link that will "subscribe" you to that topic.
You can also do this on a forum-by-forum basis, as per the screen shot below.

When somebody posts in a topic (or forum) you are subscribed to, you will automatically receive an email notification advising of this.
It is also an easy single-click to unsubscribe from a previously subscribed to topic (or forum).

Subscriptions are an ideal (and fool proof!) way of ensuring you "keep up with the conversation" on things of particular interest to you.
More information on subscriptions can be found in the existing help topic.

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Adam, would like to join you up at Toowoomba to see what the activity is like. I have no microwave gear however am interested. Let me know if I can tag along.

Regards,
Eddie - VK4EDD
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

To Dean - VK4QF

I have a 4x4, and some gear, be very happy to discover a new site.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4QF

Post by VK4QF »

No worries Peter.
I would appreciate learning all I can about what makes the microwave guys tick.
More the merrier.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4EDD wrote:Adam, would like to join you up at Toowoomba to see what the activity is like. I have no microwave gear however am interested. Let me know if I can tag along.
Hi Eddie
No problem!
Come up and say hello.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Changing my plans..... Peter VK4EA will now be operating from the Walter Henderson Park location above Kobble Creek.

I'll be QRV from Mt Mee:
Grid: QG62IV
Lat: -27.09602370
Long: 152.72540510
ASL: 525m

Bands: 1296, 2403, 10368
Liaison: VK4RBN 147.000 repeater
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Confirming my site for the day as Kobble Creek, with 1.2 to 24GHz capability.

And I will be broadcasting live to the Brisbane ATV repeater, most likely via the 2.4GHz input. Anybody with a manually tunable STB can view the shenangins on 446.5MHz DVB-T ;)
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4QF

Post by VK4QF »

Last edited by VK4QF on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Dean,

I sent you a PM re the location so I can do some profiling and heading calculations, more than happy to try another location given there is some decent elevation.

The rough estimate of location shows an excellent path to where Adam will be located, but a huge challenge to get to Howells Knob (pesky Mt Glorious in the way).

Shoot me a PM or email to vk4ea@rumpleteazer.net please.
VK4QF wrote:So does anyone have any gear available on the day that they would be prepared to loan? My one and only visitor looks like he is off to another hilltop and I'll be sitting there all lonely.
If not, no biggy.
There's nothing available on vk ham for 23cm and above.
Dean
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all!

It seems that the Border Ranges National Park location is still inaccessible so, weather permitting, I propose to go to my previously used 'stamping ground about 5 metres from the Q'ld-NSW border at Springbrook, QG61PS.

All microwave bands to and including 24 GHz should be available.

Looking forward to a lot of fun being had by all!

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Guys

I will not be participating in this one - I have just realised that I have double-booked ((((( :oops: ))))) and the other event is just a once-a-year thing. My next microwaving effort will have to wait until the Spring VHF/UHF Field Day. (And at least by then, I should be able to find all of the FD bits in the shed....)

I hope the rest of you have an good day out with lots of stations active to make it worthwhile.

Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com