VK > EU in May

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Re: VK > EU in May

Post by VK5BC »

Well done Gary, you & Mark (VK8MS) have certainly given the 6m world some thing to think about and perhaps more notice should be taken of Roger VK2ZRH theories & analysis of happenings. One thing I been wondering about is why some northern VK6 stations haven't been experiencing similar openings, or have they?

Maybe next equinox we may see some activity from this cycle peak down south.

73 Brian
VK5BC
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Re: VK > EU in May

Post by VK4ABW »

VK5BC wrote:Well done Gary, you & Mark (VK8MS) have certainly given the 6m world some thing to think about and perhaps more notice should be taken of Roger VK2ZRH theories & analysis of happenings. One thing I been wondering about is why some northern VK6 stations haven't been experiencing similar openings, or have they?
73 Brian
VK5BC
Roger on that Brian. I just love turning the six mtr world upside down :lol: :D :shock: :P

Another excellent opening across Europe last night. As per the recent May/June openings, no 49ers were heard, no Dubai this time but.....we did spot Iran on 48.239 at S9 briefly.
Both Marc and I called CQ for about 10 - 15 minutes before we started getting replies. As per our local arrangement, Marc took the lower half of the cw segment and i took the high ground.
Contest style - high speed cw operating netted dozens of contacts across Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, Hungary, Slovenia & Spain but that damn G3 station eluded us again (he was just too weak to pull out) :shock: Pop YU7EF could hear me but unforuntately i did not see his post on VKLogger until too late.

The opening commenced at exactly the same time as the 22nd June opening, but of interest this time was it lasted 2 hours :shock: Also of note, I continued working stations in central EU for about 20 minutes after Marc lost propagation? I am not sure if this is due to differences in our systems (our setups are extremely similar), or just plain old lady luck smiling on me :?:

My ears needed a good rest too, after wearing headphones for two hours listening to the pile ups :wink:

I am not aware of any other VK's working these openings.

OOPS: Last minute edit......both Marc and I agree, these openings are exactly at 315 degrees. I have tried moving the beam but every time i do, the window disappears.
Please correct if i am wrong Marc.
Station parameters
VK8AW - VK8MS
6M9KHW 6M9 2WL
44ft AGL 42ft AGL
LDF5-50 LDF4-50
20db preamp 20db preamp
IC7700 IC7700
We are both on elevated sites in Darwin, approxmately 5k apart.

de Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
Rocking the 6mtr world and shaking the tree of knowledge 8)